Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:13:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  LINEBACKER
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: LINEBACKER  (Read 6331 times)
Artie the K

« on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:09 am »

I wrote into this forum about linebackers because my observation is that we have a serious deficiency at that spot after watching the defense through game #11 with the Raiders. Not to throw stones unrighteously, but I sure hope that somebody is gonna' tell me that our #52 is playing injured, or that he is acting in an official capacity of player/coach on the field.

I keep looking at him and the defense in general, game after game, play after play. I am nobody's football coach and I'm sure that Mike Nolan can see the same things on film that I do. But Crimminy, are you kidding me? Crowder had the exact same game stats after the Raiders game that I did, and I was in my living room less than 5 miles from Sun Life Stadium, thousands of miles away. Consider if you will, the defensive game stats. Zero tackles, zero assists, zero sacks, no passes defensed. The Dolphins website gives him 22 tackles for the year. Total. WOW!!! Zach Thomas had that in two games most years. Why can't I let somebody trip over my old butt and maybe I can collect half of his $6.5 mil. It buys a lot of Ben-Gay...
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:24 am »

I don't know that Crowder's been all that bad this year (though he has been out with a groin injury)... we have a very good set of starting linebackers (and NO depth -- Crowder is clearly better than e.g. Dobbins). I didn't notice him much against the Raiders, I have to admit, but considering that Crowder's forte is run-stopping and  that the Raiders managed a grand total of 16 yards rushing... well... hard to blame him for much in this game.

Looking at the play-by-play, Gradkowski only had a handful of completed passes marked "short middle" or "short left", which would normally be where you'd expect Crowder to be on passing plays, and none of those resulted in significant yards after catch. Without watching the game again (which I haven't gotten around to yet), it's hard to pass definitive judgement, but overall it doesn't look like Crowder had a bad game -- despite the zero tackles.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:31:31 am »

I agree to an extent, but it's also the scheme.  Thomas played in a 4-3 that was designed to funnel everything to him.  Down lineman didn't try to get off blocks and make tackles, they tried to tie up lineman so they couldn't get to Thomas so that he could make the tackle.  Now Miami plays a 3-4 and this year with Nolan it's an aggressive 3-4 which means that down lineman are suppose to try to get off the blocks and up field to disrupt running lanes and make tackles, linebackers fill the gaps and pick up running backs coming out of the backfield.

That doesn't completely explain the lack of stats for Crowder though, so if you are going to compare stats, compare Crowder's to Dansby's who plays a similar position in the same scheme on the same team.

Dansby has 65 solo tackles, 16 assists, 2 sacks, 3 passes defensed and 1 forced fumble in 10 games.
Crowder has 18 solo tackles, 4 assists and 1 passes defensed in 7 games.

Crowder isn't nearly as productive as Dansby and I think it should be a little closer than it is.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:47:44 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:15 am »

these plays pretty much sum up channing crowder's career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmz_L1-aHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0MQf8Hr-z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGSUp05BbU

never been an elite LB, middle tier at best.  not someone to build a 3-4 around.  he sure does "talk" a good game.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 11:35:06 am »

^ An RB shouldn't be able to lay out an MLB like that - even if the MLB is completely blind-sided like that.

He's weak and dumb. Great combo.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:38:11 am »

Let's not compare Crowder to Dansby...

Dansby is a freakin' monster. So far this season, he has my vote for MVP. Maybe not in many individual games, but he just keeps cleaning up and making tackles.

Btw, I made a mistake in my pass-analysis above. Should've looked at passes marked short-RIGHT, not left... I seem to recall quite a bit more of those... but, again, without watching the tape again, it's hard to say who should've done what.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:49:43 am »

Let's not compare Crowder to Dansby...

Dansby is a freakin' monster.
Agreed.  But still the stats should be a little closer than they are.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »

Its cool, we already have the Guy that's going to replace Crowder on our practice squad, Micah Johnson.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:53:46 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 05:57:20 pm »

Welcome to the boards, Artie.  Thanks for the well thought out post.

I don't think you'll catch much disagreement on here that Crowder's not cutting the mustard.  But, you have to keep in mind that he missed like 6 games due to injury to start the season.  Not making excuses, but its no secret that Crowder is not Zach and never will be.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:14 am »

Its cool, we already have the Guy that's going to replace Crowder on our practice squad, Micah Johnson.

just saw on the Sun Sentinel website that they waived Micah Johnson

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-drop-micah-johnson-1201,0,3285045.story

that sux, actually had a really good preseason.  maybe bring him back in later.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:49:26 am »

just saw on the Sun Sentinel website that they waived Micah Johnson

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-drop-micah-johnson-1201,0,3285045.story

that sux, actually had a really good preseason.  maybe bring him back in later.
Well...shit.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:41 pm »

Cheesy Sorry, but that's just funny.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »

Actually I'm pretty sure the Dolphins hope the replacement for Crowder is A.J. Edds.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:01 pm »

Actually I'm pretty sure the Dolphins hope the replacement for Crowder is A.J. Edds.

I believe that to be true as well.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »

an unproven rookie coming off major knee surgery. If we go into next year banking on a 4th round draft pick coming off a major injury as a contributor on defense, this team has MAJOR ISSUES!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray