Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:40:03 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Season = Over.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Season = Over.  (Read 6071 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:41:12 pm »

Yes, it's just 2 games.

But, you have to win in your division.
You have to win at home.
You have to have a little luck.

We have none of these.  We're already 2 full games out of 3RD PLACE in our division.  It's sad that in a span of 7 days, our season is basically over.  The only chance we have is a mathematical chance.  It's a shame.  It really takes the wind out of your sails, as a fan, to know that you've waited an entire offseason and your season is done just 6 days after it started.  On top of that, don't plan on watching many home games on TV if you live locally.  Blackout city.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:56:11 pm »

I don't see how you can take the wildly varying results of two games and come to any meaningful conclusion.

Does MIA have the 2nd best offense in the league, or a plodding field goal setup unit?
Does MIA have relatively solid special teams with a chance to break some big returns, or a liability that will actively lose games?
Does MIA have the worst D in the league, or a fairly stout unit that will hold opponents in the teens?

Have you also decided that BUF is one of the elite teams in the NFL?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:26 am »

^ None of those, probably.

But it's clear that they're not as good as either the Jets or the Pats, and they are 2 games behind already.  I have no confidence that this team makes the playoffs.  Do you?  I think you need about 11 wins to get in the playoffs.  After these two losses at home, can you find 11 wins on the schedule?  I sure can't.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:45:56 am »

Well, you're really saying one of two things here:

1) You seen enough to determine that this team isn't any good, so the season is over (to which I would respond that you haven't seen enough of the other teams to know if they are good)

or

2) This team may or may not be good, but MIA is so far behind in the standings now that it's impossible to catch up (at 0-2, this position is laughable; Miami was not playing a "must-win" game in week f'ing TWO)

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:46:38 am »

This team as presently constituted will be hard pressed to squeeze 6 wins out...and I fear that's an optimistic number.

They have no identity.  They play wildly erratic on both sides of the ball.  No one is stepping up to lead in any capacity on or off the field.  This season is on its way of becoming a complete and total trainwreck after 2 home games.  Every team in the division looks ready to play and really compete...except us.  Not only is the coach completely incompetent, his superiors are no better.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:07:51 am »

Well, you're really saying one of two things here:

1) You seen enough to determine that this team isn't any good, so the season is over (to which I would respond that you haven't seen enough of the other teams to know if they are good)

or

2) This team may or may not be good, but MIA is so far behind in the standings now that it's impossible to catch up (at 0-2, this position is laughable; Miami was not playing a "must-win" game in week f'ing TWO)

I'm saying a bit of both of those things.  I've seen enough of this team to determine that they aren't good ENOUGH to catch up 2 games to every team in their division.  Realistically, look at the numbers:  What percent chance do you give Miami of making the playoffs?  Where I sit, it's below 5%.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:38:47 am »

From where I sit, it hasn't changed much from where I thought it would be.

I am puzzled as to why you think BUF and NYJ have an insurmountable lead when MIA's division record is 0-1 and they have two games remaining against each of them.  As for the rest of the wild card chase, HOU (the team that beat MIA today) is the only 2-0 team in the AFC that's not in the AFC East... so a one-game lead with FOURTEEN to go is a done deal?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:19 am »

OK.  I'll ask you, then.  What do you think is a fair percentage change that the Dolphins make the playoffs, given that they are 2 games behind, and having seen them play.

Also, these 2 games don't exist in a vacuum.  We've seen this team play this kind of subpar, soft football going through last season.  It's the same players, by and large, playing the same way.  Why would you expect a different result, after seeing these first two games?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:56:36 am »

Dave is right.  Never in the history of the NFL has a team started the season 0-2 and then made the playoffs. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
jtex316
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 11:34:23 am »

Dave's basically defining what insanity is. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. There's no realistic chance the Dolphins make the playoffs this season.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:08:04 pm »

OK.  I'll ask you, then.  What do you think is a fair percentage change that the Dolphins make the playoffs, given that they are 2 games behind, and having seen them play.
Honestly?  It hasn't really changed much from the start of the season.  I still see MIA as an 8 to 10 win team.  Winning the HOU game, in the grand scope of things, wouldn't mean much... it really comes down to the division record.  If MIA can win 4 division games, they'll be well positioned; if they can win 3 division games, it'll depend on wildcard tiebreakers; if they win 2 or less, they're done.

If you really want to know my opinion on this week, I'm much more concerned about the results of the OAK-BUF game than the HOU-MIA game.  The Bills look really dangerous right now.

Also, these 2 games don't exist in a vacuum.  We've seen this team play this kind of subpar, soft football going through last season.  It's the same players, by and large, playing the same way.  Why would you expect a different result, after seeing these first two games?
Because the first game was a dramatically different result?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »

Dave is right.  Never in the history of the NFL has a team started the season 0-2 and then made the playoffs. 

I'm not sure if I am missing the sarcasm of if you are being serious, but your statistic is not correct if you aren't using sarcasm.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:26:48 pm »

I'm not sure if I am missing the sarcasm of if you are being serious, but your statistic is not correct if you aren't using sarcasm.

Yes, it is sarcasm.  While not the only team, do your really think I am  unaware that NEP began 2001 0-2 and subsequently made the playoffs?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »

I didn't know the Pats had done it. I just knew it had been done.
jtex316
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 12:31:59 pm »

Yes, a team can go 0-2 and make the playoffs and win the whole thing (Cowboys 1993, Patriots 2001, Giants 2007).

But look at how San Diego always shoots themselves in the foot by starting out 2-5 or 1-4 every single season - they are never able to recover from that. You just don't want to start out 0-2 - and yesterday, if you take away all of those errors and mistakes, was a winnable game.

0-2 is psychologically a much bigger hole to be in than what it realistically is (2 games back).

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray