Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:02:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Best Dolphins Thanksgiving Memory?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Best Dolphins Thanksgiving Memory?  (Read 4469 times)
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 01:49:57 am »

Carlos, you remember Byars making a snow angel after that run?

Dude, freakin' sweet.   Cheesy
dolphinfamily

Wish you were here!

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 08:32:31 am »

If anyone is intrested in the 93 snow game it will be on at 9am est thanksgiving morning on NFL network
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 07:56:52 pm »

Definitely the snow game.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 11:07:50 pm »

Wen miami had freakin Jay Fiedler blowing up the Dallas cowboys.  Miami wore their throwbacks that game and had a blast. My brother whos a cowgirl fans swwore that they were gonna kik the fins ass.. LOL

Good times  Grin

Kid Dynamite

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 10:55:50 am »

93 game against Dallas.

-Dallas was the best team in the NFL at that point.

-Our best player in Marino was out.

-Playing in the snow and in Dallas.

-We missed the game winning field goal.

And yet we still win. That by far was the Dolphins most memorable game on Thanksgiving.... I still cant believe that we lost every game after that.

Jimmy "The Snake" Johnson for the Hall of Shame.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 01:37:35 pm »

And yet we still win. That by far was the Dolphins most memorable game on Thanksgiving.... I still cant believe that we lost every game after that.

Like I said earlier, if I was the owner, I would've fired Shula immediately after the season.  Especially because the '93 Dolphins had the talent to go to the Super Bowl and had dominated their way to a 9-2 record up to that point.  I don't know what went wrong with that team, but you don't pull a choke job like that on my team and then expect to keep your job. 
Kid Dynamite

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »

Tommy,

That team was talented but in the end that was a Marino lead offense with out Dan Marino. We had a horrible running game and an inconsistent  and inexperienced back up QB's in Mitchell and older QB in  Stever Deberg that was brought in half way through the season.

That game in Dallas was won becuase of the defense and that defense wasnt good enough to put in that kind of effort every single week.

Not defending Shula but I wouldnt necessarily put it all on Shulas shoulders.

ethurst22
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »

I was at a bank owned by Jerry Jones brother-in-law in Danville, Arkansas leading up to that game. When his brother in law, John Ed, found out that I was a Dolphins fan, he started to really give me s***. It was a three day examination that started on a Monday so the next day, I figured that I would turn the tables.

I walked in the next day with my suit on and my Miami Dolphins hat and I talked smack to tellers, VP's , information systems people, anybody within an earshot. John Ed called Jerry and told him about this crazy auditor that was a Dolphins fan and Jones laughed it off.

I even bragged to John Ed about the cheerleaders and how the Cowboys had to import their cheerleaders from the wheat fields of Nebraska and fit them with dentures during the game. I told him that South Florida has everything! Including the best lookin babes on the planet.

So me and John Ed made a deal. If the Cowboys won, I would go back and give a 10 minute speech before all bank department personnel on how great the Cowboys were and how I was proud to be an Arkansas Razorback (which I totally detested). John Ed would make a speech on my revisit if the Dolphins won.

Well, we know how the game turned out. That Friday I called him and told him that I wanted to be there next Tuesday for his speech.

He followed through on the deal and he also bought a big Dolphin blanket for me for being such a good sport in hostile territory. Jerry sent two tickets to a future Cowboys game. That's the other side of Jerry Jones that people don't see.

The bad part is that right after that game, the Dolphins got hit with a bunch of injuries and I think, didn't win another game. Dallas went on to the Super Bowl.

But that was a fun Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:26:28 pm by ethurst22 » Logged
NADS
Uber Member

27 years of heartache.

Email
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 02:41:40 am »

Good story, ethurst.  I didn't think the owner would really hold up his part of the deal.

I'd also have to go with the '93 game in Dallas...Kid Dynamite sums it up well.  Byars set a Dolphins record with that run and his snowshoe-like feet.  Got to see him tear up Iowa when I was kid so that's a good Byars memory as well.  The extra for the Cowboys game was spending Thanksgiving in Maryland with a high school bud (still a Fins fan) that had moved away because his dad was a crazy asshole.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 07:56:02 am »

Tommy,

That team was talented but in the end that was a Marino lead offense with out Dan Marino. We had a horrible running game and an inconsistent  and inexperienced back up QB's in Mitchell and older QB in  Stever Deberg that was brought in half way through the season.

That game in Dallas was won becuase of the defense and that defense wasnt good enough to put in that kind of effort every single week.

Not defending Shula but I wouldnt necessarily put it all on Shulas shoulders.

Mitchell was playing lights out up until the point where he got hurt, then plug in DeBerg and the offense still clicked.  They had Keith Byars and a trio of RB's by committee (Terry Kirby, Mark Higgs, and Bernie Parmalee), as well as Irving Fryar, Mark Ingram and Keith Jackson catching passes. 

Ethurst is right though, I remember now that the defense got hit hard by injuries.  But still, you have to put 11 guys on the field and suit up.  There's no excuse for going 9-2 and being in position to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs, then losing your last five games and missing the playoffs altogether.  Other teams have fired their coaches on the spot for that, why should Shula have been any different?  And don't give me this "Because he's a legend" speech because that doesn't work in my book.
Kid Dynamite

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »

Tommy,

Again, not defending Shula. I actually wanted him out because I was praying for Jimmy to come in(boy did we all regret that).

Our running game was awful. Byers, Higgs, and Kirby as a trio averaged less than four yards a carry. Scott Mitchell played well for a few games but flamed out. Deberg did ok for an old guy who joined the team in the middle of the season.

I am just saying that even though that team was talented it was still Marino who made that team click. I always beleived that team overacheived for a few games without Danny boy and then just flamed out.

either way it was one wild year.

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 02:05:58 am »

1993 stands out the most but for a reason other than the blocked field goal that ultimately gave us the win. 

I remember vividly the refs stopped the game and the camera showed the guy holding the first down marker and moving the orange strip they used to put in front of them with his foot.  The announcers were going "should he even be touching that?"

2003 stands out as well because of the way the Dolphins scored at will on what was considered to be a "superior" Dallas team that was "a lock to go to the superbowl."  The throwbacks made it memorable, Fiedler threw the ball deep a few times and Ricky Williams ran over more than a couple of Dallas defenders that day and if memory serves we hung about 40 on them.

1999 was a disappointment because Marino threw 5 interceptions that day and I had to take shit off a bunch of Dallas fans at work, but what upset me was the boss allowed them to wear their jerseys to work that Friday but would not allow me to wear mine if the Dolphins won. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray