Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:13:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Remember when we chose Culpepper over Brees? Brees would solve everything!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Remember when we chose Culpepper over Brees? Brees would solve everything!  (Read 7137 times)
Alwaysdullfan

« on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:39 pm »

I remember that, they both came off surgeries one for shoulder and one for knee I think and Miami went with Culpepper, well that didnt last long. What a waste. We can only imagine where the Dolphins could have been or could be if we went after Brees at that time. I mean he turned the Saints...Saints!! to Superbowl champs, I think Miami was def a better team than the Saints so I still think of that signing to this day, that sux.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:11:03 pm »

You cant say what a waste  Roll Eyes At the time taking Culpepper was a decision that many would have done. Daunte for the caliber of player he was anybody would have took him over Brees. Brees was coming off of shoulder injury. So at the time,  it was Leg over Arm.  What MIAMI mess up was rushing Daunte back so soon.  NICK SATAN felt he was rdy and anybody in their right mind knew that he was not.  I watch that opening game whne he started against PITT, he looked  like he was still in pain , It was as if the game was too fast for him.  Im sorry but coming from an injury like that the staff should have sat him out the season.

Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:15 pm »

...yea true, I remember watching that game too, he was a good QB at Minnesota, but he also had Randy Moss and Cris Carter, but still it was exciting time for dolphin fans I just wish it ended differently. I dunno why cant Miami find a steady QB, Fiedler had like the longest streak, I liked him but he obviously was just an average player. I really liked Chad Pennington, his accuracy was amazing, not much arm strength but he was good for them, too bad he couldnt stay healthy.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »

I always remember Miami passed on Brees twice.  First, Wanny decided Jamar Fletcher, who was drafted to be the 3rd CB, was a bigger need than Bress would be to a team who needed a legit QB.  Don't know if he would have succeeded under Wanny, (probably wouldn't have) but I was damn pissed about it at the time.  (much like the Ted Ginn and his family pick instead of Patrick Willis)

As for the Culpepper knee injury vs. the Brees shoulder injury decision, I hope the medical team who deemed Brees too risky to sign was dismissed after his immediate success in New Orleans.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:18:10 pm by mecadonzilla » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:50:15 am »

I could be a multi-millionaire now if I bought Apple stock 10 years ago instead of buying IBM.  Damn Dolphins front office.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:52:21 am »

I always remember Miami passed on Brees twice.  First, Wanny decided Jamar Fletcher, who was drafted to be the 3rd CB, was a bigger need than Bress would be to a team who needed a legit QB.  Don't know if he would have succeeded under Wanny, (probably wouldn't have) but I was damn pissed about it at the time.  (much like the Ted Ginn and his family pick instead of Patrick Willis)
Keep in mind that even if we had drafted Brees, he would have been run out of town, just as he was in San Diego.

Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 02:18:27 am »

I cant believe someone brought this up. We could have had Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as QBs leading into that season, and it still would have turned out the same. Saban sold his soul and Cam was a moron. He would have been booed out of Miami the same way Fiedler was, and the same way many of you are planning on doing to Henne the first time he throws a pick.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:54 pm »

I could be a multi-millionaire now if I bought Apple stock 10 years ago instead of buying IBM.  Damn Dolphins front office.

The point was that it was an obvious draft choice then...not just now.  It probably wouldn't have worked out because of the dumbass head coach, though.

It's all moot now, of course, but history is worth remembering.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 01:07:59 pm »

Ask anyone in San Diego if Drew Brees was a good draft choice.

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »

Uh, he was.  It took him time to grow, San Diego got impatient and got Philip Rivers, and Brees' career took off.  He was nothing short of great his last season in San Diego.  He had to leave because they had too much invested in Rivers.  They rolled the dice and won.  So did New Orleans for that matter.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 04:18:53 pm »

I was unhappy with the choice of Culpepper over Brees, and I'd love to toot my own horn about it, but it would be a dick move.  Brees probably would've have had the supporting cast, not seen success, and we'd have run him out of town on a rail, like we do with all of our QBs.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:39:29 pm »

Uh, he was.  It took him time to grow, San Diego got impatient and got Philip Rivers, and Brees' career took off.  He was nothing short of great his last season in San Diego.
You mean two seasons after San Diego got the #1 pick and ended up with Philip Rivers on their bench?  If Brees was a good choice, why did SD spend a #1 overall pick on a QB 3 years after drafting him?

Is Drew Brees a good player?  Yes.  But he was a horrible draft pick for SD.  Not only did they end up having to spend #1 overall to replace him, but immediately after doing so, he became good, which put them in an even worse position; they ended up getting nothing for him.

It is nearly impossible to argue that SD would would NOT have been better off drafting Kyle Vanden Bosch, Steve Smith, or Kris Jenkins over Drew Brees.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:56:37 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »

Or could it be argued that Rivers was a bad pick for them.  They already had a future Super Bowl winner on their roster and got impatient.  Think of all the money and frustration they could have saved by casting off Rivers.  Of course they didn't know this at the time, but perhaps they should've trusted their initial judgement.  It's a similar to the snap judgement and firing of 14-2 Marty Schottenheimer for a perennial loser/underachiever like Norv Turner.  It's good to see the Dolphins are not alone in making poor decisions. 

I wonder what would have happened to Saban had he chosen correctly and picked Brees over Culpepper.  Would having an actual QB around kept him from cowardly bolting to Bama?  I'm not saying it would have brought a championship in Miami, but clearly, Brees would have done considerably better than Culpepper here. 
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 06:18:34 am »

In fairness to SD, the shoulder injury to Brees probably played a considerable role.
tubba marxxx
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:53 am »

I'm so sick of listening to the "OMG WE SHOULD'VE HAD DREW BREES" argument....does any body stop and think that just maybe he would've sucked here in Miami..just like everyone else sucks..because Miami as a whole can't do anything right since you know who retired (ya know back in the good ol days of the 80's and 90's when not winning a super bowl was easily forgiven because we had a golden child)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray