Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:34:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  CFL: Toronto-Montreal go kickball
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CFL: Toronto-Montreal go kickball  (Read 3706 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: November 02, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »

Watch the video of the ending of the game:

http://deadspin.com/5679477/

Wtf? Apparently, I've never really seen a CFL game before... that's some crazy stuff right there... Interesting, to be sure, but really, really weird.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:45:39 pm »

In CFL, there's crazy ways you can get points by punting it out of the end zone....  Crazy shit
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:48:57 am »

It isn't kickball. I don't know what I would call it. Very strange rules. I learned something new about Canadian football today.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:10:35 am »

What the hell was that? Even after listening to it, and reading the summary below the video, I'm still not sure what I just saw!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:24:27 am »

The ball is live for both teams the entire time.

The end zone is SO long, that if the kicker misses the FG and kicks it out out the back of the end zone they get 1 point.  So he tries to kick it as far as he can, whether its accurate or not, to win the game.

However, the ball is live so the defenders catch the ball if it falls short.  If they then get tackled in the end zone, its one point for the kicking team.  So, he punts it to get the ball out of the end zone.

Then the kicker, in a weak attempt to get the ball back into the end zone, punts it back again, because he had no chance of running it in.  Once the other team touches it in the end zone, they wanna not get tackled (thus giving up a point) so they wanna get the ball out of the end zone as soon as possible.  Instead he they blocked the kick, kept it in, and the kicking team recovered for a TD.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:31:38 am by Brian Fein » Logged
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:47 am »

I'm curious as to how that 5-yard rule works... How am I supposed to know if a teammate behind me is going to kick a ball, suddenly making it a penalty for me to be within 5 yards of the guy who receives the ball (only if he kicks it? from spot of first touching?).
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:23:02 am »

I don't think it applies to teammates, but only to the opposing team.  And its applied at the spot where the ball is first touched, not where it is kicked from. 

My question is why isn't the Canadian Football field measured in "metres"
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:11 am »

I was referring to opponents. You don't have the same problem in "normal" football because only one kick is allowed on any given play. But if you look at the play at the end of the Toronto game, there's just no way those players could've known that the ball was going to be kicked back and forth. One second you're supposed to be blocking a guy, the next you're not allowed to be within 5 yards of him. Oh, you had your back turned? Tough luck, I guess...

It's hard to speculate... don't really know the rules or how they are applied... but certainly seems odd.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 11:43:12 am »

My question is why isn't the Canadian Football field measured in "metres"

Why would it be? Many "activities" use units of measurement different than normal for that area / country. It becomes a tradition. Football (American) played in Europe also uses yards and feet. There are national leagues in 24 European countries (according to the European Federation of American Football), all using yards.
Landshark
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:26:28 pm »

Canadian Football is a bit odd.  They have special rules like three downs instead of four, and the defense has to line up a yard off the ball, which gives the QB more time to throw. 

Also, running a missed PAT back is legal.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:53 pm »

Wow....very strange indeed. I thought I had watched a CFL game before but maybe I did not because I have never seen or heard anything like this.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray