Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:03:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Zach Thomas wants to sign a one day contract to retire as a Dolphin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Zach Thomas wants to sign a one day contract to retire as a Dolphin  (Read 6226 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: February 15, 2010, 03:03:28 pm »

Just heard this on NFL network.

Goodbye Zach, you were a great Dolphin.

It sucks that we couldn't get you a ring.

The next years of his life are going to be painful.  He said is still feeling the effects of his concussions.  He had several in his career.  He played through ridiculous amounts of pain. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10:47 am »

I would welcome it.  Dave says its a sham, but I think its an honor.

We could use someone at MLB, Zach, incase you wanna make it a 1 year deal...
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:37 am »

^^^^

No chance.

He says he's still feeling the effects of the concussion's he's suffered.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:52 am »

Next to Dan he's my all time favorite Dolphin. The ultimate overachiever.  Always studying, always a step ahead. Never complained never whined. Always brought the "A" game. Gave 110% every game and now his body will pay for it.  Thank you for giving myself and my oldest son something to cheer about the last decade when there was nothing to cheer for.     (Chest thump)  serious respect. I want #54 retired.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

Next to Dan he's my all time favorite Dolphin. The ultimate overachiever.  Always studying, always a step ahead. Never complained never whined. Always brought the "A" game. Gave 110% every game and now his body will pay for it.  Thank you for giving myself and my oldest son something to cheer about the last decade when there was nothing to cheer for.     (Chest thump)  serious respect. I want #54 retired.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  My sentiments exactly. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:34:09 am »

Because this is a standard in the NFL, of course you offer this to Zach.

I think that the entire process of signing one day contracts is a sham -- nothing specific to Thomas.  In his case, especially, I'm okay with it, though, because it's not like he left us to get more money as a mercenary.

I drink your milkshake!
ethurst22a
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »

I would like to see him in the HOF. For a while, the standard for middle linebackers were Thomas and Ray Lewis. Urlacher is a chump that had two good seasons. He benefits from Chicago being a major media center.

The Dolphins should do the right thing, retire his number and put him immediately in the Ring of Fame next season.

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

I think that the entire process of signing one day contracts is a sham -- nothing specific to Thomas.  In his case, especially, I'm okay with it, though, because it's not like he left us to get more money as a mercenary.

So if a beloved player who gave his heart to the team for the majority of his career leaves for a better shot, or a little more cash to payroll his retirement, how should they be allowed to come back to the team to retire if not for a one day contract?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:07:07 pm »

So if a beloved player who gave his heart to the team for the majority of his career leaves for a better shot, or a little more cash to payroll his retirement, how should they be allowed to come back to the team to retire if not for a one day contract?

In my opinion, they shouldn't.  If you want to retire with the team, do it for real.

It's fine that you chose to leave, but it doesn't change the fact that you left.  In my opinion, it diminishes the players that truly retire with the team.  Dan Marino could've gone to the Vikings, but he retired as a Dolphin.  He didn't go spend another season somewhere else and then pretend to retire as a Dolphin.

I drink your milkshake!
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:28 pm »

In my opinion, they shouldn't.  If you want to retire with the team, do it for real.

It's fine that you chose to leave, but it doesn't change the fact that you left.  In my opinion, it diminishes the players that truly retire with the team.  Dan Marino could've gone to the Vikings, but he retired as a Dolphin.  He didn't go spend another season somewhere else and then pretend to retire as a Dolphin.

I can't totally disagree, but I think there is enough here to say that the guy was a Dolphin through and through.  If he hadn't of been forced out by the regime change after that horrible season, I might lean a little more your direction.  The guy deserves to retire a Dolphin, IMO.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »

The important thing to note is that Zach didn't leave the Dolphins by choice.  He was cut.  I believe that, given the opportunity, Zach would have played his last game in aqua and orange.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:39:18 pm »

I'm not using this opportunity to crap on Zach.  He was a great player.  He's the ultimate Dolphin player.  I'm not trying to take anything away from him, and he's no less deserving of my gratitude or respect for what he did over his career to this team.

But he didn't retire as a Dolphin.  By setting up some sham ceremony, we're just lying to ourselves.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »

But he didn't retire as a Dolphin.  By setting up some sham ceremony, we're just lying to ourselves.

I get your point but sham or not if under contract, even for a day, he is indeed retiring as a Dolphin.
Defense54
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:01:50 pm »

That is a GREAT point that needs to be pointed out. Good call. Zach did not ask to be released. No drama and moved on like a man when asked to vacate his Locker. The Man is class personified.

doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:19 pm »

Richmond Webb signed the one day ceremonial contract in 2005 after 2 years with the Bengals, and it was a good feeling thing to do for such a fine and noble player. Zach deserves the same after playing his heart out in aqua and orange for lo those many years, good and bad. Give him his retirement ceremony, and then a year later honor him again with the Ring of Honor. He deserves, in my not unbiased opinion, to go to Canton as well, but we'll see how that voting goes over the years.

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray