Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:06:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  "Fringe" sports that you enjoy!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: What "fringe" sports do you enjoy?
National Hockey League
Arena Football
Professional soccer
MMA
Boxing
X Game type sporting events
Nascar
Golf
Winter Olympics
Summer Olympics
Other

Author Topic: "Fringe" sports that you enjoy!  (Read 12294 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:57 pm »

when your playoffs are shown on the VS. network and maybe .. just maybe you'll have a single game of the stanley cup finals on NBC .. maybe
I think this TV deal with Versus has really hurt the NHL in popularity.  I miss the days when ESPN used to have NHL rights.  The coverage was a lot better, you could see more than 1 game per day.
However, because is has a major league with international teams and big time funding, I still think its a bit above the others on Maine's list.
[/hijack]
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »

Professional hockey has lower ratings than re runs of "Friends." Fact. With select cities aside (Boston being one), hockey attendance is at an all time low. It is not part of "the major four" in reality, only on sports center on ESPN. Los Angeles. Columbus. Phoenix. Dallas. Tampa. Buffalo.Detroit. Atlanta. All cities with hockey teams struggling to make a profit and anemic gate takes. No major TV deal. Occasional games on Bersus or NBC. Other networks won't touch it. Let's be real about hockey, shall we?

NASCAR has been in decline for the past three years, ratings and attendance. Neither are "major" sports. They are both niche / fringe sports. MMA drawing 750,000 for PPV events doesn't make it a major sport.

Golf, tennis...people - these are niche sports. Sorry.

Let's stop the screwing around / arguing over semantics and just discuss the topic?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 01:45:15 am »

I put MMA, Nascar, X-Games and both Olympics.

I'm not in love with Nascar or X-Games, but I'll watch it and I actually understand and appreciate what's going on.

I straight up ENJOY MMA, though, and watch whenever I can.  The Olympics are also cool, but not for any love of the events, but just nationalism.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:53:21 am »

I don't care what any of you say, I love NHL hockey.  I will continue to watch it.  I gave up my Dolphins' season tickets but I will NOT give up my Panthers' tickets.

I just can't get into MMA.  What's so appealing about it?  People who like it make it a lifestyle, and can't get enough.  They wear it on their clothing and revolve their lives around it.

What am I missing?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 10:20:24 am »

Sort of walking along with Brian on this one... I can't stand MMA, despite a half dozen attempts at watching it (both live and on TV), but I am absolutely loving the NHL action now that I'm finally watching hockey.

I also hate professional wrestling of all varieties except amateur "real" wrestling at the college or Olympic level.

Tennis? I'd rather watch C-Span in HD...

Golf? I'd rather watch C-Span with a coat hanger antenna

Professional soccer? World Cup only...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:29 am »

I just can't get into MMA.  What's so appealing about it?  People who like it make it a lifestyle, and can't get enough.  They wear it on their clothing and revolve their lives around it.

What am I missing?

I like MMA, but my life certainly doesn't revolve around it.   I admit it took some time for MMA to grab my attention, and it helped that my son was knowledgeable about the fighters and the techniques.  What really caught my interest was the clash of styles, and how effective and dominant a grappler can be against a bigger stand up fighter.  I can appreciate a fighter with great technique, both offensively and defensively.  It's so much more involved than boxing.  
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 10:28:55 am »

no-one is encouraging brian to not like hockey or to not follow a team .. but it clearly is a fringe sport .. there's nothing wrong with following one. I love watching soccer .. it's the most popular sport worldwide by a considerable margin. It isn't even close to any other. but it's a fringe sport in the US
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 11:25:18 am »

I chose hockey, and both the summer and winter Olympics. I love the Olympics. I will say that I've been watching a bit of the X-Games too and that has some fun stuff

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:17 am »

I vote for putting Tennis on the list. Smiley

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 12:08:37 pm »

Professional hockey has lower ratings than re runs of "Friends." Fact. With select cities aside (Boston being one), hockey attendance is at an all time low. It is not part of "the major four" in reality, only on sports center on ESPN. Los Angeles. Columbus. Phoenix. Dallas. Tampa. Buffalo.Detroit. Atlanta. All cities with hockey teams struggling to make a profit and anemic gate takes. No major TV deal. Occasional games on Bersus or NBC. Other networks won't touch it. Let's be real about hockey, shall we?

NASCAR has been in decline for the past three years, ratings and attendance. Neither are "major" sports. They are both niche / fringe sports. MMA drawing 750,000 for PPV events doesn't make it a major sport.

Golf, tennis...people - these are niche sports. Sorry.

Let's stop the screwing around / arguing over semantics and just discuss the topic?

Well, fringe is the wrong word.  The Summer Olympics is not fringe.  It is big freaking deal, some of the events in it could be considered fringe, but the event itself is not.  The PGA is not fringe.  Disc golf, which I enjoy, is fringe. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 01:53:22 pm »

I think that the PGA is fringe, for the topic of this conversation.  ...and so is MMA.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »

I enjoy watching Women's beach volleyball, and women's figure skating.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 02:42:03 pm »

I used to watch a lot of Hockey & go to games until the last strike. That killed Hockey for me and it would seems a bunch of others as well. I have been to two hockey games in the last 6 years mostly because they decided to move the Coyotes to the outskirts of town clear on the westside by the Cardinals Stadium. A vast majority of the ticket holders for both the Cardinals and the Coyotes were either in downtown or on the east side of Phoenix. Driving an hour to see the Cardinals play twice a month on a Sunday is not a big deal. Driving an hour away to see the Coyotes play 10 times a month mostly with rush hour which changes my commute to 2 hours is shit. I think the Coyotes did themselves in by building the new arena away from all of their fans. Phoenix used to draw a lot of fans to the hockey games.....not anymore.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »

I don't care what any of you say, I love NHL hockey.  I will continue to watch it.  I gave up my Dolphins' season tickets but I will NOT give up my Panthers' tickets.

What am I missing?

Revolve their lives around it? For the most part  MMA that matters is one big show a month. It's only on one saturday a month and it doesn't start till 10pm eastern time. Im not sure how a fan could revolve ones life around it.

And whats appealing  you ask.....MMA is what boxing USED to be!! Big time prize fights. Take all the BS politics out of boxing and you have MMA! It's great!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »

MMA is great, once you understand the differences in fighting styles, like Jim said.

In boxing, you have some different styles, I suppose, but the goal is ultimately the same...punch the other guy in the face -- all people "win" the same way.

In MMA, you have a weird paper/scissors/rock thing going on with different styles.  So watching a Muai-Thai guy vs. a wrestler is different than muai-thai vs. jui-jitsu and is different than jiu-jitsu vs. wrestling.  And all guys have different skills in each area, so there is a lot of strategy.  Some guys like to get a fighter on their back and "ground and pound".  Other fighters like to be on their back to do submissions from underneath.  When those two guys fight, it can be a wash in skills and go to their striking.

There's a lot going on that the untrained eye doesn't know.  But if you watch and listen to the commentators (who are often very good, including Joe Rogan), they do a good job of explaining what is happening and what the fighters are trying to do.

One last thing:  I like the respect in the MMA, different from boxing.  While you see the opposite sometimes, in general, the fighters are very civil and respectful to their opponents after a win or a loss.  I think that it's nice that there's an organization that promotes the sport of fighting, but is able to distance itself from the anger of fighting.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray