Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:42:49 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Brian Daboll to be named Dolphins offensive coordinator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Brian Daboll to be named Dolphins offensive coordinator  (Read 15184 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:41:33 pm »

What did you expect when they decided to retain Tony Sparano?  Did anyone really expect us to bring in someone who was gonna turn the offense into a scoring machine?  Tony doesn't want that.  He wants the offense to be safe and mistake free.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Stinger24

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 05:44:31 pm »

What did you expect when they decided to retain Tony Sparano?  Did anyone really expect us to bring in someone who was gonna turn the offense into a scoring machine?  Tony doesn't want that.  He wants the offense to be safe and mistake free.

Exactly he found someone he can micromanage next year
Diehard_Dolfan

Dolphins,Canes,Heat

jmd161@hotmail.com jmd161
Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:35 pm »

In all my yrs as a Dolphin fan I've always been able to find a ray of hope in every move they've ever made....

I can't for the life of me find one here! Huh

WOW!

I hope I'm wrong and hope there is something to this guy but, you bring in someone who's done worse than your own pathetic offense the last two yrs?Huh

I was more at ease with any of the re-treads coming in as OC...
DolFan619
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:22:55 pm »

Absolutely terrible hire.  Then again, when you have a lame duck coaching staff what else do you expect?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 06:46:49 pm »

Don't forget that Cleveland was only 1 of 2 teams to beat New England this year. 

Cleveland was also only 1 of 2 teams to have 3 TO on defense.   If the Dolphins want the coordinator responsible for that game it is Rob Ryan not Brian Daboll.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 07:08:30 pm »

I was under the impression that Ross retained Sparano with the understanding that they would try to incorporate a more consumer friendly offense, i.e. - scoring machine...................... ....
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »

Cleveland was also only 1 of 2 teams to have 3 TO on defense.   If the Dolphins want the coordinator responsible for that game it is Rob Ryan not Brian Daboll.
That doesn't explain how Hillis had 184 rushing yards or that Colt McCoy threw for 174 yards. That's over 350 yards of offense between those 2 players.  They only punted 3 times the whole day and scored 34 points.  3 TO's doesn't completely explain it.

Now I'm not expecting that he's gonna come to Miami and do that nor do I think that if Cleveland played New England again next week that would happen again, but you can't deny they did put up some big numbers on the Patriots that day.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »

I was under the impression that Ross retained Sparano with the understanding that they would try to incorporate a more consumer friendly offense, i.e. - scoring machine...................... ....
Within reason.  We can't have our offensive coordinator getting all crazy and stuff and trying to throw down field.  That would be risky! LOL

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

Yay!    Roll Eyes
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 06:11:31 am »

Within reason.  We can't have our offensive coordinator getting all crazy and stuff and trying to throw down field.  That would be risky! LOL

What about at least a shovel pass !!!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:47 am »

Hiring Daboll will turn out to be almost as great of a move as drafting Cecil "The Diesel" Collins.    Grin
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:23 am »

I can't label this a bad move, since I just don't know anything about Daboll.  He may turn out to be an offensive genius, but on the surface, the hiring seems to defy conventional wisdom. 

As a fan, you want to believe that the front office knows something you don't; but it's becoming harder and harder to convince myself that this is true.  But until it is proven otherwise, I will remain hopeful that Miami has uncovered a diamond in the rough who can help turn our offensive woes around. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 10:35:13 am »

I'm with Jim. There have been several moves I pictured would fail (see BB going to NE) and several I thought would be a hit that missed (See JJ coming to Miami). I'm going to have to wait this one out.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:06 am »

Maybe this helps?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/18/2020841/new-hire-cant-help-but-be-a-lift.html

I certainly think personel has a lot to do with what an offensive coordinator can do.  I still think that some of the pieces are in place here in Miami.  I'm not as down on Henne as most are and I'm also not as down on our receivers as most seem to be.  I think our biggest issue this year on offense might have been the offensive line and lack of a solid running game.  I'm not sure how much of that falls on Ricky and Ronnie's shoulders and how much of it was on the offensive line.  My instincts tell me that it was the offensive line.  If we can improve that and improve the rushing attack, I think the passing attack has a better chance of suceeding, but they'll also have to put more faith in Henne and the receivers and open up the attack a bit.  There was way too much checking down to underneath and letting the defense dictate to the offense what they would do.  Anytime you let the defense dictate to you, you've already lost in my opinion.  You must make the defense be afraid of going down the field even if the coverage dictates that you don't.

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 11:53:32 am »

Cleveland had three options at QB...  Rookie, turnover prone vet without mobility, turnover prone vet with mobility.  They had run of the mill receivers, but an X factor in Cribbs.  

They decided to do everything they could with their only two solid options in Cribbs as a slasher and Hillis as a mauler.  I can't blame them for this.

You may also recall that they tried to get the passing game going early in the season with Delome (sp?), but he proved early to not be smart with the ball and had to scale back.  Again, a decision that you can see why it was made.

So we can see evidence that he works to the strengths of his team.  But is that enough?

Perhaps in his interview process he demonstrate that he is capable of developing a more complex scheme and that he had no choice but to work with what he has had.  Perhaps the meeting with Mangini was to confirm this notion.  All of which are assumptions for us to ponder.  

Ultimately, this guy is primarily an unknown.  I don't particularly like it that we don't have a guy with more obvious potential at this point.  Our players need someone they can more easily buy into and without a history to look at the players may question what he will be selling them.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray