Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:55:00 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  After cooling down: A lack of hope
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: After cooling down: A lack of hope  (Read 10244 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:55:36 am »

I've had a day to chill and lose some ire over our loss.  I was listening to LeBatard yesterday and I think that he (or his co-host) touched on why I'm so bummed.  It's not just that we're 0-2.  It's that we're a hopeless 0-2.  The Panthers are a very different 0-2 than we are.

It just feels like we're average to subpar in every aspect of the game.  Aside from a promising performance from a young running back and some good D-line play, we're just a very unimpressive team.  You don't see a lot to build on.  You don't see a way out of this.  You don't see us getting better.

It's been the same thing: Trying to find a silver lining - for the last 10 years.  I'm just tired of having to dissect a loss to find the hidden positives over and over.  It doesn't seem like anything ever changes.

I was talking with my friend last night and we could only think of 5 teams that hadn't been to their conference championship since the Dolphins had.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then, but not us.  It seems that we're just endlessly churning in mediocrity.

And worst of all...worst of all...is that there's nothing to suggest that we're doing anything differently to produce different results.

I drink your milkshake!
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:04:48 am »

folks don't want to hear it, but it comes down to having a franchise qb...

carolina has hope now because of cam. lions are contenders because stafford is finally healthy. colts suck beyond belief because manning is on the sideline.

for the dolphins, our years to finally bring in a franchise qb we pick a running back and a left tackle. unfortunately for the dolphins, starting this year there is no longer this huge penalty to swing and miss for a qb at the top of the draft. you will see the best qb prospects go 1-2-3 and maybe even 4 this year.

never want to see your team tank it, but hope is found in the first few picks of the draft next year.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:17:39 am »

I like what i've seen so far this year.  Pouncey is ahead of schedule.  The running game seems improved.  Henne is playing better than last year, I know he's not the QB of the future, but he is playing better.  I'm looking for continued improvement over the next two weeks.
jtex316
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:01 am »

I like what i've seen so far this year.  Pouncey is ahead of schedule.  The running game seems improved.  Henne is playing better than last year, I know he's not the QB of the future, but he is playing better.  I'm looking for continued improvement over the next two weeks.

Henne really took a step back, though, against an inferior pass defense this week. That's not a good sign.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:34 am »

Henne really took a step back, though, against an inferior pass defense this week. That's not a good sign.
You didn't watch the game.  Henne wasn't as bad as his stat line.
tepop84
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 11:39:04 am »

henne was worse than his stat line.  the guy doesnt have it. never will.  sparano has invested 3 years into a guy who will never be even a top 15 nfl qb.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:51 am »

The thing I am must bummed about is that our rebuilding phase is largely complete.  We shouldn't be this mediocre at this point.

Our O-line has been addressed and they still can't deliver.  Our D-line has been addressed and they are too inconsistent.  Our D-backs have been addressed and they can't produce turnovers.  Our receivers have been addressed and they can't make a play in the red zone.  Even our kicker is now a position that was addressed and we can't seem to rely on.

Our running backs recently got addressed and need a little more time.  Our QB is moving the right direction, but still struggles in the red zone.  I can give him a little more time considering the improvements I see, but he is in the most important position and we can't wait long.  Our special teams is still inconsistent and until Bush gets punt return duty, there is nothing explosive about them.

It is hard to defend this team.  Houston didn't play all that great.  We blew a chance to get a much needed win.  This team finds ways to lose.  Something tells me it isn't the coaches.  The players need to take personal responsibility.  Remember when our defense sucked under Dom Capers, and then he goes to Green Bay and has great success.  It is about players making plays and being disciplined at the same time.  Our players are always looking for help from someone else and think that another opportunity will present itself if they mess up on the first opportunity.

Very frustrating to watch.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 11:51:19 am »

I don't think it's Henne.  I think it's a lack of identity.  I think it's a mindset, from the top.  It's not just the coach, it's the front office, it's the management, it's the GM.  ...that kind of stuff.

It's a lack of a cohesive plan (or at least the lack of an apparent plan).

I drink your milkshake!
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »

its been so long that we have had a real qb that defenses have to account for around these parts that we forget what a difference the position makes in terms of winning.

carolina has hope because ron rivera? they have a new found "identity" because of a new o line coach? steve smith is playing like he is 26 because he discovered the fountain of youth?

what has changed about carolina? they got cam newton. whomever gets andrew luck, even matt barkely next year, will have the same organizational transformation. suddenly all the dummies running the org will look like geniuses.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:03:09 pm »

I don't think it's Henne.  I think it's a lack of identity.  I think it's a mindset, from the top.  It's not just the coach, it's the front office, it's the management, it's the GM.  ...that kind of stuff.

Actually it's a lack of talent across the board and that starts with the draft and free agency. Face it, Miami hasn't done well either drafting or picking up free agents in the last decade and that's why they haven't been relative in a decade.

There's a few players here and there that have a nice season or 2, but there hasn't been 1 franchise player brought in since Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor. Not 1. I like Long a lot, but honestly I just don't see him as a franchise player. Just look at this list and you can see why Miami hasn't had a playoff win in this time.

Round 1 (15)   Mike Pouncey OL, Florida
Round 2 (62)   Daniel Thomas RB, Kansas St.
Round 4 (111)   Edmond Gates WR, Abilene Christian
Round 6 (174)   Charles Clay, FB Tulsa
Round 7 (231)   Frank Kearse DT. Alabama A&M
Round 7 (235)   Jimmy Wilson DB, Montana

Round 1 (28)   Jared Odrick DT, Penn State
Round 2 (40)   Koa Misi LB Utah
Round 3 (73)   John Jerry OL Mississippi
Round 4 (119)   A.J. Edds LB Iowa
Round 5 (145)   Nolan Carroll CB Maryland
Round 5 (163)   Reshad Jones S Georgia
Round 7 (212)   Chris McCoy LB Middle Tennessee St.
Round 7 (252)   Austin Spitler LB Ohio State

Round 1 (25)   Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
Round 2 (44)   Pat White, QB, West Virginia
Round 2 (61)   Sean Smith, CB, Utah
Round 3 (87)   Patrick Turner, WR, USC
Round 4 (108)   Brian Hartline, WR, Ohio St.
Round 5 (161)   John Nalbone, TE, Monmouth
Round 5 (165)   Chris Clemons, S, Clemson
Round 6 (181)   Andrew Gardner, OT, Ga. Tech
Round 7 (214)   J.D. Folsom, LB, Weber State

Round 1 (1)      Jake Long OT Michigan
Round 2 (32)     Phillip Merling  DE Clemson
Round 2 (57)     Chad Henne QB Michigan
Round 3 (66)     Kendall Langford DT Hampton
Round 4 (110)    Shawn Murphy G
Round 6 (176)    Jalen Parmele RB
Round 6 (195)    Donald Thomas OG Connecticut
Round 6 (204)    Lex Hilliard RB Montana
Round 7 (245)    Lionel Dotson DE Arizona

Round 1 (9)   Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State
Round 2 (40)   John Beck QB Brigham Young
Round 2 (60)   Samson Satele C Hawaii
Round 3 (71)   Lorenzo Booker RB Florida State
Round 4 (108)   Paul Soliai DT Utah
Round 6 (181)   Reagan Mauia RB Hawaii
Round 6 (199)   Drew Mormino OL Central Michigan
Round 7 (219)   Kelvin Smith LB Syracuse
Round 7 (219)   Brandon Fields P Michigan State
Round 7 (238)   Abraham Wright DE Colorado

Round 1 (16)   Jason Allen DB Tennessee
Round 3 (82)   Derek Hagan WR Arizona State
Round 4 (117)   Joe Toledo T Washington
Round 7 (212)   Fred Evans DT Texas State
Round 7 (226)   Rodrique Wright DT Texas
Round 7 (233)    Devin Aromashodu WR Auburn

Round 1 (2)   Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
Round 2 (46)   Matt Roth DE Iowa
Round 3 (70)   Channing Crowder LB Florida
Round 4 (104)   Travis Daniels CB LSU
Round 5 (162)   Anthony Alabi OT TCU
Round 7 (216)   Kevin Vickerson DT Michigan State

Round 1 (19)   Vernon Cary OT Miami (FL)
Round 4 (102)   Will Poole CB Southern Cal
Round 5 (160)   Tony Bua S Arkansas
Round 6 (174)   Rex Hadnot C Houston
Round 7 (221)   Tony Pape OT Michigan
Round 7 (222)   Derrick Pope LB Alabama

Round 2 (49)   Eddie Moore LB Tennessee
Round 3 (78)   Wade Smith T Memphis
Round 3 (87)   Taylor Whitley G Texas A&M
Round 5 (156)   Donald Lee TE Mississippi State
Round 5 (169)   J.R. Tolver WR San Diego State
Round 6 (181)   Corey Jenkins LB South Carolina
Round 6 (209)   Tim Provost T San Jose State
Round 6 (213)   Yeremiah Bell S Eastern Kentucky
Round 7 (248)   Davern Williams DT Troy State

Round 3 (90)   Seth McKinney C Texas A&M
Round 4 (114)   Randy McMichael TE Georgia
Round 5 (161)   Omara Lowe CB Washington
Round 5 (170)   Sam Simmons WR Northwestern
Round 7 (241)   Leonard Henry RB East Carolina

Round 1 (26)   Jamar Fletcher CB Wisconsin
Round 2 (52)    Chris Chambers WR Wisconsin
Round 3 (85)   Travis Minor RB Florida State
Round 3 (88)   Morlon Greenwood LB Syracuse
Round 5 (156)   Shawn Draper T Alabama
Round 6 (164)   Brandon Winey T Louisiana State
Round 6 (177)   Josh Heupel QB Oklahoma
Round 6 (187)   Otis Leverette DB Alabama-Birmingham
Round 6 (188)   Rick Crowell LB Colorado State
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:06:12 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:50 pm »

^ I totally agree.  ....which leads to my point.  The front office's strategy for drafting and acquiring players has been poor.  However, it's still the same people in charge, making the same kinds of decisions.

I think that Steven Ross' very public attempt for Harbaugh really hurts us too and makes us look foolish.  You can't go after a guy like that publicly and then come back to the same coach again.  It's not that we kept Sparano, it's that we ended up with him after letting everyone know that he wasn't wanted.  It just weakens your organization.

I drink your milkshake!
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 12:22:36 pm »

I see the plan.  The plan was to address line play first and get a vet QB (Pennington).  While doing so we churned the bottom of the roster for special teams.  It was clear that they believed grooming a big school QB would be a good way to go and did so.  Then we addressed skill positions (WR, Corners, Safety) with young talent.  Finally, we got younger and faster at running back.  Simple plan, and one that is hard to argue with.

The problem is that the O-line never got it together and Pennington went down way too early.  On top of that, they underestimated how outdated Dan Hennings offensive philosophy was.  

Thus, the plan hasn't worked.  To me, the biggest problem is that we aren't getting guys with good football IQs.  Our players are inconsistent and too reactive.  A great QB and a fast instinctive safety could probably hide some these issues, but we don't have that.  I really don't know what they need to do other than mortgage a draft or two for a QB we can feel confident in.

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 12:27:04 pm »

That's because we're still rebuilding... We have to build from the line out... Because we have to sit Rookie QBs for 10 years because he'll have his confidence shattered if he's thrown into the fire... (insert huge rolleyes here) I blame ownership, dated GMs, and hard-headed coaches.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »

There's a few players here and there that have a nice season or 2, but there hasn't been 1 franchise player brought in since Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor. Not 1. I like Long a lot, but honestly I just don't see him as a franchise player.
You're reaching.

Either you don't believe it's possible for a left tackle to be a franchise player, or you are undervaluing Long because of the Dolphins' record.  He's arguably the best LT in the league, has made the Pro Bowl every year he's been in the league, and was first-team All-Pro last year.  He's been better at his job (at this point in his career) than Zach or JT were at the same point.

If you want to make the point that Miami has not drafted long-term players very well, that's fine.  But when you have to throw out crazy talk like "Jake Long wasn't really a franchise-quality pick" to justify your claim, it weakens your entire argument.  It's enough to say that the only time the Dolphins got a franchise player is when they were drafting #1 overall (and notably, not when they drafted #2 overall).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:58:01 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 01:01:17 pm »

I have no problems with Long.  Good pick, franchise player -- no question.  But drafting, as a whole, has been pretty poor, especially at positions of need.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray