Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:12:02 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The Cowboys should be required to move the scoreboard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Cowboys should be required to move the scoreboard  (Read 5504 times)
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« on: August 23, 2009, 10:54:58 pm »

It's very simple - the 60-yard long humongous scoreboard hanging above the new Cowboys field obstructs the play of the game. It should be moved higher or completely taken off, regardless of how many millions of dollars there are. This isn't baseball where the Catwalk or the Foul Poles are part of the "Ground Rules". Each NFL stadium's field of play dimensions are exactly 100% identical, with the exception of Dallas' new stadium where the screen cuts into the free space above the field. (The dimensions, not materials such as field turf)

There aren't bumps, hills, fences, posts, or roofs that interfere with any other stadium...why should the Cowboys receive preferential treatment?

(The argument that "Punts never go there anyways" is invalid, because A. a punt went there - twice this weekend, and B. the Cowboys punter receives an un-fair advantage over the 31 other punters in the league because of playing in that stadium 8 times a year + playoffs).

Also, let's just break it down into some common sense here - a punter could theoretically keep punting the ball into the scoreboard (and keep "doing it over") until some idiot on the other team commits a 15-yard unsportsman-like conduct penalty, making it first down Cowboys. Same thing with a Free Kick after a safety (to gain lost field position) or a "pooch-punt" by a QB backed up in his own zone (to get the other team to commit a penalty to make it 1st down again).

It seems that this screen isn't being moved because Jerry Jones spent too much money (bullshit reason) and a U2 concert in October (don't even get me started on how much U2 already pisses me off and now they are interfering with the NFL).

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »

The NFL allowed them to build it and it adheres to their limits.  If the NFL wants it moved, they should pay to get it raised up.

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:22:37 am »

It's entirely up to the league.  This is something I've seen before, both when we had Roby and he got bored one time and started hitting the scoreboard at the Superdome, and with our very own Rochester Brigade Arena League 2 team.  Guys would come onto the field and during warmups would actually practice kicking the ball with a lower trajectory so it wouldn't hit the War Memorial scoreboard.

Something tells me that when it starts screwing up Dallas in a game when it actually counts, and the Dallas Cowboys infrastructure can't find anything else to blame their choking on, that scoreboard will be moved.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:40:48 am »

Something tells me that when it starts screwing up Dallas in a game when it actually counts, and the Dallas Cowboys infrastructure can't find anything else to blame their choking on, that scoreboard will be moved.

Good point.......and they WILL be doing alot of punting!! Grin

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:53:59 am »

The situation i'm envisioning is this:

Cowboys have the ball and a 2 point lead inside 2 minutes, and the opposing defense holds.  Its 4th and 12 on the 31 yard line with 40 seconds to go.  Cowboys punter boots the ball into the screen.  Do over.  4th and 12 on the 31 with 30 seconds to go.  Cowboys punter boots the ball into the screen.  Do over.  4th and 12 on the 31 with 20 seconds to go. 

See where this is going?

Total BS.

They should be mandated by the league to raise the scoreboard.  It doesn't cost money.  I'm sure its hanging from some pulleys or something.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:06:18 am »

^^^ If it's built to league specs and apparently it is, there's nothing they can do except change the rules about heights etc.  That it happened during a game Jeff Fisher was the opposing coach and Fisher is on the competition committee may expedite this. 

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:34:13 am »

^^^ yeah i thought the same thing - it was Craig Hentrich, the Titans' punter, that hit the scoreboard.

Also, I think its totally lame that teams are forced to use a challenge to get that "do over"

In the end, there may end up being a special punting formation where punters are VERY offset and punting on the side of the scoreboard.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:07:24 pm »

In the end, there may end up being a special punting formation where punters are VERY offset and punting on the side of the scoreboard.

The players should not have to play around the field, the field should accommodate the players. This isn't the sandlot where you play a little on the side of the field to avoid the massive pot hole.

I don't care who does it - Cowboys or the NFL - and I don't care what it costs.  That screen should be either moved higher or taken down completely before the next game at the new Texas Stadium. If the NFL told the Cowboys that it was good (which it of course isn't), then the NFL should pay for it. If not, the Cowboys pay for it. Done and done.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 01:50:06 pm »

I am not gonna lose sleep over it.  The AFCE doesn't play the NFCE this year, by the time the AFCE plays in Dallas this should be cleared up. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 02:30:35 pm »

It's just one more example of Jerry Jones' ego.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 03:56:12 pm »

Maybe the same folks who give Jerry Jones his regular face lift can give him a scoreboard-lift as well.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 04:16:03 pm »

Here's a video of it hitting the board:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/22/dallas-cowboys-hd-scoreboard-hanging-too-low/

Thats not a fluke one time occurance.

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 09:27:32 pm »

ESPN reports the competition committee is meeting to discuss the matter either tonight or tomorrow.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 08:19:51 am »

What can they do?

If Jones complied with league standards, can they make him move the board on his dime?  If it's adjustable, fine, but I imagine that moving a gigantic scoreboard isn't just like flipping a switch if it's a permanent fixture. 

I drink your milkshake!
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:01 am »

He's moving it up 20 feet for a u2 concert - why can't he do it for the football games?

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray