Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:39:05 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  I wonder if the Jests wish they still had Penny?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I wonder if the Jests wish they still had Penny?  (Read 12227 times)
afphinfan

« on: December 21, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »

Favre is a great QB but is no longer the superstar he used to be. Penny still has plenty left in him and has brought great leadership to this team and hopefully mentored Henne and deer_in_headlights as well.

We definitely got the better deal and didn't cost much $$ or any draft picks! Would be hilarious if the Jets tried to offer picks to get Penny back, but I don't think I want him to go just yet ...
Tepop84
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 06:44:14 pm »

Favre is a great QB but is no longer the superstar he used to be. Penny still has plenty left in him and has brought great leadership to this team and hopefully mentored Henne and deer_in_headlights as well.

We definitely got the better deal and didn't cost much $$ or any draft picks! Would be hilarious if the Jets tried to offer picks to get Penny back, but I don't think I want him to go just yet ...

Favre is not a good qb and the trade for him (and pretty much all the Jets offseason moves) reeked of desperation from the coaching staff.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:54:53 pm »

Favre is not a good qb and the trade for him (and pretty much all the Jets offseason moves) reeked of desperation from the coaching staff.

I think you are completely missing the point.

The Jets needed to sell a bunch of PSLs in a very competitive market. They needed to generate a lot of excitement at the beginning of the season to get their fan base to spend a LOT of money on those licenses.
Tepop84
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:57:48 pm »

The Jets needed to sell a bunch of PSLs in a very competitive market. They needed to generate a lot of excitement at the beginning of the season to get their fan base to spend a LOT of money on those licenses.

Ok, they did a good job of duping their idiotic fan base.  They did a very poor job of making sure the team will be competitive in upcoming years.
afphinfan

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »

Well I didn't think about it from a business standpoint (stupid me, NFL = National Finance League), so I definitely see the marketing scam there. You are certainly correct that they hosed there future in exchange for a win now attitude ... man, we've definitely been through that before!

I'm glad that Parcells, Ireland, and Sparano didn't think we were only one key player away  Grin
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 07:22:31 pm »

They did a very poor job of making sure the team will be competitive in upcoming years.

You are certainly correct that they hosed there future in exchange for a win now attitude

Favre's contract isn't bad and unless they make the playoffs, they only have to give the Packers a 3rd rounder.

While not quite a sideways move, I don't think their future took all that much of a hit in the Favre deal.
Tepop84
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:24:10 pm »

Favre's contract isn't bad and unless they make the playoffs, they only have to give the Packers a 3rd rounder.

While not quite a sideways move, I don't think their future took all that much of a hit in the Favre deal.
It caused them to release Pennington.  Which made the Dolphins better this year and in the future, and the Jets worse next year.  They don't make that trade and they are definitely in the playoffs with Pennington as the dolphins would probably be around 6 wins with mccown/beck/henne.
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 07:53:07 pm »

It caused them to release Pennington.  Which made the Dolphins better this year and in the future, and the Jets worse next year.  They don't make that trade and they are definitely in the playoffs with Pennington as the dolphins would probably be around 6 wins with mccown/beck/henne.

I think you are on the money. McCown would have started the season and played poorly like the subaverage journeyman he is. Henne would have assumed the starter role by about game 6 or 7, and likely struggled thrown into the NFL game til he got his footing. John Beck would still be holding a clipboard. Without Pennington, maybe the team is 5 and 10, instead of the reverse?

I agree, Chad P was likely worth 4 or 5 wins all by himself.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:57:10 pm by doctord56 » Logged

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 07:56:41 pm »

Pennington ... 2nd best season by a QB in Dolphin history?

Completion %: 67% (2nd to Kosar's 68.5% in 1995)

Yards: 3453 (Only Marino threw for more yards in a season (12x))

Int %: 1.57% (2nd to Cleo Lemon's 1.47% in 2006)

Rating: 96.4 (3rd, Strock 106.5 in '83, Marino 105.3 in '84)

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:04:06 pm »

I'm sure they're OK with it. It's not like the Jets are in last place. I give CP credit and he's done a great job protecting the ball, but my God, this is a team effort that goes up the coaching ranks headed by Parcells.
Tepop84
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 08:05:20 pm »

Pennington ... 2nd best season by a QB in Dolphin history?

Completion %: 67% (2nd to Kosar's 68.5% in 1995)

Yards: 3453 (Only Marino threw for more yards in a season (12x))

Int %: 1.57% (2nd to Cleo Lemon's 1.47% in 2006)

Rating: 96.4 (3rd, Strock 106.5 in '83, Marino 105.3 in '84)
It is way up there, especially with the receivers he has.  Lemon and Kosar weren't full seasons, so I would put him at number 1 in those.

And it is amazing that some people are still like "OMG when is Henne going to get his shot!!"
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:38:39 am »

It's kind of deceptive to look at it that way.

Since NYJ has only played 1 game against MIA (which they won), MIA's record is functionally irrelevant; with respect to MIA, the Jets' record could not be any better than it is now, no matter how bad the Dolphins were.

The real question you need to ask yourself is, would the Jets have won more games on their schedule with Pennington at the helm instead of Favre?

I think it evens out; the thing I've said about Favre since NYJ got him is that he will win games for you and he will lose games for you.  Pennington is a more conservative choice, but not necessarily a better one.

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 12:50:08 am »

A direct quote from my friend Mark The Jets Fan:

"Pennington will get you guys into the playoffs, but he won't get you far."
Tepop84
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 01:23:35 am »

It's kind of deceptive to look at it that way.

Since NYJ has only played 1 game against MIA (which they won), MIA's record is functionally irrelevant; with respect to MIA, the Jets' record could not be any better than it is now, no matter how bad the Dolphins were.

The real question you need to ask yourself is, would the Jets have won more games on their schedule with Pennington at the helm instead of Favre?

I think it evens out; the thing I've said about Favre since NYJ got him is that he will win games for you and he will lose games for you.  Pennington is a more conservative choice, but not necessarily a better one.

If the Dolphins had one more win right now, Miami's record would be hugely relevant to NYJ because they wouldn't be able to make the playoffs.  Yes, the Jets would have won more games this year with Pennington instead of Favre.  And that comment about favre winning games and losing games is stupid.  Which game has Favre won for the Jets this year? 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 02:47:13 am »

What are you talking about with this "if MIA had one more win" stuff?  The Jets would not have a better record no matter who the QB for MIA was because they've already beaten MIA in the only game the two have played!  If MIA beats NYJ on Sunday, then you have an argument, but if NYJ sweeps MIA in the season set, then it doesn't matter who they gave us; they beat us both games, which is the best possible outcome for them (versus us).

As for which games Favre won: when was the last time that the Chad Pennington-led Jets scored 56 points in a game?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray