Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2026, 03:00:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bucs fire Gruden, GM Allen  (Read 9647 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15219



« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 01:56:46 pm »

If I were the Bucs owner, I would´ve canned him too after that collapse to end the season.



Tommy it might be easier for you just to list the coaches you wouldn't fire at the end of each season than to list than ones you would fire. 
Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 02:02:06 pm »

Tommy it might be easier for you just to list the coaches you wouldn't fire at the end of each season than to list than ones you would fire. 

Quite a few come to mind.... and most of them actually happened. 

This year alone, I predicted four coaches would get fired due to the way their teams collapsed to end the season.  I was correct on three of those predictions. 

Other coaches I would've fired would've been Dave Wannstedt in 2002, Don Shula in 1993, Mike Ditka in 1992, Marv Levy in 1996, and not to mention Cam Cameron last season.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:14:58 pm by Tommy » Logged
Rick
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 784



« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 02:05:11 pm »

the guy hasn't proved jack shit to me...he's a bum.

I'm sure Gruden is heartbroken over your disapproval of his coaching abilities. Wink

I agree with Defense....Gruden is a very good coach, he just needs a GM in place to make personnel decisions....he will find another HC gig soon.

Bad move Tampa Bay!
Logged

Its just not football without something to pass around!!
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »

Ok, I'll agree he is a good X's and O's guy...but he is a horrible coach.  If you can't get your team to buy into to program, then how are you going to be successful?  The result is the mutiny you see now with the Bucs.
Logged
DolFan619
Guest
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 02:56:59 pm »

  This move doesn't surprise me.  Honestly, what in the hell has Gruden done with Bucs since they won the Super Bowl back in 2002?  From my viewpoint it looks like he's done a whole bunch of NOTHING since then.  This firing should've happened a long time ago.
Logged
Frimp
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 5996

Swallow Yer Hat Cause Ye Ship is Sinking...

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 03:26:00 pm »

The Bucs were going to win the Super Bowl that year. Period. They would have won it with ME coaching. That was Dungy's doing, not Gruden's. The Bucs should have given Dungy a ring too.
Logged
bsmooth
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4639


I love YaBB 1G - SP1!


« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 04:37:04 pm »

Ok, I'll agree he is a good X's and O's guy...but he is a horrible coach.  If you can't get your team to buy into to program, then how are you going to be successful?  The result is the mutiny you see now with the Bucs.

So how come the Raiders didnt quit after the first practice with him? They are notorious for quitting and committing mutiny on their coaches. Also by your rationale, ol Bill should have taken the same Raiders Gruden built back to the SB with that offense? Oh wait, they quit.
The Bucs did not quit as much as age and injuries caught up with them late in the season. Did you see a hobbled Brooks trying his best in the last game to chase down the ball? A mutinious team does not go 9-3 into December.
Logged
Defense54
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4406



« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 04:47:24 pm »

Well, at least they won't run afoul of the PC dorks that complain when a black coach isn't hired to a top position.  I guarantee, if Morris were white and they hired him immediately after firing Gruden, they would be screaming to the high heavens.

That's what makes it Hypocritical.......you should HAVE to interview 1 of each before making a decision. Just catering to one race , if I were Black, is insulting and demeaning.
Logged

YoFuggedaboutit
Guest
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 05:46:43 pm »

So how come the Raiders didnt quit after the first practice with him? They are notorious for quitting and committing mutiny on their coaches. Also by your rationale, ol Bill should have taken the same Raiders Gruden built back to the SB with that offense? Oh wait, they quit.
The Bucs did not quit as much as age and injuries caught up with them late in the season. Did you see a hobbled Brooks trying his best in the last game to chase down the ball? A mutinious team does not go 9-3 into December.

Good question.... but then why were the players pissed off at Gruden?
Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 17897


cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 08:46:32 pm »

Not that it makes me smart or anything but I said something was in the works.  It just smelled funny.

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/18503435/detail.html

TAMPA, Fla. -- A day after abruptly firing Super Bowl winner Jon Gruden, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have introduced Raheem Morris as their new coach.

Morris inherits a team that won three division titles under his predecessor but has hasn't won a playoff game since capturing the franchise's only NFL title in January 2003. The Gruden era ended with four consecutive losses that denied the Bucs a postseason spot following a 9-3 start.

The 32-year-old Morris has no previous head coaching experience. The Bucs promoted him to defensive coordinator on Christmas Day, and he recently interviewed for the Denver Broncos coaching vacancy.

Mark Dominik is the new general manager. He has been with the team since 1995 and replaces Bruce Allen, who was fired Friday.
Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
landlocked
Guest
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 12:50:38 pm »

I like the "chuckie",but feel he is too complicated of an offensive guy.His playbook is the hardest to learn in the league according to what I have read,the teminology alone is like learning a whole new language.And he should've gotten a qb and stuck with him instead of playing roulette.I can't agree with firing him right now,though.
Logged
fyo
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 7563


4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium


« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 01:01:18 pm »

I like the "chuckie",but feel he is too complicated of an offensive guy.His playbook is the hardest to learn in the league according to what I have read,the teminology alone is like learning a whole new language.And he should've gotten a qb and stuck with him instead of playing roulette.I can't agree with firing him right now,though.

Sometimes getting to start over can be helpful to eliminate the "bad" aspects of ones coaching.
Logged
Frimp
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 5996

Swallow Yer Hat Cause Ye Ship is Sinking...

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 01:49:35 pm »

I think hiring that 32 year old coach is a mistake too. Shanahan is available, and he is a similar type of coach to the system they have there.
Logged
bsmooth
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4639


I love YaBB 1G - SP1!


« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 06:28:41 pm »

Good question.... but then why were the players pissed off at Gruden?

Who knows, but did anyone ask the players how they felt about when they were 9-3 instead of after they had folded and been eliminated from the playoffs? Could be a little bit of sour grapes in there too.
Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »

I like the "chuckie",but feel he is too complicated of an offensive guy.His playbook is the hardest to learn in the league according to what I have read,the teminology alone is like learning a whole new language.And he should've gotten a qb and stuck with him instead of playing roulette.I can't agree with firing him right now,though.

Thank you for posting this because this was my point (except for the last sentence)...you made it more clear than I could

Quote
So how come the Raiders didnt quit after the first practice with him? They are notorious for quitting and committing mutiny on their coaches. Also by your rationale, ol Bill should have taken the same Raiders Gruden built back to the SB with that offense? Oh wait, they quit.
The Bucs did not quit as much as age and injuries caught up with them late in the season. Did you see a hobbled Brooks trying his best in the last game to chase down the ball? A mutinious team does not go 9-3 into December.

A hobbled Brooks does not make up the defense...in fact, the Bucs defense is relatively young, with the exceptions of Brooks, Barber, and Kevin Carter (who rotates regularly with the rest of the D-line).  You want to use injuries as an excuse?  Every team has injuries...take a look at the Pats...they went 11-5 and they were way more decimated than the Bucs in that department.

Also let me clarify something...

Ok, I'll agree he is a good X's and O's guy...but he is a horrible coach.  If you can't get your team to buy into to program, then how are you going to be successful?  The result is the mutiny you see now with the Bucs.

When I said he's a good X's and O's guy, that's what I meant, but his offense is too complicated and his players have trouble understanding it...that's what I meant by buying into the program...when I said the result was a mutiny, I was referring to when the owners asked the players after the season if Gruden should stick around, and the majority of them said "no".  Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:24:27 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines