Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:23:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the Game - Browns.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Shame of the Game - Browns.  (Read 15844 times)
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 03:51:06 pm »

Henne is still the starter so obviously they have less faith in Thigpen.

"Obviously?" Not so obvious may be the fact that they do not wish to admit their failure in the face of poor drafting and decision making. -EK
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 03:52:09 pm »

Henne is still the starter so obviously they have less faith in Thigpen.

Do you have faith that he is our QB of the future that will be successful ? As bad as the Bears game was, I would say that for the circumstances that Thigpen was in, that yesterdays game was worse in the fact that we actually should have won the Browns game. Did anyone really expect to win the Bears game ? Really ?
StL FinFan
Uber Member

Weaseldoc_13
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »

^ I said I wasn't sure.  Why does everyone want me to pick a side regarding Henne?

Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in his error.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 03:57:39 pm »

Because his performance and game costing INTs against a 4-7 team that our defense handled readily (Hillis with less than 60 yards rushing), dictates placing blame on him. Regarding the Bears game, I had a fleeting hope that we would just run the Wildcat the entire game and not even line up a QB, LOL! -EK
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

3 picks = SOTG.  Couldn't talk myself into any other player.  As for ending the Henne experiment, I'm definitely on the fence.  Just as I wasn't ready to anoint him great after last week, I'm not ready to dump him now.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 04:07:56 pm »

^ I said I wasn't sure.  Why does everyone want me to pick a side regarding Henne?

I don't want you to pick a side. I think Henne is picking sides for everyone at this point. The problem I have is that everyone is saying to give Henne a chance. I say Henne has had plenty of chances. I say since the season is over, explore what we already have before the draft. Not just Thigpen, explore the whole roster. QB just seems to be the biggest problem on the team right now. If Thigpen isn't the answer then so be it. But all these people saying give Henne a chance only gave Thigpen one game before they wanted Henne back. A loss is a loss, the score really doesn't matter. The Browns loss is just as bad as the Bears loss, still a L. Do I think that Thigpen will do any better than Henne ? NO, not really. But I would rather give the guy a few games to make sure, instead of seeing the garbage that I saw yesterday, even if we get shut out in every game from here on out. We may not win another one with Henne at the helm anyhow !!!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 04:15:31 pm »

I watched Thiggy in college. He's better than people think. The only reason he went to CCU is because he played QB in high school through his Jr. year and moved to RB so his best friend could play QB. He is good enough an athlete as a RB that most every school who offered him scholarships wanted him as a tailback, not a QB. Coastal said they would give him a shot at QB, and the rest is as it is. Yes, I realize he's 1-12 as a started, but let's be honest- no one was going to win much on that KC team. Henne's been given the chance to win all season, and he's proven he's a .500 QB on our team. What could possibly hurt us letting Thigpen finish the season out? It's not like we're battling for a playoff spot. -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 05:08:09 pm »

Why are you ready to trash Henne after a couple bad throws, but still in love with Thigpen after scoring 0 points at home against the Bears on prime time?

Yes, that was a winnable game.  The Bears aren't that good.

Every QB has a bad game.  Henne would have to be perfect EVERY game for you guys to give him another chance.  Is that really fair?  The guy threw a couple of bad passes and you want his ass for it?  What does he have to do to get you back on his side?

I don't think any of you haters could answer that realistically.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »

Winable game? I think a game against 4-7 Cleveland is more winnable than against 8-3 Chicago. What kind of logic are you employing?? I have watched every snap Henne's taken, and I'm here to tell you- it's not just the picks or underthrown balls or missed wide open in the end zone Fasano's. It's the fact that he just stands there in the pocket unable to get out of his own way taking sacks and losing yards when he should be throwing the ball away. He's so bad that even the coaches acknowledged it after week 3, when they gave him a timer to try and help him get rid of the ball quicker. I'm not "in love" with Thigpen, but he can't be much worse than Henne, and the season's over anyway. What's the harm in giving him a shot? -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 05:18:45 pm »

Thigpen IS MUCH WORSE than Henne.  Its obvious.

So your gripe is that he doesn't throw the ball away?  How bout coaching him up, instead of scrapping him and going back to the drawing board?

I'm not saying Henne is just fine as he is.  I AM saying that I want him to continue to learn, grow, and develop and perhaps next year he will improve.  He has shown tremendous improvement already this year:
- his touch passes have improved
- he no longer stares down the hot receiver
- he moves in the pocket more and even scrambled a few times yesterday
- he doesn't pat the ball before throwing it anymore

And, as you said the season's over.  So what's the harm in letting him grow and learn and prepare for next season.  You can learn mental portions of the game, but you can't learn to have a good arm.

Henne is much closer to being an NFL starter than Thigpen.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 05:32:09 pm »

I disagree. He DOES still stare down not just his hot receivers but any of them, and he forces the ball into coverage two and three deep at times. Henne ranks 25th in passer rating. He has 12 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions. Only three quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions. Look at the mistakes he made yesterday- INT #1: Henne said he was busy looking off the safety to let the ball fly as Hartline broke free. Then he badly underthrew the pass. Hartline stopped. Haden turned. And a touchdown became an interception. INT #2: He completely missed Fasano was open and threw to a double-covered Davone Bess. If he's throwing to 6-4 Brandon Marshall, that's different. The 5-9 Bess can't outjump two players. Cleveland's Abram Elam intercepted it. SHOCKER! INT #3: On third down, his pass was tipped at the line by David Bowens. Pure luck. Oh, wait, except not! Cleveland coaches actually called this. Henne's gotten so predictable they actually said:
"He throws low and gets a lot of batted balls,'' Bowens said. "So I was ready."
This is the QB of the future? Really?
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-hyde-dolphins-browns-1206-20101205,0,5023094.column

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 05:57:25 pm »

You really think the Bears game was not winnable?
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 06:10:32 pm »

Given how we played yesterday and the fact that we only crossed midfield twice against them, NO!
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »

Thigpen IS MUCH WORSE than Henne.  Its obvious.

Thigpen is worse than Henne based on Thigpen playing 1 game ? You may be right or you may be wrong, but we will never know in your scenario.

So your gripe is that he doesn't throw the ball away?  How bout coaching him up, instead of scrapping him and going back to the drawing board?

My gripe is that is that he sucks IMO and he has had his chance to prove himself. I just heard on QAM that only 3 QBs have thrown more interceptions than Henne. That is totally unacceptable !!!

I'm not saying Henne is just fine as he is.  I AM saying that I want him to continue to learn, grow, and develop and perhaps next year he will improve.  He has shown tremendous improvement already this year:
- his touch passes have improved
- he no longer stares down the hot receiver
- he moves in the pocket more and even scrambled a few times yesterday
- he doesn't pat the ball before throwing it anymore

Although he has improved in a couple areas, the major consensus that I have seen in the media, forums, and fan opinions is that he has regressed from last year. We are trying to move forward, not backwards.............

And, as you said the season's over.  So what's the harm in letting him grow and learn and prepare for next season.  You can learn mental portions of the game, but you can't learn to have a good arm.
Or as you say, "since the season is over, what's the harm in" letting someone else have a chance to prove himself when the starter isn't getting the job done to anyone's satisfaction ?

Henne is much closer to being an NFL starter than Thigpen.

Maybe or maybe not. There is no way to know that unless we explore all of our options. You can't judge a guy on one game with a short week of practice.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »

Why are you all so hot on Thigpen?  I don't get it.

This "let's see how he does" mentality is counter productive.  The coaches know what he can do.  If he was so great they wouldn't have rushed Henne back from injury.

And, EKnight - The Bears game was winnable BEFORE the game.  Absolutely.  Thigpen and Henning combined to make it un-winnable. 

Fans in general should open up your eyes - there's two flaws in your logic. 
1) you're focusing too heavily on the most recent game, which I already admitted Henne played poorly.
2) you're allowing "media, forums, and fan opinions" create your judgment, which is a rather incredible source.

Bottom line is that Henne is the best we have, so either you can live on the side whining and griping just so you can say "i told you so" later, or you can get on board and cheer for your favorite team and hope for the best.  The choice is yours.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray