Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2024, 10:55:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2010 Pro Bowl in Miami prior to Super Bowl
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2010 Pro Bowl in Miami prior to Super Bowl  (Read 3933 times)
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« on: December 30, 2008, 01:58:40 am »

I think this is a bad idea.  The players involved with both games would have to make a choice to skip the Pro Bowl or miss some preparation for the Super Bowl and would also risk injury if they play in the Pro Bowl.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-probowl-miami&prov=ap&type=lgns

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 06:09:13 am »

I agree it's a bad idea to play the game the week before the Super Bowl.... unless any player voted in that's playing in the Super Bowl can opt out. 

But moving it back to Florida is a great idea.  This is why the City of Orlando is trying to raise millions in order to renovate the Citrus Bowl. 
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:03:53 am »

"The league’s plan is for players on the AFC and NFC championship squads not to take part in the Pro Bowl."

They won't be.

I wonder if it'll draw any viewers? Is it just a matter of when it's played? I honestly don't think it'll make that much of a difference, no one watched it before, why would it change now MINUS the Super Bowl players.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:09:07 am »

^^^^^^

That will actually cost them some viewers.  Additionally, the players get bonuses for making the Pro Bowl.  What if a player makes the Pro Bowl, then his team makes the Super Bowl?  What happens to his bonus then?

I used to think that playing the game in midseason would give it more meaning, but then I realized that a key player could get hurt and cost his team over the second half of the season.  I now agree with Stroke's mentality..... a "cool down" type of game so fans can see their star players one more time before settling in for the offseason. 
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 11:44:30 am »

Um, they would still have made the pro bowl, just didn't play in it. The bonus isn't tied to playing in the game

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:29:43 pm »

Um, they would still have made the pro bowl, just didn't play in it. The bonus isn't tied to playing in the game

Which is exactly my point.  Now the NFL has to pay that Super Bowl player his bonus for not playing in the game, and an additional bonus for his replacement. 
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:30:40 pm »

I agree it's a bad idea to play the game the week before the Super Bowl.... unless any player voted in that's playing in the Super Bowl can opt out. 

But moving it back to Florida is a great idea.  This is why the City of Orlando is trying to raise millions in order to renovate the Citrus Bowl. 

It would not be in Florida permanently, it would be wherever the SB is held.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Orlando Rays

You can call me your fool...

orlandorays@live.com orlandorays@bellsouth.net A+Dog+of+Florida
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:44:37 pm »

It's official according to NFL Live just now (3:41pm EST):  The 2010 Pro Bowl will be at Dolphin Stadium on Sunday, January 31, 2010.  It will be aired on ESPN.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:48:19 pm »

The pro-bowl bonus is paid for playing the game not being selected.  If you are selected but don't go the alternate that played gets the money.

But the pro-bowl bonus is small in comparison to the paychecks most pro-bowlers make.   $50k or $25k.  While playing in the off-season can be a boost for folks playing at or near league min.  Most probowlers make enough that the post season/pro-bowl bonus is chump change. 

On the rare occasion the pro-bowler is someone who is making very little money, but had an unbelievable breakout season, he is looking at a huge bonus and a contract extension.   

Being selected to the pro-bowl is not about the bonus, but the recognition. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:00:10 pm »

It depends on how the contract is worded. Many are worded as "selected for the pro bowl" not "play in pro bowl"

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 04:22:25 pm »

It depends on how the contract is worded. Many are worded as "selected for the pro bowl" not "play in pro bowl"

oh you mean team contracts, I thought you meant the check they get from the NFL.  Very few players have those types of provisions in their contracts though. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 06:51:08 pm »

Pro Bowl wasn't always in Hawaii.  Things have changed since the last time they played in LA though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray