Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MLB hot stove/ Free agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Print
Author Topic: MLB hot stove/ Free agency  (Read 98832 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #315 on: February 18, 2009, 11:48:10 am »

This is the first year Ludwick has been arbitration eligible, he is under Cardinal control for the next three seasons.  He ain't going no where unless they trade him.

Which might be a possible thing - the guy is 30.  If the A's are out of it early and want to clear some salary, watch for them to make a play for Ludwick for Holliday.  By the time Ludwick will be eligible to become a free agent he'll be 34 and won't be as valued as he would have been had he cracked sooner.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
bsfins
« Reply #316 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:48 pm »

Ken Griffey Jr back to the Mariners!
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3917214
Dphins4me
« Reply #317 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:23 am »

This is the first year Ludwick has been arbitration eligible, he is under Cardinal control for the next three seasons.  He ain't going no where unless they trade him.

Which might be a possible thing - the guy is 30.  If the A's are out of it early and want to clear some salary, watch for them to make a play for Ludwick for Holliday.  By the time Ludwick will be eligible to become a free agent he'll be 34 and won't be as valued as he would have been had he cracked sooner.
  Not real sure why Oakland would have an interest in this guy.  He is a former A's & I do not put much into his '08 season.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:04 am »

Not real sure why Oakland would have an interest in this guy.  He is a former A's & I do not put much into his '08 season.

For a couple reasons:

1 - Holliday has a big contract and is walking, one way or the other, when the season is over. 

2 - St. Louis has wanted Holliday for a while.  In order to obtain him they might need to dangle Ludwick.  The A's would be shedding salary for a player that they control until he is in his mid-30's and only paying arbitration numbers.  If he doesn't do great, they don't pay as much.  If he does really well he becomes a great trading chip to load up on prospects.

This has Billy Bean written all over it.

-Voltaire
Dphins4me
« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2009, 12:56:11 pm »

For a couple reasons:

1 - Holliday has a big contract and is walking, one way or the other, when the season is over. 

2 - St. Louis has wanted Holliday for a while.  In order to obtain him they might need to dangle Ludwick.  The A's would be shedding salary for a player that they control until he is in his mid-30's and only paying arbitration numbers.  If he doesn't do great, they don't pay as much.  If he does really well he becomes a great trading chip to load up on prospects.

This has Billy Bean written all over it.
  I think Ludwick will have to continue to impress for Oakland to be interested, plus St. Louis will have to give up a quality prospect or two.
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #320 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »

The Holliday train left the station a long time ago.  The Cardinals do not seem to be willing to give up what it would take to get him.  I would hate to see them give up the young guys who's names were being thrown around, especially Boggs.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2009, 08:47:20 am »

I'm shutting this thread down, it has served a long and happy life!

I'll start a new thread aimed at something more topical now that spring training has arrived.

Thank you, everyone, for making this thread as long as it is and never getting it into trouble.  You guys rock!

-Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray