Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:04:49 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Poll: Are you on the "Suck for Luck" bandwagon?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Poll
Question: Suck for Luck?
Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Are you on the "Suck for Luck" bandwagon?  (Read 16615 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 11:42:17 am »

^^^ If Manning could pass a physical I could see giving up two 1st round picks.  He stills has a couple years left, not to mention he brings a level of leadership that this team hasn't seen in a while.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 11:55:55 am »

Agreed with Phish.  I STRONGLY feel that there are lots of ways to get better and many people feel like the only way to improve is named Andrew Luck.  I disagree.
I think the way to get better is to spend a top-5 draft pick on a top-rated QB, something that the Dolphins haven't done since...I dunno, Bob Griese?

The way the Dolphins typically operate (in every aspect) is to go with the popular decision that everyone wants, and it never ever ever pans out.
The names Brady Quinn and Ryan Mallet come to mind.

In my opinion, any pick in the top 10 will be a "make your team better" player.
Are you going to cheer the next Ted Ginn selection?

And I'm not willing to root AGAINST my favorite team, which I have been die-hard for 30 years, just to draft one single QB that will likely be a flop anyway.

That's how I see it.  I'd rather win a few games, feel good, ruin a few other people's seasons, and have an ounce of pride than put all my eggs in Andrew Luck's basket.
I guess if you feel better about a 5-11 season with a #7 pick than a 1-15 season with a #1 pick, sure.  I do find it amazing that a certain contingent of fans on this board still seems to be on board with acquiring second-round-caliber QBs ad infinitum, though.

I will say that it is becoming tiresome hearing that wishing for my team to have a better pick in the draft (for purposes of long-term success) is somehow less prideful than hoping for a last-place division finish, but with a mighty 4 wins.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »

Maybe if you quit telling Dolphin fans how you want them to lose games you will quit hearing about pride.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54:27 pm »

So if I'm lucky, I will get to hear more about the pride of a 4-12 season.  Got it.

The difference between you and I is that while I disagree with your position (loosely stated as "win today and let tomorrow handle itself"), I'm not actually disparaging you as a fan because of it.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 12:20:49 pm »

^ That's what rubs me, too.

I wanted us to lose.  I don't think it makes me a bad fan.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 12:44:44 pm »

I think it makes you a borderline fan at all. The only saving grace is the fact you feel it will create a more success (when in reality it doesn't make any guarantees at all).
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »

I think it makes you a borderline fan at all. The only saving grace is the fact you feel it will create a more success (when in reality it doesn't make any guarantees at all).

It doesn't guarantee anything, of course.  ...but it makes it much more likely.  Odds are, that the team who ends up with Luck with have a better QB on their hands in 5 years that the team that drafts 5th.  It's not for sure, but it's the smart money bet.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »

And what, exactly, did a win against KC guarantee?  What did trading for Ricky Williams or Brandon Marshall guarantee?  What did signing Joey Porter or Karlos Dansby guarantee?  What did hiring Bill Parcells guarantee?

Nothing in this league is guaranteed.  Pointing out that drafting the best prospect of his generation doesn't guarantee improvement is a content-free statement; no one is arguing that it does.  Miami could trade for Aaron Rodgers and Adrian Peterson tomorrow and it wouldn't guarantee anything.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 02:28:53 pm »

drafting the best prospect of his generation

That's a great way to sum it up. I mean, you can look at any QB currently in the NFL and know that Luck comes with more upside than any one of them at this point in their career. It doesn't guarantee a darn thing but at least it's an attempt at stacking the deck.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 03:52:32 pm »

drafting the best prospect of his generation

know that Luck comes with more upside than any one of them at this point in their career.

This is where the flaw is in your argument.  How do you KNOW he is the best prospect?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:21 pm »

Brian, Luck is the best prospect of his generation.  You do recognize the difference between best prospect and best player, right?

You didn't see an analogue to Suck For Luck for Mike Vick, or Carson Palmer, or Alex Smith, or Sam Bradford.  Hell, you didn't even see one for Peyton Manning.  And these are all current NFL players, so you can't exactly play the "it was a different era" card like you could for someone like Elway.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 04:11:57 pm »

You didn't see an analogue to Suck For Luck for Mike Vick, or Carson Palmer, or Alex Smith, or Sam Bradford. 

I don't have any doubt on Luck's status as a prospect. I would be happy to get him. I don't think we can deny the convenience of the rhyming name helping craze to catch fire though.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »

I'm on the what the fuck bandwagon.  I'm still trying to figure out if our owner is a smart business owner or Tommy Boy.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2011, 09:53:44 pm »

I'm on the what the fuck bandwagon.  I'm still trying to figure out if our owner is a smart business owner or Tommy Boy.

If our owner was Tommy Boy... Instead of Gloria Estefan, J-Lo and Marc Anthony as celebrity owners, we'd probably have Ted Nugent, AC/DC and Metallica.

I'd probably actually give a fuck about our celebrity owners in that case.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2011, 10:59:01 am »

If our owner was Tommy Boy... Instead of Gloria Estefan, J-Lo and Marc Anthony as celebrity owners, we'd probably have Ted Nugent, AC/DC and Metallica.

I'd probably actually give a fuck about our celebrity owners in that case.

I concur.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray