Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 10:33:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2012 Draft question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2012 Draft question  (Read 2710 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: March 13, 2011, 09:47:46 pm »

Lets say for sake of discussion there is no 2011 season, how would the 2012 draft work? would it be the same draft positions as the 2010 season, or would it be a lottery type?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:12:05 am »

Probably a lottery.

But I dont think it will come close to getting that far. At some point Congress will get involved and end this thing. Might not be till Sep/October and you end up with a 6 or 8 game season and a round-robin playoff thing for a year, but at some point this will end.

You have too many stadiums funded by tax payer dollars for them to cancel an entire season. That is the way the politicans get involved in this.....at some point down the road!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:26:15 pm »

I doubt it will come to that.  We might have a shortened season, but I doubt we go the whole season and have no playoffs. 

But it would have to be decided.  Teams like Carolina and the Bills will want to use the same order as 2011.  Teams like the Steelers and Packers would prefer a pure lottery.  I suspect a compromise of a weighted lottery. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:21 pm »

Probably a lottery.

But I dont think it will come close to getting that far. At some point Congress will get involved and end this thing.

Certain Congressional blowhards will speak up to try and pacify their constituants, but remember the NFL ramped up their lobbying efforts (spending a ton of money) the last two years in preparation to cut off any legislative interference.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:35:44 pm »

Certain Congressional blowhards will speak up to try and pacify their constituants, but remember the NFL ramped up their lobbying efforts (spending a ton of money) the last two years in preparation to cut off any legislative interference.

You can't beat the Government!

Period!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:37:03 pm »

This will get some symbolic posturing by congressmen, but no real government intervention.  The NFL is not part of the infrastructure of the country.  This is not like a shutdown by railroads or airplanes it is just entertainment. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:14 pm »

This will get some symbolic posturing by congressmen, but no real government intervention.  The NFL is not part of the infrastructure of the country.  This is not like a shutdown by railroads or airplanes it is just entertainment. 

When the Pats-Giants game was on NFL Network in 2007 and wouldn't be aired to the general public because damn near 85% dont' get NFL Network, John Kerry and a bunch of Senators and Congressmen from BOTH parties got up and cried bloody murder. Which is why the game ended up on about 3 networks nationall over the air. Like it was Super Bowl I or something on both NBC and CBS. That was for over 1 stinkin  game in December on the NFL Network!!!!!

You don't think if the NFL starts announcing the canceling of games you won't see Congres stand up and do something? Please! Democrats and Republicans don't agree on much, when it comes to sports and pleasing their voters, they unite!

Some billionare fan with a huge PSL or Luxery Box at the Meadowlands will be on the phone to Chuck Schumer saying my tax dollars helped build that stadium, I got a contract with the Mara family and the Giants for my luxery box and PSL and they took my money all up front now he is part of a group canceling games. Better do a federal investigation of fraud. And guess what, you will have THOUSANDS of fans like that all across the country doing the same thing! Trust me Congress will get involve and have an impact!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray