Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:49:50 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What's with the Colts and preseason games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's with the Colts and preseason games?  (Read 1984 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« on: September 01, 2010, 11:02:44 am »

The Colts always seem to lose during preseason. Yeah, I know that games that don't count... well... don't count. But still. Six years in a row of not winning more than a single preseason game (despite two HoF games in that period)... Makes you wonder why Vegas odds on them during the preseason are even remotely normal (even money in the upcoming game against Cincy, for example).

I don't think I've ever seen a Colts preseason game... Are they doing something different?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:06 am »

I haven't watched a Colts preseason game either but here is my speculation.

1) They aren't just vanallia they run extra bland vanallia. 
2) They play their starters less.  Hell, they don't even use their starters in week 16 & 17 if they don't have to, I bet Peyton takes the least pre-season snaps of any starting QB in the NFL.  (Not that he needs a lot of pre-season snaps.)
3) They don't care.  For a team coming off a losing season a winning preseason can confidence boost going into the regular season.  Colts don't need to win a preseason game to know they have a solid team.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:34 am »

The Colts always seem to lose during preseason. Yeah, I know that games that don't count... well... don't count. But still. Six years in a row of not winning more than a single preseason game (despite two HoF games in that period)... Makes you wonder why Vegas odds on them during the preseason are even remotely normal (even money in the upcoming game against Cincy, for example).

I don't think I've ever seen a Colts preseason game... Are they doing something different?

From what I've seen, the Colts tend to treat their starters in preseason games the way they treated them in that Jets game last season.  Keep the game plan vanilla and get them out of the game ASAP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »

They didn't pull Manning out before his two turnovers helped Green Bay whip their asses. They just have an uncanny ability to turn it on and off. If the game doesn't matter they really don't care.

FYI, Manning is #10 on the list for attempted passes so I don't expect he is coming out of the game much more than any other starting QBs.

Maybe their talent pool for 2-3 deep just isn't that good, but seeing what happened against Green Bay makes me think they just don't care.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:26:52 pm by Phishfan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:37:35 pm »

Maybe their talent pool for 2-3 deep just isn't that good, but seeing what happened against Green Bay makes me think they just don't care.

That too is a factor.  If you were to compare teams #1-25 you will find the Colts have one of if not the most talented starting line ups.  However if you compare teams #26-53 you will find their backups are pretty bad.  This is also why they have some of the worst special teams in the NFL. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »

Here's my theory...while the game may not count for Indy, it does kinda count for the opponent.  Consider that teams that play Indy are often looking for some validation as to where they are before the season starts.  If you can play well against Indy well then maybe you're ready for the season to start.  Sure, it's not really true, but that's your head telling you that, sometimes your heart doesn't listen.  Teams get amped up to play Indy if it isn't the regular season.  Indy doesn't get amped up to play preseason games.

If you don't buy that, just go back and look at a few of the articles written about the Dolphins game against Atlanta.  Preason Game 3 is a big one.  Playing Atlanta, much better opponent than Jax or Tampa.  Dress rehearsal for the regular season, blah blah blah.

Now go and read some articles from teams that are going to play Indy and see if you don't see some of the same BS.  I bet you won't see it coming out of Indy about the Colts though.  I'm sure that's not all there is to it, but I think it plays into it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray