Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:44:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?  (Read 24485 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »

i can see it now... dolphins playing in a frigid game where they never have success, tough crowd on the road, against a team with nothing to lose, etc...

they lose, omg this team sucks, they can't even beat the chiefs, told you so, blah blah blah

they win, big deal, its not like they beat the steelers or something. that team sucks, they haven't played anybody, wait till next week, blah blah blah

the freaking fickle dolphin fans can't enjoy anything with this team, and will never be happy with anything. the act is soooo tired, like crabby, cranky old men and reminds me of those debbie downer skits on snl. good grief, not only can we find ways to dismiss unexpected success this year, but now we are looking at how this will foreshadow crappy teams the next few years.

Glad someone said it
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:10 am »

I think there's a good chance of a "sophomore slump", if only because the Dolphins have overperformed this year. Yeah, yeah, a win is a win and all that counts is your record. Fine, but that has lower correlation with future performance than any number of other metrics - and by all those, we overperformed.

And that's even disregarding the HUGE scheduling issue. There's just no way we get as easy a schedule next year - not because of how we've done this year, but simply because we're not going to be matched with the AFC West and NFC West (both of whom could still wind up sending an 8-8 division champ to the playoffs!).

Instead of the Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks and Rams we'll face the Panthers, Falcons, Buccaneers and Saints. That's a jump from 18 combined wins to 36 combined wins (using todays standings). Any way you look at it, that's going to be a lot tougher.

And instead of the Broncos, Chargers, Raiders and Chiefs, we'll see the Titans, Colts, Texans and Jaguars. That's a jump in combined wins from 19 to 35. No doubt a much harder group of teams, baring some collective collapses, of course.

Our best hope is to parley our over-achievement into luring some quality free agents. Otherwise, I'd be content with 8-8 next year.

QFT.  Those two divisions scare me.  I've said this in another thread, but I'll say it here. 

Tennessee-  Best record in the AFC.  Plays just like our team this year, but with far superior talent on both sides of the ball.   

Indianapolis-  Peyton Manning, Joseph Addai, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark.  That'll keep a lot of defensive coordinators up at night.

Jacksonville-  A good team having a bad season.  I expect them to rebound strongly next year. 

Houston- Always finds a way to beat the Dolphins.

Carolina- DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart is a more talented version of R&R.  Plus, Steve Smith is better than Ted Ginn will ever be. 

Tampa Bay- Another stiff defense, with a plethora of talented runners and a QB who can hurt you with his legs as well as his arm. 

Atlanta-  Matt Ryan, Roddy White, and Michael Turner are all young and blossoming.  They will lay waste to a lot of opposing defenses next season. 

New Orleans- Already doing what Atlanta aspires.  Drew Brees firing to Marques Colston and Devery Henderson, along with Reggie Bush bunny hopping around the ends and Pierre Thomas busting up the middle would scare the daylights out of any defensive coordinator. 

Now.... let's assume we beat the Jets and win the division.  We would then face: 

Pittsburgh-  That defense can stop General Patton's tanks.   Nuff said. 

Denver/San Diego-  Another scary offense that will have revenge on it's mind/A very talented team that underachieved (see Jacksonville)

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 01:00:50 am »

I agree with Maine's earlier post.

The supposedly "elite" teams this year would get stomped unmercifully by the powerhouse teams of years past.  I have said that TEN is a smokescreen from day 1 (Kerry Collins? Seriously?), and I fully expect them to get bounced in their first playoff game.  PIT is similarly flawed; they depend on teams to choke away the game and beat themselves (as DAL did against PIT), which is not a long-term solution, IMO.  I think IND is the best team in the AFC right now, and they are the weakest they've been in years.  BAL has an untested rookie QB.  DEN rivals the '99 Seahawks (the last team Marino beat) as the worst playoff team I can recall.

Is MIA flawed?  Yes.  But any of the AFC teams in the playoffs this year would lose by two touchdowns to the '07 Patriots or '06 Colts.  So if we're going to make a run, there's no time like the present.

bsfins
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 01:17:24 am »

Steelers Defense,Titans Defense (especailly if they get Vandenbocsh(sp?),and Haynesworth back before game one),Ravens Defense >>>>> K.C. Defense.....

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 02:50:42 am »

The Titans' defense gave up more points to the Jets than our defense did.

Obviously we can play this game all day long, but the point is that neither one of those teams are particularly legendary.  The playoff field this year is pretty forgettable.

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

Of course, any given Sunday, blah blah blah...

What do the Dolphins gain (other than fan satisfaction and a great story) by making the playoffs this year?

I think it was a foregone conclusion preseason that the Dolphins would be the AFC East cellar, barely breaking 5 wins.  Some of us even got laughed at when we predicted a 0.500 finish.

However, now that the playoffs are in sight and *gasp* possibly a division title, I gotta ask - What's the point?

Does anyone here really think that the Dolphins have the tools to beat the likes of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy, or Tennessee?  We'll be one-and-done.  All the while putting our draft pick for 2009 in the 20's.  For a rebuilding team, this is catastrophic.

Now, I'm not recommending the Dolphins sandbag and drop the next 2 on purpose in favor of a higher draft pick.  That's a NFL mortal sin.  However, logistically, as a fan - this team playing a first-place schedule next season has me in fits.  It delays the rebuilding to a championship level by 2 or 3 seasons, by solidifying next season's record back to sub-500 status.

Don't get me wrong, I think this team has made great strides in the right direction, but I keep going back to the fact that we've played one of the league's weakest schedules.  Only 6 games up to now (out of 14) against teams above 0.500 and we've lost all but two (Denver and New England).  Assuming the Dolphins win the division and make the playoffs as the #3 seed (cause Denver sucks more), we'll likely draw Indy or Baltimore in the wild card round.  Both of these teams could trounce the Dolphins if they wanted to, and one of them already has.

So I ask you, is it really worth it to mortgage our future seasons just to have a feel-good story this year?

Jesus Christ this this post is fucking Pathetic.  The Dolphins make you Cry huh?   Time to lose that mind frame and get behind the team for a change...........unbelievable ..........

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 11:25:21 pm »

Maine, I AM looking at this season.  Granted, I may be jaded by ghosts of seasons past, but how can you blame me?

Give me a fucking break. This ain't the Lions. We got Parcells and you knew it was gonna get better. No one knew it would turn around so fast though. You are Pathetic. I really believe you are rooting for the Jets so you can all tell us I told you so.  We are having a dream season and you want to chuck it for 5 -6 slots in the draft.  Parcells found Bess as a walk on! Look at the value we got in the second round last year. Good god man, for once just enjoy the Dolphins and what they have acomplished.

DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2009, 02:06:00 am »

WELL YOU CAN LOCK THIS TOPIC NOW...   FINS IN DA PLAYOFFS BIATCHES  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2009, 12:55:44 am »

WELL YOU CAN LOCK THIS TOPIC NOW...   FINS IN DA PLAYOFFS BIATCHES  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Thats what I'm talking about!  From here on in its all good!! Evil

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »

Still worth it too make the playoffs

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 03:19:38 pm »

Still worth it too make the playoffs

I have to agree.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray