Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:33:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Brandon Marshall is Crazy, but...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Brandon Marshall is Crazy, but...  (Read 3173 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »

The man has 850 yards receiving with a 14.4 YPC average this season with 6 games to go and having the likes of Chad Henne and Matt Moore as his QB's. He is quietly having an excellent season. I know he is a headcase and I can understand the calls to get rid of him, but I would hold onto him until we have a new QB.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:47 pm »

The man has 850 yards receiving with a 14.4 YPC average this season with 6 games to go and having the likes of Chad Henne and Matt Moore as his QB's. He is quietly having an excellent season. I know he is a headcase and I can understand the calls to get rid of him, but I would hold onto him until we have a new QB.

how many big touchdowns has he dropped? Having a good year, not a great year. Great WR's drop at most 1 TD all year, maybe none. Marshall is around 6 or 7 now. Can't drop that many and be considered "great'.

I know I am the "marshall hater" but putting all the other off the field BS aside his on the field play has been adequate, not great this year.
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:33:00 am »

Brandon Marshall is absolutely not having an excellent season. He's having an "OK" season.

He's 9th in the NFL with 850 Yards (two TE's are ahead of him in yardage)
He's tied for 7th in the NFL with 59 receptions
He's tied for 51st in the NFL with 3 TDs (with a whole bunch of other players)
He's 2nd in the NFL with 10 dropped passes (Roddy White has 11 for 1st place)

He also:

- Was "briefly detained" two weeks ago
- Said he wanted to "get thrown out of the game" @ Jets on MNF
- Stumbled inexplicably out of bounds with no-one in front or to the side of him after a catch
- Dropped at least 3 TD passes that I can recall, if not more
- Has ran his mouth at least two other times during the year.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:02:18 am »

Agreeing with both jtex and MikeO is disturbing...

That said, the only problem with Marshall is his pay grade. He's getting a boat load of money every year (10+M) and not delivering that kind of performance.

HOWEVER, we should absolutely keep him unless a significant upgrade can be found AND the cap money is needed elsewhere. This regime has let way too many starters go, swapping similar levels of performance. That's not how you get better and that's not how you build depth.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »

He's 9th in the NFL with 850 Yards (two TE's are ahead of him in yardage)
He's tied for 7th in the NFL with 59 receptions

I hope you put these two stats in there to show a balanced analysis, since they put him well within the top 10% of the league, which would indicate an "excellent" season.

BTW, I agree he is NOT have an "excellent" season.  However, IF he had made about ten of those important catches that he dropped it would be an excellent season.  Sadly, even as things stand now he is probably the top offensive weapon on the team.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

I don't see the games, so I don't really see the dropped passes.

Still, 9th in receiving yards is excellent to me. How many wideouts on a team, 3 or 4? Times 32 teams and I would say being 9th is excellent.

We don't score TD's in general, so him not having many isn't an issue for me. His salary sucks, but he is by far our best offensive player, so let's keep him for now.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »

I don't see the games, so I don't really see the dropped passes.

There are a lot of them. Including 6 or 7 dropped touchdowns. I lost count frankly on the exact number. Last to my knowledge it was 6 or 7, it may be more now.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:45:43 am »

He also:

- Was "briefly detained" two weeks ago
- Said he wanted to "get thrown out of the game" @ Jets on MNF
- Stumbled inexplicably out of bounds with no-one in front or to the side of him after a catch
- Dropped at least 3 TD passes that I can recall, if not more
- Has ran his mouth at least two other times during the year.

How does being detained have anything to do with his play? He didn't shoot himself in the foot, like a certain Giants receiver, so that's a moot point. The Jets game he was going to get thrown out of? 109 receiving yards. Another moot point. Ran his mouth? Yeah...no great players do that. YES, he has dropped a lot of passes this year. So has Roddy White; so did TO throughout his career. Both of those guys seem like pretty great receivers. FWIW, he caught a TD against Dallas with a guy bearhugging him into the end zone. Didn't drop that one, and guess what? Miami still lost. Apparently his drops have nothing to do with Miami's win-loss record. Perhaps he has turned a corner. Perhaps not. He was leading the league in dropped passes BEFORE Miami acquired him. Everyone ignored that fact, and loved the acquisition. You can't go back now and say, "Oh, he's only average because he drops some balls," if he was "great" when he played in Denver, with better QB play and he dropped MORE balls there. Either he was great then (seems to be the consensus) and dropped balls, or he still drops balls, but was never great. You don't get it both ways.  He's on pace for 1200+ yards, which would be the fourth highest total in team history, and 86 receptions, which would be tied for second all-time. How is that not a "great" season??? -EK
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:47:41 am by EKnight » Logged
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 12:05:30 pm »

Being 9th and 7th in the league in Yards and Receptions is excellent - in a silo
Being T-51st in TDs with 3 through 12 games and 2nd with 10 drops is abysmal - in a silo

Combined, it's about "OK".

You can't cherry pick which statistics you are going to use to build a case about his overall body of work. You have to include the entire body of work to analyze the body of work.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:17:18 pm »

I was very hard on Marshall, but I am feeling better about him.  He's been more effective as of late, and I'm more comfortable with him being a pillar of the team in future seasons.  I wouldn't say he's having an excellent season, but for one that started off bad, he's righting the ship.  I hope this play continues to improve and he can shake off the rest of whatever is in his head.

I drink your milkshake!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »

Being 9th and 7th in the league in Yards and Receptions is excellent - in a silo
Being T-51st in TDs with 3 through 12 games and 2nd with 10 drops is abysmal - in a silo

Combined, it's about "OK".

You can't cherry pick which statistics you are going to use to build a case about his overall body of work. You have to include the entire body of work to analyze the body of work.

I'm not cherry picking. He is the exact same guy he was in Denver. Lots of drops and 5-6 TDs a year. He is having yardage and reception numbers on par or better than in Denver. Don't dogs the question- how was he considered "great" there, but with similar or better stats in Miami and worse qb play, he is somehow not great anymore? -EK
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 01:36:26 pm »

I'm am not "dog" the question. You are asking the wrong person. I never said he was great to begin with. Go ask whomever said he was great to begin with.

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 02:39:03 pm »

Well he was a two-time pro bowler, so SOMEBODY thought he was great. -EK
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 04:00:40 pm »

Well he was a two-time pro bowler, so SOMEBODY thought he was great. -EK

I'm pretty sure it was most of everyone.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 06:25:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was most of everyone.

And THAT is exactly my point. You can't have "most of everyone" label a guy as great, vote him to the Pro Bowl two years, and then have him put up equal or better numbers THIS season, and say he's just average. The numbers speak for themselves:

Career heading into this year:
82.6 receptions, 1006.6 yards, 5.6 TD's per year, 12.25 drops per season

This year's pace:
85.8 receptions (better), 1236.4 yards (better), 4.36 TD's (a whopping 1.2 TD difference....wow....), 14.55 drops (again, a whopping difference of 2.3).

If his numbers were good enough to make him "great" before, they're good enough now. They haven't changed. Is everyone just really that blind? He has ALWAYS dropped balls, he has NEVER been a big time TD guy, and he is no different now. Miami got exactly what they thought they were getting, and everyone loved it and said "Yippee, skippy, we got a number one receiver," without actually looking at what he was. Not his fault now, if he's still the same player and fans think he should somehow magically be better because, golly gee, now he's playing for "our" team. Get a clue before you bash they guy. He's having a GREAT year. His stats are almost exactly the same as Roddy White's (1 less drop, 1 less TD, 4 fewer catches, 20 more yards), but I doubt that White catches so much heat from "fans" of his team. -EK
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray