Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:19:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Do we really WANT to make the playoffs?  (Read 24698 times)
bsfins
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 01:18:01 pm »

I foresee alot of fans with Broken hearts.....If we don't make it....

do you think the jets record is inflated as well since they played the same teams we did ?

Yep,Just like The Patriots record too..We all Played the two worst Divisons in Football.....
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 01:20:09 pm »

I foresee alot of fans with Broken hearts.....If we don't make it....

Yep,Just like The Patriots record too..We all Played the two worst Divisons in Football.....

Maybe so, but it can't be worse than last year...I'm already happy with this years performance.
bsfins
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 01:26:52 pm »

^^I never said I wasn't happy with this years performance...I'm ecstatic about How well we've played..We've won...
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »

I wrote this post to generate discussion.  Looks like I did my job.

Please note - I am not trying to say "hey, let's all root for the Dolphins to lose" - you must be nutty if you think that's the point.  I was more trying to point out that making the playoffs this season will have an adverse affect going forward.  Sure it gives you a CHANCE to win the Super Bowl, albeit a small one.  

I guess my main point is that, watching every Dolphins' game as I have, I don't see us as a team that can hold a candle to Pittsburgh.  I think we could possibly beat Indy at home, maybe a 40% chance against the Ravens at home.  I think Denver is an easy win, and Tennessee could really go either way, although we'd probably lose.

I just don't think this team is playing at the status of the league's elite yet.  Yes, they win games, but winning isn't the only thing.  An elite team should bring the Raiders in at home and demolish them.  An elite team should beat the Rams by 35.  The Dolphins seem to get an early lead and sit back and play defense.  The saving grace is that (a) the defense has stepped up and been playing pretty friggin' well and (b) the opponents are crap and can't mount a come back.  Wait until that's Peyton Manning on the other side of the ball, and see what's what.

I don't think any of you are looking beyond January.  It'll be great to get some extra games out of the season, but I'd rather see us come out next year and be 14-2 and crush everyone.  

Besides, all I need to hear is Tommy calling for Sparano's head on a daily basis should the Dolphins go 4-12 next season against a first place schedule.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 01:48:35 pm »

^^^ here is the flaw in the logic on I would rather have a 3rd place schedule next year than the 1st place schedule cause it gives us a better chance to win big next year....

1) it is only two games

2) if you can't make the playoffs playing the first place schedule you probably aren't strong enough to go far in the playoff anyhow. 

Playing good teams during the season helps the team prepare for the post-season, even while decreasing the odds of winning that particular game. 

Want to win the SB next year?  Then be prepared to beat the Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Titans, and Jets to get there. 

If two extra tough games scare ya, you are not sb material.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 01:53:40 pm »

Assuming the Dolphins make the playoffs they will be the underdog.  No one will expect them to win so if they do win a game or two, it will be a bonus.  If they lose big time, no one expected them to win anyway.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »

2) if you can't make the playoffs playing the first place schedule you probably aren't strong enough to go far in the playoff anyhow. 

Somehow, I think you just agreed with me....
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 02:06:36 pm »

Somehow, I think you just agreed with me....

I agree with you insofar as I think the chance of Pennington hoisting a Lombardi this year is remote.  I disagree with you that the Dolphins missing the playoffs helps them for next year. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

I think Denver is an easy win
Don't think too hard........they could drop 40+ points on you on any given week.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 02:24:42 pm »

I guess my main point is that, watching every Dolphins' game as I have, I don't see us as a team that can hold a candle to Pittsburgh.  I think we could possibly beat Indy at home, maybe a 40% chance against the Ravens at home.  I think Denver is an easy win, and Tennessee could really go either way, although we'd probably lose.

I personally don't look at anything in life in this way.  Had the Giants looked at things this way they wouldn't have showed up for last year's Super Bowl.  They did and punched NE right in the mouth.

A couple weeks ago we had a guy roll through the gym for some workouts.  He's ten years younger than I am and has fought on undercards for MMA PPV events.  He's one of those guys that might, or might not, crack the big time.  On the national MMA stage he's okay - which makes him the best fighter in the state on a little stage like Portland, Maine.  He wanted someone to throw with and everyone was too intimidated to get into the ring with him.  I thought "F it" and did.  I got my ass handed to me and ended up tapping out, but it was the third time he got that lock on me, I got out of it twice.  I also knocked him down four times before he got the best of me.  Had I connected a little more tightly with one of the backhands that knocked him down I would have knocked him out.

My point is that until you actually get on the mat you have no clue what's going to happen.

Pittsburgh isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Both teams (Miami and Pitt) play great (Pitt) and good (Miami) defense.  Miami's offense is a little better, in my opinion.  Big Ben is turnover happy.  The Steelers defense is turnover happy as well, but here's the rub - Miami doesn't turn the ball over.  

I don't see a team in the AFC that Miami wouldn't have a realistic chance to beat.  I see strengths and weaknesses in all teams, including Miami.  It would take a big effort to beat Pittsburgh, but it can be done.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Tepop84
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 02:37:38 pm »

Yes.  Making the playoffs establishes the team as a winner.  Free agents are more likely to sign with a winner.  Missing the playoffs and moving up a couple spots in the draft isn't really worth it, especially the way the dolphins have been drafting in the first round, beck, allen, ginn, brown.  Moving up a couple spots just means paying a little bit more for an average player.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:59 pm »

I also just thought that making it to the playoffs puts the Dolphins back on prime time tv.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 03:21:48 pm »

I also just thought that making it to the playoffs puts the Dolphins back on prime time tv.

This, in itself, is a good reason to hope for the playoffs...more games to cheer for the Phins!!

If two extra tough games scare ya, you are not sb material.   

Harsh, but completely true... I think the teams who are most likely to win a Super Bowl are teams who get battle tested hard down the stretch and through the playoffs.

Don't think too hard........they could drop 40+ points on you on any given week.

And the fat kid from section 214 could run for 150 and a pair of scores against the broncos, and probably not spill his jumbo soda.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DolFan619
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 06:51:27 pm »

Hell Yeah, I want too see the Dolphins make the playoffs!  How awesome would that be after the kind of year Dolphins fans had to suffer through last year?  For those worried about draft position, keep in mind one thing.  It's not about where you draft, but HOW you draft.  Given the current results of this regime's 2008 Draft Class, I don't see how it could be an issue.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 09:05:44 pm »

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with everything Hoodie said in this thread.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray