Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:01:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Wildcat needs something...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Wildcat needs something...  (Read 4531 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 12:58:32 am »

Again:

Why is a Wildcat run play any worse than an orthodox run play?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 04:18:11 am »

^

I think the argument can be made that it's disruptive to the flow and rhythm of our traditional offense.  ....or at least it's not performing well enough to warrant the personnel change.  The Wildcat was "worth it" because it had the ability to produce big plays.  Now, however, that every team seems extremely prepared for it, it's not catching anybody off guard and the results are on par with your regular running offense.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:09 am »

IMO,part of the problem is almost every team in the league has tried to run their version of the wildcat,teams have a pretty good idea how to stop it.It's not as confusing (or shocking),and defensive coordinators know to go to certain defense against it, so it's not taking practice time away to prepare for it....

Every team has the shotgun in their offense too. Every team has devised a way to line up against it. Should we stop using that? I really don't know what people expect. This isn't a gimmick play anymore. This is a formation, just like every other formation in football. The idea isn't to confuse as much as it is to add other formations and create mismatches. I can't understand why everyone is so dead set on scrapping the Wildcat. I saw it run successfully twice (I consider 5 & six yard runs successes but everyone else is saying the plays failed) and failed once. I think you guys expect every time we line up in that formation that we should score at will like when we opened it up against NE. That isn't going to happen. It is just a set of plays like any other set of plays we have.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:35:59 am by Phishfan » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 09:43:23 am »

Every team has the shotgun in their offense too. Every team has devised a way to line up against it. Should we stop using that? I really don't know what people expect. This isn't a gimmick play anymore. This is a formation, just like every other formation in football. The idea isn't to confuse as much as it is to add other formations and create mismatches. I can't understand why everyone is so dead set on scrapping the Wildcat. I saw it run successfully twice (I consider 5 & six yard runs successes but everyone else is saying the plays failed) and failed once. I think you guys expect every time we line up in that formation that we should score at will like when we opened it up against NE. That isn't going to happen. It is just a set of plays like any other set of plays we have.

I agree. It's a nice conservative play that guarantees we won't throw an INT.

I hate to be cynical but I really hated the Wildcat way back when so It has onlyu gotten worse. Of course i also hate that we won't let our QB play QB so we might as well run the Wildcat.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
bsfins
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 09:54:15 am »

While what you're saying is true,but apples to oranges...(especially the way we use it)....I agree it's a formation,but it's a running formation that we only run two plays out of it...Ricky on the end around sweep,or Ronnie picking his hole up the middle....If you got in the shotgun,and only ran the same two plays,a draw, and an end around...I'd complain too...
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 09:58:23 am »

While what you're saying is true,but apples to oranges...(especially the way we use it)....I agree it's a formation,but it's a running formation that we only run two plays out of it...Ricky on the end around sweep,or Ronnie picking his hole up the middle....If you got in the shotgun,and only ran the same two plays,a draw, and an end around...I'd complain too...
I hate the Wildcat as much as anyone but I bet we use it to do something different against either the Jets or the Pats. Seems like we use them to try out our new tricks. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
PhinsHelmetOnPenis

making a dolfan out of all the ladies

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 11:24:03 am »

WC is still effective but I think would be more effective if they passed more especially in red zone situations. Right now defenses pack the line cuz they know Fins never throw.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »

I think the argument can be made that it's disruptive to the flow and rhythm of our traditional offense.
That's the point.  It's a change of pace from an orthodox run play.

And I don't buy the argument that Henne staying in and handing the ball off to Ronnie keeps him more "in rhythm" than splitting wide or heading to the sideline.  It's ridiculous.  If anything, I'd argue that Henne could use those downs to observe the opposing defense more thoroughly (without worrying about what he needs to do) and potentially pick up on something that he can't see while under center.

StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 01:21:35 pm »

When they stopped throwing out of the wildcat, it lost it's effectiveness.

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 05:38:42 pm »

We will throw out of it in games against teams we play twice a year. Teams that have seen it more.

Minny has never seen our version of it, so throwing in wrinkles to it vs them makes little sense. The whole thing is a wrinkle to them. Vs Jets, Ravens, Pats...etcs teams that we play year after year that is when you break out the wrinkles
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 01:35:23 am »

I question whether or not it's a wrinkle to anyone anymore, though.  Everyone sees the tape and practices for it.  (which is probably reason alone to keep at it.)

I see the argument that it's a formation, not a gadget play, and I used to say the same thing, except we only run 2 plays from the formation, as stated above.  It is scripting your move to the defense.  At least when you have a QB under center, they have to be prepped for a pass.

I don't want it gone, by the way...I just want to see us do more with it, if we're going to use it.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:46 am »

Some teams can't stop it at all. Some teams can.

So its smart to run it a few times a game and see how our competition handles it. I mean we have seen teams who look totally lost still to this day when we line up that way.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray