Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:06:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Which NFL Team had the biggest collapse to end the season?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Biggest Collapse
Bucs   -3 (21.4%)
Jets   -1 (7.1%)
Cowboys   -4 (28.6%)
Broncos   -6 (42.9%)
Someone else (specify)   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Author Topic: Which NFL Team had the biggest collapse to end the season?  (Read 3702 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: December 30, 2008, 07:54:30 am »

There were a several, and every one of them is worthy of consideration for the "Biggest Gag" award.  I haven't seen this many choke jobs in quite some time. 

Tampa Bay-  Their talented running game and stiff defense had them sitting at 9-3 after week 13 and tied for first place in the AFC South.  They then proceeded to lose their final four games and miss the playoffs, including their final home game against the Raiders (THE RAIDERS??) in which they blew a 10 point, 4th quarter lead. 

NY Jets-  Were 8-3 after a five game winning streak and had just come off back to back road wins against New England and Tennessee.  Had a commanding lead in the AFC East and every sportswriter around the country was picking them as division champs.  They proceeded to lose four of their last five games and miss the playoffs, including their last game at home to a big divisional rival, whose starting QB was the same one they had jettisoned during training camp in order to bring in an over-the-hill superstar QB.

Dallas- With all their weapons on offense, they were a trendy Super Bowl preseason pick by many sportswriters.  As they cruised out to a 3-0 start, they seemed unstoppable and those sportswriters appeared to be correct.  Tony Romo got banged up, and granted, they lost games they should've won, but with Romo's return, they were sitting at 8-4 and appeared headed to the playoffs.  They lost three of their last four games, and with a "winner take all" game against the Eagles to end the season, they clearly did not show up, getting blown out 44-6. 

Denver- Like Dallas, had an immensely talented offense, and came out the gate on fire, but had an up and down season.  Went through seven different running backs, and the defense could not stop an old lady in a wheelchair.  Despite all that, they led the AFC West all season long, and with three games to go, were sitting at 8-5 and appeared a lock to host a playoff game in the first round.  They proceeded to lose their last three games, and get blown out by the Chargers, who were sitting at 5-8 when Denver's three game losing streak began. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:07:13 pm by Tommy » Logged
Orlando Rays

You can call me your fool...

orlandorays@live.com orlandorays@bellsouth.net A+Dog+of+Florida
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:10 am »

Definitely, the Bucs.  And actually there is somebody you can blame: Lane Kiffin.  He folded under pressure like a lawn chair and had to come out publicly that he'd hired dear old Dad to be his defensive coordinator at Tennessee.  That took all the motivation out of the Bucs D.  Over 30 PPGA in the last four games.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:21:32 am »

I think the Bucs and Jets are in a class of their own. Denver's D looked like crap all season and, as with Dallas, injuries contributed to the collapse. For Dallas, the last game against the Eagles was a lot closer than the score would indicate (and the Eagles have been HUGELY underrated this season) - Dallas just kept fumbling the ball away.

The Bucs and Jets really have no excuse. Don't give me that East Coast vs West Coast crap... the Jets had some easy wins and they could (and should) easily have secured the division. The funny thing is, if they had - and the other results had played out as they did - TWO 11-5 teams in the AFC East would be sitting at home in January. Now that would suck.

Choosing the bigger collapse between the Jets and the Buccaneers is difficult. The Bucs had an insanely tough schedule - especially the last part (the "collapse"), so they really only lost one game they should have won: The Raiders. At home. Quite a huge collapse, but only one game. (their other late losses came at home against the Chargers (one of the hottest teams right now), away to the Falcons and away to the Panthers).

The Jets, on the other hand, built up their lead playing crappy teams and when the schedule turned harder, they collapsed. I think the only reason we really talk about a collapse here is that they had just won two HUGE away games... beating the Patriots and the, then, undefeated Titans. In the four games following those two victories, they lost at home to the Broncos and away against San Francisco and Seattle. Not being able to take a single one of those was pathetic. The collapse was completed by the home loss to the Dolphins, but at that point the playoffs were already out of reach.

In a split decision, my vote for Biggest Collapse 2008 goes to... The New York Jets.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:02:43 pm »

I picked the Broncos.  Not only did they have a hot start, but their division was terrible.

The Jets were only 1 game up at any given moment, and conventional wisdom at the time was that the Pats would be breathing down their neck down the stretch.  The Broncos in the playoffs were pretty much a given and they had to be terrible to not make it.

I drink your milkshake!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 03:02:18 pm »

I'm having a tough time deciding which one was the biggest.  So far, I'm leaning toward the Jets because that one resulted in an immediate coaching change.  But I'm going to wait till the end of the week to decide.  Each team can make a case for it. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:24 pm »

I voted cowboys, I think a case can be made for the Jills as well.  4-0, 5-1 end then drop to 5-5 and end the season 7-9. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

I voted for the Cowboys because there were higher expectations for them at the start of the season.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
Tepop84
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:25:03 pm »

Tampa Bay.  Looking back at the Gruden trade, and it is ridiculous.  2 first round picks, 2 second round picks +8million for Gruden, when they had Tony Dungy as a coach.  So retarded.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:09:11 pm »

You forgot the part where he won them a Super Bowl.

Or are you saying that you wouldn't give all that stuff up for just one title?

Tepop84
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:24:15 pm »

You forgot the part where he won them a Super Bowl.

Or are you saying that you wouldn't give all that stuff up for just one title?

I didn't forget anything.

Tony Dungys last 5 years in Tampa
10-6 playoffs
8-8
11-5 playoffs
10-6 playoffs
9-7 playoffs

Then they trade all that stuff for Gruden and they go
12-4 Superbowl
7-9
5-11
11-5 playoffs
4-12
9-7 playoffs
9-7

Of course Dungy signs with Indy and they have been in the playoffs every year since.
Orlando Rays

You can call me your fool...

orlandorays@live.com orlandorays@bellsouth.net A+Dog+of+Florida
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:22 pm »

I don't think the decision to get Jon Gruden was all that bad.  (After all, what did Al Davis do with those picks?)  It's just time to move on from Gruden, especially now that Monte Kiffin is out the door.

The Bucs are in pretty decent position now with picks and cap room.  They can get the rebuilding process going.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 04:57:33 pm »

I think the Packers deserve mention in this thread too.  They started out 5-5 and in the thick of the division race with the Bears and Vikings, and then lost 5 straight to find themselves 5-10 facing the Lions in the last week (and nearly lost that one, too).
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »

I picked the Broncos.  All they had to do was win one game in the last three weeks to clinch the worst division ever.  ONE GAME!!!
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »

I picked the Broncos.  All they had to do was win one game in the last three weeks to clinch the worst division ever.  ONE GAME!!!

After seeing Mike Shannahan get the ax, I'm going with Denver as well.  While all four teams were in a position where if they won one game at the end, they'd be in the playoffs, all the other teams were in strong divisions.  Denver was not. 
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 06:46:16 pm »

Broncos.  Like Dave said, the AFC West was weak.  They also got that crap call against SD at the beginning of the season.  Also, D_B talks way too much shit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dc4de7&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray