Kim Komando

<< < (3/3)

Pappy13:
I actually used the wrong term.  The correct term according to Microsoft is Hybrid Sleep.  Hybrid Sleep writes the data in memory to disk and goes into a low power mode, but does not turn the PC completely off.  It is different from Sleep mode in that Sleep mode does not write the data in memory to disk, it just goes into a low power mode.  The advantage is that should the power supply go off, Windows can recover your data from disk.  Hybrid Sleep is actually enabled by default rather than sleep mode if your PC is capable of it when you press the sleep button.

I've used sleep mode for years and never had a problem with it.  I like it because it uses less power than when your PC is on, but doesn't require you to boot up.  My PC "awakes" from sleep mode in a matter of seconds.  I only power off completely if I'm not going to be on the PC for an extended period of time or if I had problems with a badly behaving app or something.

Things may have changed and perhaps powering on and off is no longer an issue, but using Hybrid Sleep is still faster than booting up.  I don't see why you would want to do that unless there was a good reason for it.  The amount of energy saved by shutting down completely is not really that much, so that doesn't concern me.  I also have my PC setup to download and install updates overnight when I'm not using the PC, by using Hybrid Sleep mode, the PC wakes up, checks for updates, installs and reboots without me having to do anything and I never have to wait for updates to be applied.  I've never seen anything that said sleep mode was bad for the PC, where I have read that turning it off and on especially multiple times a day is not really all that good for your PC.  Granted I don't think anyone is saying it's going to fry your motherboard.  I have my PC hooked to a good surge protector and I do unplug it during storms and such, so I'm not too worried about that.

I guess to each his own.  I'll do a bit more research and see if I can find anything negative about Hybrid Sleep mode.

Regardless, telling someone to consider switching to a Mac for quicker boot times is still idiotic in my opinion.

Pappy13:
Quote from: Phishfan on November 04, 2010, 09:27:40 am

When I worked in an office IT wanted everyone to shut down the PC. It isn't standard practice that they need to stay on anymore.

I work in the IT department at Southwest Airlines and we all leave our PC's on.  We can login to our PC from home and use it just as if we were at work.  You couldn't do that if you turn it off at night.  Also, updates are installed to our PC's at night so we are encouraged to leave them on for just that reason so all updates are completed when you login the next day and don't have to wait for them to be installed.

MyGodWearsAHoodie:
Quote from: Pappy13 on November 04, 2010, 06:41:54 pm

I work in the IT department at Southwest Airlines

Thread Hijack....

Just want to say you guys are my favorite Airline.  I haven't flown in while.  But when ever I had a choice I always choose southwest.  I like how you can pick your own seat as you board like on a bus.  I am paranoid about late to the airport so I am always like super early so I am always in the first group. 

I also liked the way the flight attendants did went thru the boring government regulated safety requirements without making sound like a boring government written regulation. 

Pappy13:
Quote from: MyGodWearsAHoodie on November 06, 2010, 12:46:23 pm

Just want to say you guys are my favorite Airline.
Thanks.  I've only been with Southwest the last 2 years, but I have enjoyed it tremendously.  It's a great company to work for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page