Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:51:58 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Wildcat needs something...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wildcat needs something...  (Read 4532 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:59:00 pm »

I am not seeing anything productive about the Wildcat anymore.  With an O-Line that can't run-block or get any push, it's just absolutely ineffective at this point in time.  It's essentially a waste of a down.  We need to either do some different things with it (not just run Ronnie straight ahead), perhaps pass or maybe put it on the shelf for a game.

It also seems that we use it at the wrong time.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:39:47 pm »

There were three Wildcat plays in this game.

# (8:10) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 23-R.Brown. 23-R.Brown right end to MIN 18 for 5 yards (56-E.Henderson).
# 1-10-MIN 16 (6:49) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 23-R.Brown. 34-R.Williams left end to MIN 10 for 6 yards (20-M.Williams).
# 2-3-MIN 3 (5:27) (Shotgun) 71-C.Procter reported in as eligible. Direct snap to 23-R.Brown. 23-R.Brown right guard to MIN 5 for -2 yards (98-L.Guion).

3 plays, 9 net yards... against one of the best run defenses in the league.

What people need to remember is that Wildcat plays are (for the most part) still run plays.  Against strong run defenses, it's not going to magically turn into a win button; it's a play that you call when you would have ran the ball anyway.

Is there really a convincing argument for a standard run play over a Wildcat play?

StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:43:32 pm »

^ In theory, you have one more blocker if the QB is off the field.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »

The Wildcat seemed to work well when the Fins used it today.  What was the problem with it?
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:59:20 pm »

Is there really a convincing argument for a standard run play over a Wildcat play?

standard run play                 4.8 ypc
wildcat                                  3.0 ypc
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »

At some point, the Fins are going to need to throw out of that formation.  What better time to do it than against the aggressive Jets.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:25:32 pm »

Gotta start throwing more out of it. Keep other teams honest. And not just 1 pass like we did last year. Maybe 1 pass a game.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 08:56:07 pm »

standard run play                 4.8 ypc
wildcat                                  3.0 ypc
In related news, Ronnie averaged 6.1 ypc today!  So why didn't we just run Ronnie on every down?

We are all aware of why the standard run play ypc was so high, and why that is not exactly a useful comparison in this game.  If I wanted to post a similarly unhelpful metric, this one would probably suffice:

carries per turnover for wildcat: infinite (0 turnovers)
carries per turnover for standard run play: 12

dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:04:32 pm »

what else would you use to measure whether or not a play was effective?

3 plays for 9 yards was all the wild cat did. it wasn't very good, and the base set running offense was better.
Tepop84
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »

There were three Wildcat plays in this game.

# (8:10) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 23-R.Brown. 23-R.Brown right end to MIN 18 for 5 yards (56-E.Henderson).
# 1-10-MIN 16 (6:49) (Shotgun) Direct snap to 23-R.Brown. 34-R.Williams left end to MIN 10 for 6 yards (20-M.Williams).
# 2-3-MIN 3 (5:27) (Shotgun) 71-C.Procter reported in as eligible. Direct snap to 23-R.Brown. 23-R.Brown right guard to MIN 5 for -2 yards (98-L.Guion).

3 plays, 9 net yards... against one of the best run defenses in the league.

What people need to remember is that Wildcat plays are (for the most part) still run plays.  Against strong run defenses, it's not going to magically turn into a win button; it's a play that you call when you would have ran the ball anyway.

There were more than 3. I am pretty sure that 2nd and 4 at MIN 10   (Shotgun) R.Williams left end to MIN 3 for 7 yards (B.Leber). was a wildcat too, they just didn't put direct snap. I think there were others too, but I just don't feel like looking them up.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:18:36 pm »

what else would you use to measure whether or not a play was effective?

3 plays for 9 yards was all the wild cat did. it wasn't very good, and the base set running offense was better.
Take away the best and worst runs from each set, and the Wildcat averages 5.0 ypc, while our standard set averages 2.6 ypc.

Do you really want to define which set is better by one solitary play?  Because that's what you're doing right now.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:52:47 pm »

Maybe I am biased because I am against it at this point, but I haven't seen it used successfully in quite a long time because everyone knows they are going to run it. We crushed the Pats with it because we threw it and they had no clue. Now, everyone has a clue.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »

I saw all of the wildcat plays before I went to work...or at least most of them...it may just be me, but I was shitting myself when he would hand it off to Ricky.  Ricky had to do a double clutch to secure the ball on two accounts.  It has more to do with Ronnie reading what option is better last minute than Ricky's hands, but man, it's becoming a little more sketchy then it used to be.  I dunno if I want to trash it or not at this point...I'm still making up my mind...I just wanted to throw that out there.
bsfins
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:08 am »

IMO,part of the problem is almost every team in the league has tried to run their version of the wildcat,teams have a pretty good idea how to stop it.It's not as confusing (or shocking),and defensive coordinators know to go to certain defense against it, so it's not taking practice time away to prepare for it....
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:49 am »

It's been mostly hit or miss for a long time.  Mostly miss, I suppose.

But it still requires our opponents to spend valuable practice time on it.  I doubt there's much else that requires our weekly foes to focus on these days.  

It's not totally useless, as it can still gain yards.  But until the team proves it is willing to do something besides Ronnie up the middle or handing off to Ricky on a sweep, our options are going to be limited.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray