Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2026, 11:01:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen  (Read 9660 times)
Orlando Rays
Full Member
***
Posts: 172


You can call me your fool...

orlandorays@live.com orlandorays@bellsouth.net A+Dog+of+Florida
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:49 pm »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839188

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers just fired head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.
Logged
fyo
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 7563


4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium


« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:35:45 pm »

wow

I'm at a loss for words.
Logged
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:58:10 pm »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3839188

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers just fired head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

WOW!  That I didn't see coming.  He would have made a great Candidate for the Lions or the Jets. Thing is he's a great Coach........not a Talent guy. Whoever grabs him needs to get a good GM as well.
Logged

Philly Fin Fan
Moderator
Uber Member
******
Posts: 8567


philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:04:47 pm »

Betcha he ends up as HC in Philly. They've mentioned him for years as the next coach when the fat walrus leaves.
Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:13:16 pm »

WOW!  That I didn't see coming.  He would have made a great Candidate for the Lions or the Jets. Thing is he's a great Coach........not a Talent guy. Whoever grabs him needs to get a good GM as well.

I couldn't disagree with you more...he is supposedly this "offensive guru" and his whole tenure in Tampa, he used their amazing defense as a crutch...he can't develop a quarterback...the two times he tried (Simms and Gradkowski)...FAIL!  He's an egomaniac that drives all his players away...there is a reason he is one of the most hated coaches by players in the league...he stabs players in the back...I was wondering if the Bucs where going to do the right thing and can his sorry ass, and I'm glad to see they did it.
Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »

I have heard the grumblings around town. Not a big surprise. I think it could be a good move for the future.
Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 17897


cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »

I'm not sure why they would do this during this year.  They appear to have a plan in place as it seems like next year better coaching options will be available.
Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »

I couldn't disagree with you more...he is supposedly this "offensive guru" and his whole tenure in Tampa, he used their amazing defense as a crutch...he can't develop a quarterback...the two times he tried (Simms and Gradkowski)...FAIL!  He's an egomaniac that drives all his players away...there is a reason he is one of the most hated coaches by players in the league...he stabs players in the back...I was wondering if the Bucs where going to do the right thing and can his sorry ass, and I'm glad to see they did it.

Like I said........HE IS NOT TALENT GUY.  Most hated by players in the league? Can I ask when you conducted that survey?
Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:18:39 pm »

Like I said........HE IS NOT TALENT GUY.  Most hated by players in the league? Can I ask when you conducted that survey?

Fine then...he isn't a good talent evaluator is what I'm grasping from you...lets talk about his coaching then...the real X's and O's....he makes playbooks so complicated that veteran QBs that have had a full offseason and training camp with the guy can't even make heads or tails of it...some guys it takes more than 2 years!...thats ridiculous!  it's like he tries to be too smart for everyone to prove he's this genius, yet since no one can understand his playbook, he ends up looking like a dumbass! and it's all because of his fucking ego...about the survey, I tried looking it up again and couldn't find it...it was only a few months ago, and I think SI did the survey, but not sure...I know I'm not the only one who saw it, because I've discussed it with others on this board, so a little help?

Ok, so he had a few good years in Oakland...he also had two of the greatest WR's in NFL history on his team!  That offense was stacked and any coach in the NFL would have succeeded with that team...then he comes to Tampa and wins a Superbowl...with Dungy's players, and arguably the greatest defense the NFL has ever seen...that has nothing to do with Gruden and everything to do with Dungy and Kiffin...the guy hasn't proved jack shit to me...he's a bum.

Logged
Tepop84
Guest
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:06 am »

LOL, that raiders Bucs trade that brought Gruden to the bucs could be the most one sided trade in history.  More lopsided than the herschel walker trade.
Logged
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 03:44:08 am »

Fine then...he isn't a good talent evaluator is what I'm grasping from you...lets talk about his coaching then...the real X's and O's....he makes playbooks so complicated that veteran QBs that have had a full offseason and training camp with the guy can't even make heads or tails of it...some guys it takes more than 2 years!...thats ridiculous!  it's like he tries to be too smart for everyone to prove he's this genius, yet since no one can understand his playbook, he ends up looking like a dumbass! and it's all because of his fucking ego...about the survey, I tried looking it up again and couldn't find it...it was only a few months ago, and I think SI did the survey, but not sure...I know I'm not the only one who saw it, because I've discussed it with others on this board, so a little help?

Ok, so he had a few good years in Oakland...he also had two of the greatest WR's in NFL history on his team!  That offense was stacked and any coach in the NFL would have succeeded with that team...then he comes to Tampa and wins a Superbowl...with Dungy's players, and arguably the greatest defense the NFL has ever seen...that has nothing to do with Gruden and everything to do with Dungy and Kiffin...the guy hasn't proved jack shit to me...he's a bum.



LOL.  I get that you don't like the guy but you don't win championships not knowing what your doing. Everything you said is factless and opinionated. Your entitled to that of course but thats all it is. Your opinion. I agree he's been stale in Tampa and needs a change in scenery but he's a heck of a coach if you get him the players like you yourself even addmitted.
Logged

YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 06:58:52 am »

This doesn´t surprise me one bit.  If I were the Bucs owner, I would´ve canned him too after that collapse to end the season.

What surprises me is the timing.  This is not something you do three weeks into the offseason.  Even more of a shock was that they promoted the current Defensive Coordinator, Raheem Morris, without conducting any interviews for other candidates that may be more qualified. 

Logged
Orlando Rays
Full Member
***
Posts: 172


You can call me your fool...

orlandorays@live.com orlandorays@bellsouth.net A+Dog+of+Florida
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 08:04:19 am »

Even more of a shock was that they promoted the current Defensive Coordinator, Raheem Morris, without conducting any interviews for other candidates that may be more qualified. 

Well, at least they won't run afoul of the PC dorks that complain when a black coach isn't hired to a top position.  I guarantee, if Morris were white and they hired him immediately after firing Gruden, they would be screaming to the high heavens.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:06:38 am by Orlando Rays » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 12:59:47 pm »

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/16/players-have-spoken-in-tampa/


Adam Schefter
Players have spoken in Tampa

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Jon Gruden, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Over the past couple of weeks, the Glazer family called in various Buccaneers players to solicit their opinions on head coach Jon Gruden.

Suffice to say, the message delivered to the Glazers about Gruden wasn’t favorable.

One of the worst-kept secrets in the league was the way Buccaneers players felt about Gruden. There wasn’t a real affinity there.

This has nothing to do with Gruden’s abilities; he’s a first-rate coach. But his players didn’t voice their approval for him. Just look at what the Buccaneers’ owners did.
Logged
YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:54 pm »

Well, at least they won't run afoul of the PC dorks that complain when a black coach isn't hired to a top position.  I guarantee, if Morris were white and they hired him immediately after firing Gruden, they would be screaming to the high heavens.

That would also be a Rooney Rule violation.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines