Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:48:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A different take on the draft
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: A different take on the draft  (Read 6302 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

Since most of you say you wouldn't do it if you're Miami, are you saying you would do it if you were Indy?

in a hearbeat.
tubba marxxx
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »

in a hearbeat.

Agreed

You don't pass up the opportunity to be on the clock for the first half hour of the draft
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 01:47:29 pm »

Ok, I'm gonna bring this up again because I honestly believe it's a good question especially with what we saw this passed weekend. Why NOT try to trade for Peyton Manning with Indy?  Especially if we end up winning another game or 2 and drop even further down in the draft? Again assuming that the colts are going to pick Luck, why not try to get Peyton? I think now would be the time to get him.

Sure there's a risk. He might never be the same Peyton Manning, but then again there's also a possible big time reward. Remember when there was no guarantee that Drew Brees was ever going to be the same QB? Have you noticed lately what Drew Brees has done in New Orleans? New Orleans took a chance and it paid off. Sometimes that's what you gotta do, take a chance.

Sure, if I had my choice I'd love to get a QB in the draft that I was sure was going to be a franchise player, but the odds of that happening are starting to get more and more slim. What if we don't get either Luck or Landry? Are you still sure we end up with a QB that can turn the franchise around? Heck are you still even sure that Miami takes a QB? Sure Manning might not be the guy he was prior to the injury, but isn't it worth a shot especially if we don't have the #1 pick and especially if we have say the #3 or #4 pick? Even if Manning is only 90% of what he was prior to the injury isn't that better than about 95% of the QB's in the league? And what if he only plays for 2 or 3 more years, wouldn't that give the new coach 2 or 3 more years to find his replacement in the draft?

I'm not saying it's the perfect scenario, but I'm saying it's a possible scenario and one I'd be willing to pursue if Indy takes Luck. Now if Indy doesn't take Luck, then that changes everything.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:57:07 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Landshark
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 02:06:38 pm »

Ok, I'm gonna bring this up again because I honestly believe it's a good question especially with what we saw this passed weekend. Why NOT try to trade for Peyton Manning with Indy? 

Because you want a QB that is going to be able to help you win games for the next 10-15 years, not one who has 3 or 4 years tops left in him and is coming off a major surgery from a critical injury. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 03:34:11 pm »

^^Yes that is what you want, but that's easier said than done. At this point I think the odds that Peyton comes back and plays well for a couple years is higher than the odds of finding a franchise QB in the draft if picking 4th or lower.

I'm a programmer and I know that some times you put in a short term fix to give you more time to find a long term solution. It's not ideal, but it's certainly better than waiting a year on the long term fix only to find out it's no better than the fix you could have put in a year earlier.

dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 03:42:13 pm »

now that luck is out of the question, this may be the next best approach.

manning isn't going to cost a ton, this team has talent, plus has a very high pick in the draft next year (manning wouldn't cost a first rounder).

draft someone like blackmon, bring in manning, and aggressively play free agency. im not advocating it, but it would be an approach to give you a chance to make a run at it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 05:43:39 pm »

It is very difficult if not impossible for Indy to trade Manning. Manning has a roster bonus due March 8th. If they pay him that, then they almost can't trade him cause it kills their cap. To trade him before March 8th is difficult if not impossible.

If Indy is getting rid of Peyton they will CUT him. It's the only way they really can

And yes, Peyton can push off his roster bonus and NOT take it March 8th, but what is in it for him? Why do that? He would rather be a FA and pick his next spot than help a team who will trade him someplace he might not want to go.

But I think its a big waste of time, Indy will find a way to make Manning and Luck work when all is said and done. At least for 1 year if not longer.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 05:17:17 pm »

Sorry...why is Luck out of the question with 8 games left to still be played? -EK
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:38 am »

you are what your record says you are, but...

this dolphins team really isn't 1-7 bad. they have some talent, which just can't be said for the colts. say what you want about sparano, but the team hasn't packed it in. they still play hard for the guy...

i can see the dolphins going 4-4 over the last stretch of the season, starting with a win tomorrow against the skins.
RhodeIslandPhinFan

"I think Marino just threw another TD pass!!!"

RallMonkey
Email
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 02:44:09 pm »

I'll take Matt Barkley over Landry Jones....just sayin.

"Last January, when I was elected to the Hall of Fame, I challenged Dolphins fans to overrun Canton, Ohio. You know what? You've taken it over! Thank you, thank you, all of you, the 13 jersey up there - everybody up in the corners. Thank you all of you so much."
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 02:50:22 pm »

Sorry...why is Luck out of the question with 8 games left to still be played? -EK
It would be more accurate to say that the #1 pick is out of the question.

IND is 0-10.  MIA is 2-7.  IND would have to win 3 of their remaining 6 games to wind up anywhere but #1, and MIA would have to lose out.

AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 02:54:07 pm »

I'll take Matt Barkley over Landry Jones....just sayin.

I would have to disagree with this.....Barkley just does not impress me at all. I do not see him being much in the NFL. I also could be way, way, off base but that is my opinion.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 07:12:26 pm »

Barkley's drawback is his height

Jones has the best arm out of everyone (including Luck) and can make every throw necessary on the NFL level... but he is a cigar shop wooden indian who can't move to save his life.

So would you rather have a QB with little mobility but has an elite arm or a guy with a good arm but can move a bit in the pocket and outside the pocket if need be. Me, I would take either and just build around whoever ya got.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 12:14:33 pm »

Barkley's drawback is his height
According to Wikipedia he's 6'2".  Is that incorrect? That's certainly not too short if it's correct. I guess it's better to be 6'4", but I really don't think that makes much difference.

I kinda like Barkley over Jones.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:18:49 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

So would you rather have a QB with little mobility but has an elite arm

We had one of those already and he was one of the greatest QB's of all time.....so yeah I would take that again!!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray