Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:31:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the Game - Browns.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Shame of the Game - Browns.  (Read 15841 times)
stealth3ltt

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »

I just wonder if Parcells is right about Henne,,,  that he has not advanced as far along as he should have this off-season.     Its one thing to have a cannon for an arm but if your not intelligent enough to learn defensive coverages, or learn when "not to throw the ball" maybe his problem right now.  Everyone on here calls Pennington (noodles) because of his arm strength,  but he torched Miami on a consistant basis when he was qb of the jets..  He was also the most accurate qb in the league without a cannon for an arm proving that smarts is more important that power...          Its also puzzling that other qb's in the league are doing so much better than Henne that don't have alot of experience under them.  You can't say that they are all on better teams than Henne  ie,   Drew Stanton, Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman just to name a few.  
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05:32 pm »

12 tds and 15 ints is not just one poor game...

so far all together this season henne has been atrocious, and just about any other starting qb in the nfl with a heartbeat is better than him at this point.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 07:27:07 pm »

Why are you all so hot on Thigpen?  I don't get it.

Who is hot on Thigpen ? I think you are totally missing the point.

This "let's see how he does" mentality is counter productive.  The coaches know what he can do.  If he was so great they wouldn't have rushed Henne back from injury.

I guess that I could say that Henne's play has been counterproductive and unsatisfactory this year, hence "let's see what the other guy can do !!!"

And, EKnight - The Bears game was winnable BEFORE the game.  Absolutely.  Thigpen and Henning combined to make it un-winnable.

The only way the Bears game was winnable with Thigpen playing is if he was 2nd string all along and getting some practice time. Pennington should have been the emergency QB the whole time anyhow. I have to be right on that one since ole' spaghetti shoulder only lasted 2 plays before he imploded. A practice squad QB starting his first game on a short week of practice for a prime time game is a recipe for disaster no matter what anyone here says. 

Fans in general should open up your eyes - there's two flaws in your logic. 
1) you're focusing too heavily on the most recent game, which I already admitted Henne played poorly.
2) you're allowing "media, forums, and fan opinions" create your judgment, which is a rather incredible source.

1.) Henne has sucked most of the year, he has been our biggest problem this year !!!

2.) No sir, IMO Henne sucks. I created that judgment by watching a shitty offense that stalls more often than not. The "media, forums, and fan opinions" just confirm my suspicions.  

Bottom line is that Henne is the best we have, so either you can live on the side whining and griping just so you can say "i told you so" later, or you can get on board and cheer for your favorite team and hope for the best.  The choice is yours.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this topic. Because for me the "bottom line" is that Henne has been a substandard, counterproductive, and unsatisfactory starting QB for the Dolphins this year. With the season all but over I prefer a more proactive approach in trying different things until we find what works because Henne isn't working. Hope is for people that have already given up and have nothing else left. A famous quote for you...........

He that lives upon hope will die fasting.

Benjamin Franklin

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:47:18 pm by badger6 » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 11:34:28 pm »

great post, badger.

I guess my contention, all along, is that Henne is not the problem.  Wildcat is the problem.  Playcalling is a problem.  Giving Henne 3rd and 11 on every series and getting mad that he didn't convert is a result of wasting the first 2 downs on cutesy crap.

I still think Henne has talent.  I think he still needs to grow. I'm willing to give him the time. I realize that others are not.  I think that starting over now is regressing, and buys you nothing at this point.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2010, 05:19:21 am »

great post, badger.

I guess my contention, all along, is that Henne is not the problem.  Wildcat is the problem.  Playcalling is a problem.  Giving Henne 3rd and 11 on every series and getting mad that he didn't convert is a result of wasting the first 2 downs on cutesy crap.

I still think Henne has talent.  I think he still needs to grow. I'm willing to give him the time. I realize that others are not.  I think that starting over now is regressing, and buys you nothing at this point.

As I said, I guess that we will just have to disagree. I never said that Henne should be sent to the glue factory. I simply said that while we have a few games that don't matter, we should explore other options. Henne will be there until we send him away. Maybe him being in the backup roll for the last few of the year will flip the switch in his head, maybe not. I just don't think that 3-4 garbage time games is going to "develop" him much more than he already has so far.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »

I watched Thiggy in college. He's better than people think.

College was a long time ago, and the QB position, above all others, is way different in the NFL.  There are plenty of great QBs in college that can't make it in the NFL.

Thigpen has been in the NFL for several years now, has had a starting gig for a brief time, and has never been impressive.  I'm not defending Henne...he's done the same, but from what I've seen of Thigpen, he's not going to win you a Super Bowl.

I drink your milkshake!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »

College was a long time ago, and the QB position, above all others, is way different in the NFL.  There are plenty of great QBs in college that can't make it in the NFL.

Thigpen has been in the NFL for several years now, has had a starting gig for a brief time, and has never been impressive.  I'm not defending Henne...he's done the same, but from what I've seen of Thigpen, he's not going to win you a Super Bowl.

Has never been impressive? Well, his career numbers are more impressive than Henne's.
Thigpen in 21 games has 20 TDs, 17 INTs and has taken 33 sacks. He has also rushed for 441 yards and 4 TDs.
Henne in 28 games has 24 TDs, 29 INTs, and has taken 43 sacks. Whopping 63 yards and 1 TD rushing. And that's with a much better O line than Thigpen had in KC for most of those games. -EK
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »

Henne isn't impressive either.  I don't think either are good enough to win you a Super Bowl.

I drink your milkshake!
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 01:49:54 pm »

I don't think either are good enough to win you a Super Bowl.

I don't either. But having said that, the giveaway/takeaway of the above stats say a lot. Not to mention that Thigpen was in a different system in KC and this system is better than his previous. So It stands to reason that his stats should improve when his supporting cast improves ? Will that happen ? Maybe, maybe not. But you have to explore that option. If he doesn't show anything in the last few games, you then know that answer to the question. Everyone thinks that if Henne doesn't play the last few games that he will disappear into a black hole or something. He is there, when and if we need him. And if someone is going to say, "that his confidence will vanish for being benched", I would say, if that is the case we don't need him at all.......................... .........
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:00 am »

OK after 55 passing yards vs the Jets, can we bench Henne for Thigpen yet??? -EK
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2010, 09:09:16 am »

OK after 55 passing yards vs the Jets, can we bench Henne for Thigpen yet??? -EK

Notwithstanding the thrashing the Jets defense got from NEP, the Jets are a very formidable defense.  Clearly Henne is no Tom Brady, but neither is Thiggy.  Plus it would be pretty unprecedented to bench a QB after a win, even if the QB didn't play very well.

Benching Henne would hurt the locker room and kill the momentum the Dolphins got from the win over the Jets.  Or did you already forget that the last time Henne was benched even the replacement QB called out the coaching staff and opposed the move? 

You just beat a very good (9-3) division rival.  Nobody gets benched or cut.     

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:51 am »

If you say so. The Jets don't give up a lot statistically in terms of yardage, but they have allowed a lot of points over the past 5 games going into the Miami game. Leading your team to 10 points against a "formidable" D that has given up over 24 a game in their past 5, completling only 5 passes (one in the second half...ONE), and losing a fumble is not a ringing endorsment. In fact, it was his worst game of the year. Or did YOU forget the last game between the two? He's regressing. Badly. Going from 363 yards passing and two TDs to 55 yards and one is not a good thing. -EK

Edit- what's all the yapping about beating a division foe you keep posting? We beat Buffalo in week one too, but nobody's gonna get giddy over that!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:46:09 am by EKnight » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:47 am »

I am not claiming it Henne had a great game.  But the time to be chanting "bench the QB/fire the coach" is not coming off of a win that keeps the playoff hopes alive going into a must win game. 

And this board was giddy after beating the Jills and Viqueens and being the only undefeated team in the AFCE.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2010, 10:08:21 am »

I don't think anybody here was giddy after a week one squeak by win over a non-playoff caliber Bills team. I know I wasn't. -EK
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray