Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:28:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  College baseball star wins lawsuit against NCAA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: College baseball star wins lawsuit against NCAA  (Read 3245 times)
YoFuggedaboutit
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/breaking-news/story/901406.html

This is a landmark case, and here's why:

When the NCAA rules a player ineligible, the player can appeal, but guess who hears that appeal??  That's right, the NCAA.  They are the judge, the jury, and the executioner.  And IMO, that's not fair.  By taking the NCAA to court and winning, this guy has opened the floodgates for a bunch of other lawsuits.  Then we could see the NCAA lose it's stranglehold on college athletics, or even completely be dismantled. 
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:02:02 am »

Not so fast.  Did you see the part about the NCAA taking it to a higher court?  You know they've got the juice to make this go away.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 08:51:20 am »

Not so fast.  Did you see the part about the NCAA taking it to a higher court?  You know they've got the juice to make this go away.

Given the circumstances surrounding this kid's situation, I don't think the NCAA is going to get this overturned.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:57:36 am »

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/breaking-news/story/901406.html

This is a landmark case, and here's why:

When the NCAA rules a player ineligible, the player can appeal, but guess who hears that appeal??  That's right, the NCAA.  They are the judge, the jury, and the executioner.  And IMO, that's not fair.  By taking the NCAA to court and winning, this guy has opened the floodgates for a bunch of other lawsuits.  Then we could see the NCAA lose it's stranglehold on college athletics, or even completely be dismantled. 

About Fucking Time!! I mean that is complete bullsh.......wait a sec. Sorry.........I thought this was about the NAACP.......... Roll Eyes Grin

Dphins4me
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:40:09 pm »

Great, anytime someone can defeat the NCAA in court its a good day for kids.
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:56:55 am »

Given the circumstances surrounding this kid's situation, I don't think the NCAA is going to get this overturned.

I thought that WR out of USC had a shot at the title but that didn't go.  Only time will tell.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:42:35 am »

I thought that WR out of USC had a shot at the title but that didn't go.  Only time will tell.

Are you talking about Mike Williams?  He didn't sue the NCAA.  He participated in Maurice Clarett's suit against the NFL.  Both had only been out of high school for one year and wanted to go pro after their first year of college.  They originally won their suit, but an appeals court overturned that decision.
Dphins4me
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 12:13:00 am »

They originally won their suit, but an appeals court overturned that decision.
AKA the NCAA paying off somebody somewhere to get that decision overturned.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray