Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:58:37 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Poll: Are you on the "Suck for Luck" bandwagon?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Poll
Question: Suck for Luck?
Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Are you on the "Suck for Luck" bandwagon?  (Read 16614 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »

And as I said before, if you think that your favorite team losing games this year can directly lead to them winning championships in the near future, it doesn't somehow make you less of a fan to want them to lose now.

As I have said before, you can still get a NFL quality QB without losing every game. Get off the we have to lose now to win in the future argument. It is not imperitive that we have the #1 pick in order to get a great QB.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:26:58 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »

I am 100% on board with "Suck for Luck".  There is absolutely no benefit in winning and very good QBs are hard to find.  I don't root to lose, but I don't root to win.  I just watch the games expecting us to lose and hope it is a respectable showing (so we don't scare away good coaching prospects).

If you aren't on board with "Suck for Luck", I just don't get it.  Sparano and Ireland are dead men walking.  There is simply no doubt that the team will be remodeled after this season so why not start the remodel with a kick ass gift card to fix your number one area of need?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 03:17:37 pm »

I am 100% on board with "Suck for Luck".  There is absolutely no benefit in winning and very good QBs are hard to find.  I don't root to lose, but I don't root to win.  I just watch the games expecting us to lose and hope it is a respectable showing (so we don't scare away good coaching prospects).

If you aren't on board with "Suck for Luck", I just don't get it.  Sparano and Ireland are dead men walking.  There is simply no doubt that the team will be remodeled after this season so why not start the remodel with a kick ass gift card to fix your number one area of need?

There is a difference in expecting to lose and rooting to lose. If you aren't rooting to lose how can you say you are on board with "Suck for Luck"? Also, why does it have to be Andrew Luck and the #1 pick? Why couldn't we be as successful by drafting one of the other top three QBs? if we suck so bad we end up number 1 to get Luck I'm all for it. If we end up number 2 and take Jones or barkley it is as if some of you guys will jump off a building.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:51 pm »

Chalk me up for a "No". First of all there is no guarantee that we will get Luck as there are a handful of shitty teams (Colts, Rams, Cardinals.....etc.) Second although I personally think he will be a great QB in this league there is always a chance he could get injured and not amount to shit or end up being Ryan Leaf. I always want my team to win and I was really angry the last two weeks and the Cleveland game when we pissed away victories.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »

There is a difference in expecting to lose and rooting to lose. If you aren't rooting to lose how can you say you are on board with "Suck for Luck"? Also, why does it have to be Andrew Luck and the #1 pick? Why couldn't we be as successful by drafting one of the other top three QBs? if we suck so bad we end up number 1 to get Luck I'm all for it. If we end up number 2 and take Jones or barkley it is as if some of you guys will jump off a building.
Here's the scenario that scares me. Suppose Miami ends up with the #2 pick. How do you know they are gonna take Jones or Barkley? Suppose they take a WR or a Defensive end or god forbid another lineman.  Do you KNOW they are going to take a QB at #2 if they can't get Luck? I don't and I don't want to take that chance. I think the ONLY way to guarantee Miami takes a QB is to get the 1st pick in the draft so they can take Luck. Even Miami isn't stupid enough to pass on Luck.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

There is a difference in expecting to lose and rooting to lose. If you aren't rooting to lose how can you say you are on board with "Suck for Luck"?

That is the nice part.  The team makes it easy on me where I don't have to root for them to lose, I can just sit there and expect it and wah la, another one for the loss column.

For real, we have plenty of injuries and enough shitty conditioning to keep us losing for the rest of the season.  The tough schedule is a security blanket at this point.

I will tell you who I do root for though...  those damn Colts and Manning's medical staff!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »

They have drafted 2 different 2nd round QB's.  By the way, Drew Brees was a 2nd round QB.

Most of the haters are very specific about their desire for a 1st round QB.

So that way, when he's a bust, he can cripple the franchise because not only do you still have a bust QB, but you also wasted your 1st round pick that year.
Unless I'm mistaken, it was 3 QBs taken in the 2nd round.  Beck, Henne and White.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »

Here's the scenario that scares me. Suppose Miami ends up with the #2 pick. How do you know they are gonna take Jones or Barkley? Suppose they take a WR or a Defensive end or god forbid another lineman.  Do you KNOW they are going to take a QB at #2 if they can't get Luck? I don't and I don't want to take that chance. I think the ONLY way to guarantee Miami takes a QB is to get the 1st pick in the draft so they can take Luck. Even Miami isn't stupid enough to pass on Luck.
I wouldn't worry too much.  On most mock big boards, Jones is #3 only behind Luck and a LT.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »

As I have said before, you can still get a NFL quality QB without losing every game.
You can get a Hall of Fame QB in the 6th round.  But that's not the point.

The point is that some are accusing others of being lesser fans for having a belief that losing today will result in increased success in the future.  If you disagree, that's fine!  But it doesn't somehow make you a superior fan.

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »

The point is that some are accusing others of being lesser fans for having a belief that losing today will result in increased success in the future.  If you disagree, that's fine!  But it doesn't somehow make you a superior fan.

My sentiments exactly.  Well put, sir.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »

Not me. I just want to see my team win a game.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:18 am »

I view it like this:

Pregame:  I do my pregame Dolphins dance in front of the mirror because I'm a creeper like that.  I put on my jersey during said dance.  I play the Miami Dolphins fight song, original AND T-pain versions. 

Game:  I cheer crazy for my team.

Postgame:  I say, "Well, at least we're one step closer to a franchise QB in the draft!"
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 07:52:46 am »

I can't remember which one said it or the exact quote but one of the sports writers wote about us finding a QB several years ago ... It went something like this.

It snowed in Miami once back in the 80s but i wouldn't want to purchase my winter wardrobe off of that. I'd better take my chances going up north to find snow in the winter. With this he said we should be doing everything to draft a QB high in the draft as it increased our odds.  Does it guarantee it? Nope but it certainly increases your odds.

If we screw around and win a few games, and it could happen, we might not get one of the first three QBs and then how much more would this season hurt than it already does? I mean 2007 certainly didn't get us a QB so here we are again with nothing to show from our pains as it got us a servicable RB. Picking 1 or 2 next year pretty much guarantees us a QB that is at least worthy of a project. Picking 4th or 5th keeps us in limbo. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 09:43:26 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, it was 3 QBs taken in the 2nd round.  Beck, Henne and White.
You're right but I don't consider Pat White a valid QB.  He was drafted as a lame Wildcat experiment.

At least I hope so...
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:35 am »

I wouldn't worry too much.  On most mock big boards, Jones is #3 only behind Luck and a LT.
I'll still sleep better at night if we end up with the 1st pick.

The other thing to consider is that with the 1st pick you can negotiate a contract with the player beforehand. We could already have Luck signed by the time the Dolphins name comes up on the board on draft day. That would save me having to sit through about 18 hours of listening to Mel Kiper Jr talk prior to the draft. That alone is worth a couple of Miami losses right there. Smiley

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray