Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:37:12 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the game - At Packers
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Shame of the game - At Packers  (Read 14383 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 02:27:51 am »

Philly, the coin toss was changed after that incident.  The ref verifies your call before he even tosses the coin.

And let's not pretend that these decisions take place in a vacuum.  Sparano faced no media criticism for kneeling on the ball, as the pundits practically always encourage extreme conservatism in playcalling.  Yet had he went for the low-percentage victory and somehow fallen victim to the even-lower-percentage catastrophe, the media would have been all over him (see: Dallas in week 1).  If MIA loses the coin toss and GB wins, the story is the broken overtime system; if MIA fumbles the snap on a hail mary and GB recovers and kicks a FG, the story is the idiot playcalling (especially after the debacle with Dallas just a few weeks ago!).

You can talk about wins and losses all you want, but PR matters.  PR is why the special teams coach had to be immediately fired, even if the only replacement was his assistant.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 08:37:23 am »

I would say yes.  I think the chances of something good (TD catch, defensive penalty of any kind) happening far outweigh the chances of something bad (turnover resulting in TD).
You don't know about the unwritten rule.  The unwritten rule is that there's no such thing as defensive pass interference on a hail mary.   It's every man for himself on that play.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 09:23:31 am »

You don't know about the unwritten rule.  The unwritten rule is that there's no such thing as defensive pass interference on a hail mary.   It's every man for himself on that play.

I take it you didn't see the end of the Broncos - Jets game...
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2010, 09:37:58 am »

That wasn't a Hail Mary play, just a long pass play with 1 on 1 coverage.  Completely different animal.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 03:14:20 pm »

That wasn't a Hail Mary play, just a long pass play with 1 on 1 coverage.  Completely different animal.

It was a Hail Mary pass, but for some reason the moronic Broncos decided not to cover deep. The safeties (both of whom should've been deep) were caught short.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

It was a Hail Mary pass, but for some reason the moronic Broncos decided not to cover deep. The safeties (both of whom should've been deep) were caught short.
It was 4th down and 9 with like a minute and a half left in the game.  All they needed was a first down, they didn't need to throw deep so that's why the Broncos were covering short and the Jets caught them off guard by throwing deep which is why the play worked.  That's a completely different situation to what the Dolphins were in and what is typically considered a Hail Mary play where your only option is to go deep.  It was not a Hail Mary pass, it was just a long pass in the 4th quarter of a game to a receiver who was single covered.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 03:32:23 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray