Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:58:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the Game: Panthers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Shame of the Game: Panthers  (Read 12810 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 09:00:02 am »

I hate to give SOTG to anyone, but if I had to, it would be Vonte.  He got burned a couple of times by Steve Smith, then there was the TD that he overran.

I'm not sure I can come in with you on this one due to who he was covering.  Steve Smith would make Deion Sanders in his prime look silly from time to time.  You're talking about one of the best WRs in the game being played by a rookie. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 09:00:29 am »

Kick the FG.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 10:29:16 am »

I agree with the non-FG decision.  Maybe there should be a pole.

I can't believe nobody has given SOTG to Haynos.  The guy missed on several passes that were catchable.  I don't even see a close second.

BTW, Jake Grove didn't hold anybody on that play.  May have been someone else, but Jake wasn't holding.  Everybody holds a little jersey while blocking, but his body was what was doing the blocking.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 10:50:10 am »

Haynos couldn't catch a cold out there. And I am seriously glad that anyone who considers BOTH the Pats and Dolphins fourth down attempts as the right decision isn't a football coach. They were both horrible choices.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 11:33:34 am »

I can back Sparano's choice.  You're on the opposition's side of the field.  If you don't convert, the Panthers have to drive 68 yards against your defense with a turnover-prone QB who's been getting hit all night.  They'll have no time to gash you with the running game, owing to the time on the clock.  It was a sound choice to not kick the field goal.  Not quite the same thing as giving Peyton Manning 2 minutes to go 28 yards.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:47:49 am by JVides » Logged

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
bsfins
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 12:03:32 pm »

As a guy that has Carenter on his Fantasy Squad, I was screaming Kick the Field Goal,Kick the Field goal....When I heard the press conference,I said it was a good call,He didn't say dinged,he said the whole unit ,was patch work right now,and a lot of guys would have been playing in positions they've never played in....I also think Carpenter slipping on the opening Kick off of the game,added to the patchwork,O-line.Came into play on that decision....

Haynos couldn't catch a cold out there. And I am seriously glad that anyone who considers BOTH the Pats and Dolphins fourth down attempts as the right decision isn't a football coach. They were both horrible choices.

I'm so Glad someone Mentioned this...Haynos,plays like Ted Ginn.....It reminded me of The movie Mystery Alasaka.I think Sparano needs to give him the tree speech...
Johnny: Am I  a big Guy tree?
Tree: Yeah Johnny You're a big guy....
Johnny :No tree I'm a little guy,You're a big guy....

Eventually Tree knocks Russell Crowe on his ass....Sparano needs to explain to Haynos,that's He's 6'8" 270#'s....
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »

I'd have to say, the refs should be given an honorable mention here.  I can identify at least three bogus calls. 

1.  The Jake Grove holding call.  He barely touched the guy. 

2.  The illegal contact call on Tyrone Culver.  Again, he barely touches his guy and the ball was way overthrown and obviously uncatchable. 

3.  The neutral zone infraction on Cameron Wake.  He jumped but scooted back and didn't make contact.  The Carolina O-Lineman moved, but the call was against Wake. 
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 12:58:21 pm »

The kick wouldn't have been a 49 yarder. Where does that number come from? Sparano? Then he deserves SOTG just for being clueless.

The ball was INSIDE the 30. Play-by-play says 28. That's a 45 yard figgie. 4 yards makes a huge difference there.

And I say GO FOR IT.

If you really don't believe the risk is worth it, try the FAKE FIELD GOAL.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 12:59:54 pm »

You are not allowed to induce the OL to flinch by (wrongly) jumping the snap count.  The OL did actually flinch before the snap, which means that the play has to be blown dead and a penalty has to be called on either the offensive player that flinched or the defensive player that induced him to flinch.

Do you really think a fake field goal has a better chance of picking up 3 yards than our offense?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:01:35 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 01:31:46 pm »

The kick wouldn't have been a 49 yarder. Where does that number come from? Sparano? Then he deserves SOTG just for being clueless.
The ball was INSIDE the 30. Play-by-play says 28. That's a 45 yard figgie. 4 yards makes a huge difference there.
And I say GO FOR IT.

The point is Sparano didn't think that it was a good idea to try the field goal when guys that don't usually participate on field goals would have had to participate due to injuries to other guys.  The Cats had a minute and change to go from the 27 or 28 yard line (72 yards) with a QB that was being harassed constantly by our pass rush.  He ran out of time, and by a long shot, too.  The Cats only got to our 26 and only got one shot at the end zone.  It was the right play. 

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »

I'd have to say, the refs should be given an honorable mention here.  I can identify at least three bogus calls. 

2.  The illegal contact call on Tyrone Culver.  Again, he barely touches his guy and the ball was way overthrown and obviously uncatchable. 

3.  The neutral zone infraction on Cameron Wake.  He jumped but scooted back and didn't make contact.  The Carolina O-Lineman moved, but the call was against Wake. 

I can maybe agree with the first one, but Grove's hands were outside the defender which usually gets the call. The second one was contact past 5 yards which did happen. I don't think the ball being catchable even applies there. The third one was already addressed. Some ticky tack possibly, but still fouls in all three cases.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »

1.) Agree, that was a phantom call.  Not the first, won't be the last...
2.) The ball doesn't even have to be in the air to be illegal contact.  The fact that it was uncatchable is why it was illegal contact and not pass interference.  Catchability of the ball has nothing to do with illegal contact.  it was a good call.
3.) If the o-lineman is induced to move by a defender crossing the line, the play is blown dead and "neutral zone infraction" (note: not offsides) is the call.  Again, this was a good call.

Tommy, you should study the rule book a bit.

edit- damn Phish beat me to it...
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 03:44:15 pm »

Actually, I want to credit the refs for what I thought was a well called game.  They didn't throw a lot of flags and let the guys play it out, for the most part. 

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »

whoever's decision it was not to kick the field goal on our last drive.  I would have kicked it instead of going for it.  Even still it's not really shame worthy because it's a 50/50 judgement call.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
ethurst22
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 05:57:45 pm »

I'm not sure I can come in with you on this one due to who he was covering.  Steve Smith would make Deion Sanders in his prime look silly from time to time.  You're talking about one of the best WRs in the game being played by a rookie. 

Steve Smith is NO Joke! I'd put him in a class with Hines Ward. he totally cleaned Channing Crowders' clock on one play and got up laughing about it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray