Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:35:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  For actual fans only
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: For actual fans only  (Read 13876 times)
tubba marxxx
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:00:12 pm »

What I mean by that is the fans that actually cheer for Miami to win football games, not this hipster "I hope my favorite team loses" crap

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/the-late-jim-mandich-will-join-the-dolphin-2001626.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

RIP Mad Dog

Let's play inspired football this week Gentlemen!! 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:06 pm »

Wanting Miami to lose is "hipster?".  Please explain.

I drink your milkshake!
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:17:50 pm »

An actual Fins fan that wants the fins to lose. Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

And you call yourself an actual fan huh Huh Huh Huh

PLZ Explain  Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »

I'll explain.  A couple of key losses this year could mean dozens of wins in the future.  Now, I feel that opportunity has passed.  But it was a real possibility, in my opinion.

I am a real fan, but I don't judge success on a game by game basis.  I want championships.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:03 pm »

I'll explain.  A couple of key losses this year could mean dozens of wins in the future.  Now, I feel that opportunity has passed.  But it was a real possibility, in my opinion.

I am a real fan, but I don't judge success on a game by game basis.  I want championships.

Agree. At this point with 3 wins and the teams ahead of us in the draft "if the season ended today", if Miami wants a franchise QB they will have to package up a future 1st round pick and probably a couple 2nd and 3rds and move up anyway. I'm fine with that. It is what it is.

Win or Lose in December....doesn't matter. Coach is still gone. Ireland is probably gone. Nothing can save Sparano and it might take a miracle to save Ireland.
tubba marxxx
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »

Wanting Miami to lose is "hipster?".  Please explain.

Hipster as in trendy.  It's become the "trend" to want your team to lose.  And I think it's crap.  Period.  End of story. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:38:59 pm »

That's kinda the opposite of hipster.  The whole joke about the hipster movement is that they were into [insert whatever] before it became popular.  It's anti-trendy if anything.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 11:41:55 pm »

But on to context:

Do you know how teams will take a safety on purpose sometimes, if it means the path to long-term victory is greater?  It's not that they like giving the other team points, but in the long run, it's better for the team.   Same idea, over a longer term.

It's not like me hoping for us to gt a safety makes me a bad fan.  It's just me looking at the big picture to victory.

I drink your milkshake!
tubba marxxx
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 11:59:10 pm »

That's kinda the opposite of hipster.  The whole joke about the hipster movement is that they were into [insert whatever] before it became popular.  It's anti-trendy if anything.

I hear you, but it's still a trend.  It's actually the biggest contradiction ever.  But anyways, I understand both side of the story..I just can't bring myself to root against Miami..as much as they piss me off
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:46 am »

It's funny how a certain segment of the population sees a desire for Dolphin losses as a betrayal to fandom, but has no problem whatever criticizing the team (which is no more fan-like).

You disagree?  Feel free to explain what goal you are trying to accomplish by criticizing a team that you are supposedly a fan of, and how a Dolphin fan criticizing MIA differs from a Jet fan criticizing MIA.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:55:00 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

shamrock

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:18:53 am »

It's funny how a certain segment of the population sees a desire for Dolphin losses as a betrayal to fandom, but has no problem whatever criticizing the team (which is no more fan-like).

You disagree?  Feel free to explain what goal you are trying to accomplish by criticizing a team that you are supposedly a fan of, and how a Dolphin fan criticizing MIA differs from a Jet fan criticizing MIA.
Totally disagree! A real fan ALWAYS wants their team to win and is dissapointed when they don't and will criticize the plays the coaches whatever.Draft picks don't always pan out in the big leagues,I have seen tons of great college can't miss prospects that only had mediocre NFL careers.So,IMO wanting your team to lose just so you can get the number one guy is ridiculous.
Criticizing one's own team is part of being a fan......
It's like I can talk bad about a member of my family when they screw up-but YOU had better not!
tubba marxxx
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:26:39 am »

Totally disagree! A real fan ALWAYS wants their team to win and is dissapointed when they don't and will criticize the plays the coaches whatever.Draft picks don't always pan out in the big leagues,I have seen tons of great college can't miss prospects that only had mediocre NFL careers.So,IMO wanting your team to lose just so you can get the number one guy is ridiculous.
It's like I can talk bad about a member of my family when they screw up-but YOU had better not!

this
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:40:02 am »

You are delusional if you are implying that a football team with 53 total strangers on it is a member of your family.

Other than that, you're good.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:55:53 am »

They'll never understand a simple point like that for some reason. No sense in trying to do it again when we've beaten this dead horse.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:11:47 am »

But on to context:

Do you know how teams will take a safety on purpose sometimes, if it means the path to long-term victory is greater?  It's not that they like giving the other team points, but in the long run, it's better for the team.   Same idea, over a longer term.

It's not like me hoping for us to gt a safety makes me a bad fan.  It's just me looking at the big picture to victory.

But do you also realize how rare it is for a team to take a safety on purpose?

Also, the comparison is terrible if, as Spider claims, you don't want Miami throwing games on purpose. In your example the team effectively gives up points on purpose. The claim from Spider all along is the "Suck for Luck" movement has had nothing to do with throwing games.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:24:20 am by Phishfan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray