Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:09:28 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Man! People are giving up on Pat White already?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Man! People are giving up on Pat White already?  (Read 3784 times)
ethurst22
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:32 pm »

Pat White has ran 4 Wildcat plays and fans are screaming to trade him.

I don't think that it's fair.

I guess Dolphin fans wanted the second coming of Matt Ryan but here's the problem.

I'm guessing that 92% of the Dolphin offense was geared towards Chad Penningtons skill set with White having to run about 2 plays designed for him. White is a shotgun spread quarterback. He's not and never was a 5 to 7 step drop back passer.

You can say the same for Chad P. He's a three to 5 step QB and not a 7 step QB.

If he would have hit Ted Ginn Jr. with that bomb in the first game, no one would be talking about getting rid of him.

Matt Ryan had the benefit of starting on a blank sheet. What really helped him was the aquisition of Michael Turner and Roddy White grew up and decided to play football instead of get in trouble off the field.

If Henne goes down or something happens, Thigpen will be the man. Henne may stink up the joint ...who knows?

But this Pat White stinks stuff is a joke.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »

The problem is, Ethurst, that the Dolphins spent a SECOND ROUND PICK on a guy who has played all of four plays and clearly doesn't have the skill to be an every day NFL QB.  That is not what you use a 2nd round pick on. 
ethurst22
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:05:27 pm »

The problem is, Ethurst, that the Dolphins spent a SECOND ROUND PICK on a guy who has played all of four plays and clearly doesn't have the skill to be an every day NFL QB.  That is not what you use a 2nd round pick on. 
Tommy,

I don't think that there has been adequate time to judge and see what he can do. I really don't want the guy to end up going through what John Beck went through (and we know how horrific that was). I wish that Beck would have went to Denver instead of B'more to back up Flacco.

We just don't know what's up with White because they didn't call that many passes for him in the exhibition season.

Maybe this is for another thread but I tell you who should be banned from an NFL football field purportrating as a QB and that's JaMarcus Russell.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:34:59 am »

If there's one thing Dolphins' fans are, its impatient.  People have seen enough after one play, one game, one season.

Any talk to trading Pat White now is ludacrous.  No one expected Pat White to be anything more than a spot-situational player.  I don't think anyone actually expected him to play QB, even.

Give the kid a chance.  Some day you guys will root for the team instead of screaming for what YOU THINK is right.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:27:55 am »

I think the problem is fans project their frustration over the pick onto the player.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:49 am »

No one expected Pat White to be anything more than a spot-situational player.  I don't think anyone actually expected him to play QB, even.

Exactly.  In the first round, Dolphins management passed on what could very well become a star WR (Hakeem Nicks), and a stud OLB (Clay Matthews), to draft a corner who can't even crack the starting lineup.

Then they blow a second round pick on a spot situational player. 

I don't see myself blaming Pat White at all.
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:54 am »

spot on!!!

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:36:08 am »

Exactly.  In the first round, Dolphins management passed on what could very well become a star WR (Hakeem Nicks), and a stud OLB (Clay Matthews), to draft a corner who can't even crack the starting lineup.

The problem is that most fans blame the player for sucking and not performing up to their draft slot, rather than blaming the coaches for drafting a player too high.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:47:20 am »

The problem is that most fans blame the player for sucking and not performing up to their draft slot, rather than blaming the coaches for drafting a player too high.

I usually blame both... the coach for selecting the player so high above their value and the player for cashing that weekly paycheck and perpetuating the charade. Wink

It's definitely too early to toss Pat White on the trade heap though...we haven't even see what he can do when used in more than the blue moon scheme.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:14:04 am »

First, about the corner:  He's only not starting because the guy they picked up in the second round has played better so far, and the veteran is a borderline Pro Bowl player.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Patrick Surtain was the nickel corner for 2 or 3 seasons behind Madison and Buckley.  How'd he work out?  Paaaaaatience.

Pat White will end up playing wideout, whether the Dolphins say he will or not, like Hines Ward (another former college QB).  What's wrong with using him as a Wildcat QB while he learns to play several positions?

Let's all just take a deep breath, shall we?  We all knew this year would be tough...   

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:26:57 am »

I haven't given up on Pat White, but I am starting to.  The guy shows no speed when running.  Speed was what was supposed to make him special.  The only ability we have seen from him is the ability to lolly-gag around till he nearly gets killed and way overthrow the ball.  Oh, I forgot he can also hand the ball to Ricky or Ronnie (may be his best skill).

The other issue is how slow he seems to be coming along.  For a guy with packages built around him, you would think he would look more comfortable than he does.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »

Vontae Davis has played up to expectations, when given the chance. Like JVides says, you can't really blame anyone for Sean Smith's stellar play. This kid really has played some great football, although it's gone mostly unnoticed (except for the int during preseason). His name basically never comes up during a game - and for a cornerback, that's a GOOD THING (TM).

As for Pat White, I've been extremely critical of him in the few comments I've made (probably one of the louder critics of him here), but that doesn't equate to me giving up on him or considering him a bad pick. It does mean, however, that I don't want him to be our backup quarterback. He's simply not there (and wasn't drafted to be). I'd like to see him in the Wild Cat, doing something other than hand off. Maybe even stick him in at running back or receiver, just to show something different and begin to establish him as a threat to take seriously when he lines up as "single wing".
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »

Pat White = Teddy Ginn. 

I haven't given up on Pat White, but I am starting to.  The guy shows no speed when running.  Speed was what was supposed to make him special.  The only ability we have seen from him is the ability to lolly-gag around till he nearly gets killed and way overthrow the ball.  Oh, I forgot he can also hand the ball to Ricky or Ronnie (may be his best skill).

The other issue is how slow he seems to be coming along.  For a guy with packages built around him, you would think he would look more comfortable than he does.

Pat White = Teddy Ginn.  Ginn is skilled at avoiding the big hit, or rather any hit at all, with his -3 YAC.  That dude can't find the ground/sideline fast enough.  Like Ginn, White is a little light in the ass.

I haven't given up on Pat White as much as I haven't given up on Chad Henne.  This is a do or die year for Ginn.  Like JVides says you have to give them time to develop.  Henne looked like straight ass coming in to clean up, but what do you expect?  By that I mean what can we reasonably expect.  If White can't run our regular offense we have the fallback of him running the Wildcat...at least until he gets rapped by a big time NFL MLB or S.  Hopefully he's got some durability.  This season will definitely be tough so why not through him in the Wildcat a few times and see what we've got? 
RhodeIslandPhinFan

"I think Marino just threw another TD pass!!!"

RallMonkey
Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 03:31:39 pm »

I got Pat White's back for atleast a couple of seasons.  Huge transition for any QB, let alone one that is expected to be Mike Vick in this Wildcat offense.  I just wish we grabbed him a round or 2 later than where we got him.

"Last January, when I was elected to the Hall of Fame, I challenged Dolphins fans to overrun Canton, Ohio. You know what? You've taken it over! Thank you, thank you, all of you, the 13 jersey up there - everybody up in the corners. Thank you all of you so much."
bsfins
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 03:39:23 pm »

Was Pat White in a spread offense in college? Is this like a Vince Young type situation,where they have to work on him playing under center....I thought I over heard one of the announcers talking about it during the preseason.....That's why I'm asking....
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray