Kim Komando

<< < (2/3) > >>

Buddhagirl:
I used to listen to Kim Komando ages ago. My dad loves her.

Spider-Dan:
Quote from: Pappy13 on November 03, 2010, 11:03:03 am

I'll bet this person is somone who thinks she needs to shut her PC off everyday.  That is NOT something you should do.  Turning a PC on is one of the MOST harmful things you can do to your PC.  It sends a sudden surge of electricity through the motherboard.  You should leave your PC on 24x7 and have it set up to go into hibernate mode when you are away from it for an extended period of time.  A PC in hibernate mode uses up a very small amount of electricity, barely more than a turned off PC, however when it comes out of hibernate mode it doesn't have the sudden rush of electricity through the motherboard that turning the PC on does and it also doesn't have to reinitialize the BIOS or reboot the operating system, therefore it will be ready for use more quickly than turning your PC off and on again.
So by not turning off your PC every day, your PC may last 5-10 years past the point when it is technologically obsolete, instead of only 1-2 years?

I turn off my PC every day and I can't remember the last time I replaced a PC because the motherboard died (as opposed to it simply being obsolete).  I'm not sure what you mean by "hibernate" mode; in Windows, hibernate is saving the RAM to disk and then turning off, which is (from your standpoint) no different than shutting down.  I presume that you're talking about what Windows refers to as "suspend" or "sleep" mode, and I avoid those modes (in any OS) like the plague.  I see them as a breeding ground for memory corruption and I've never met another IT professional that recommends sleep mode.

I either turn my PCs off (usually hibernate, i.e. save-to-disk, for laptops) or leave them fully on and turn off the monitor.

Thundergod:
^^^ Same here. I've always turned my system off, and the only times I've replaced my computers was due to upgrades. 
Not trying to change peoples habits, but:

...here are some consumer “myths” that are worth addressing:

•Turning your PC on and off wears it out. A decade ago, there was something to this, but not today, say Hershberg and others. It used to be that PC hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off, and that frequent on/off cycling could damage the hard disks. Today’s PCs are designed to handle 40,000 on/off cycles before a failure, and that’s a number you likely won’t reach during the computer’s five-to-seven-year life span.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/explore/turnoff-pc.aspx

and

Myth: Turning off my PC will use more energy when I turn it on again and cause other problems.

Fact: Do not be afraid to turn off your computer.  According to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, modern computers are not hurt by frequent shutdowns. Power down the entire computer system (printers and other equipment, too) at night and on weekends: This option will save energy and extend the life of your computer.  It is a common myth that turning computer equipment off and on is bad for it.  Research on current technology shows an improvement in system life when the equipment is turned off, since heat and mechanical stress are the two leading causes of computer failure.  On older equipment (15 years ago) there was concern about power cycling stress, particularly on hard disks, but this is not true on newer equipment.  Equipment will become obsolete long before failure due to power cycling.  Your equipment will also be less vulnerable to damaging voltage spikes cause by weather or power failures when it is turned off.

http://pec.putney.net/issue_detail.php?ID=2

To each their own though.

Phishfan:
When I worked in an office IT wanted everyone to shut down the PC. It isn't standard practice that they need to stay on anymore.

fyo:
Although I'm in favor of powering off, it's only fair to note that in many ways the pendulum has swung quite a ways back to "leave it on". Newer computers often use less than 5 W when in standby. Even turning the computer off doesn't get you to zero, with "soft off" (S5/G2) having been the standard for years. This allows all sorts of interesting things like turning the computer back on via a peripheral or over LAN (kind of sad that we're all paying for something that a tiny, tiny fraction of us ever use). It's not unrealistic that the difference between "off" and "stand by" for your computer is around 1 W.

Monitors and printers are the worst offenders, btw, with shockingly many consuming 10 W or more when supposedly off. The 5W above is just for the main box itself, of course.

The main argument for turning off your computer today is probably buggy hardware and software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page