Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:01:14 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Brandon Marshall is Crazy, but...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Brandon Marshall is Crazy, but...  (Read 3174 times)
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »

Can anyone give me one receiver we have had in the last 10 years that was better than Brandon Marshall has been since he has been here?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

Chris Chambers in 2005.

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 10:16:40 pm »

Chris Chambers in 2005.

Not really better (per game).  But Chambers did have a few good years with us so I am not trying to slight him or anything.  Still, he only broke 1000 yards one season.  Average out Chambers career in Miami (per game) and it really isn't as good as Marshall has been (per game).  Remember, Marshall missed two games last year.

Spider only - Who do you think is the better receiver, Chambers or Marshall?  And I don't mean today obviously.  Pretend Chambers and Marshall entered the league at the same time.

------------------------------------

My point is this...  Marshall is the best receiver we have had around here for a really long time.  Why would anyone give a rats ass what we pay him?  Be freakin' happy and stop hatin' on the guy.  Does he have some drops?  Yes.  But think about how many times Henne overthrew him.  Think of how many TDs he missed out on because Henne couldn't even get the ball in his general area last year.  Think of how he missed all of training camp last year due to hip surgery and still kicked ass.  Think of how he went from Henning's shit hole offense and had to move into a totally new offense with very little offseason and he is still kicking ass.

The guy is awesome, IMO.  And if the negative ass Miami fans run him off, I will be so disappointed.  I think the guy will just continue to get better as we start to straighten this team out.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:25:09 am »

You're preaching to the choir; I think Marshall is the best skill-position player on the team, by a not-insignificant margin.

That being said, Chambers' 2005 was significantly better than Marshall's 2010 (and I think it's fair to factor injuries when evaluating players, especially since Marshall has played all 16 games exactly once in his 6-year career).

Chambers- 82 catches/1118 yds/11 TDs
Marshall- 86 catches/1014 yds/3 TDs

That's not even a close comparison.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:26:57 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 10:14:52 am »

We are probably going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to your "not even close" comment.

I just don't see how 100 more yards with 2 more games is "not even close".  And yes, I see the TD stat as well.  But that is the problem with stats; they just don't really tell the story.

Recall how many times Marshall was targeted in the red zone in 2010 and Henne blatantly blew the throw.  It was pathetic. 

Also recall the question...  What receiver have we had in Miami in the last 10 years that was better than Brandon Marshall has been in Miami?  It isn't a question that says anything about who had a better year in TD column or in the yardage column.  It is a subjective question. 

So if you don't mind, Spider.  Would you answer the subjective question...  Who is/was the better receiver, Marshall or Chambers?  I won't freak if you say Chambers because I think he was a reasonably close second.  But still, it would be hard not to question the judgement of someone who says Marshall isn't the best we have had here in a very long time.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 10:29:34 am »

We are probably going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to your "not even close" comment.

I just don't see how 100 more yards with 2 more games is "not even close".  And yes, I see the TD stat as well.  But that is the problem with stats; they just don't really tell the story.

Recall how many times Marshall was targeted in the red zone in 2010 and Henne blatantly blew the throw.  It was pathetic. 

Also recall the question...  What receiver have we had in Miami in the last 10 years that was better than Brandon Marshall has been in Miami?  It isn't a question that says anything about who had a better year in TD column or in the yardage column.  It is a subjective question. 

So if you don't mind, Spider.  Would you answer the subjective question...  Who is/was the better receiver, Marshall or Chambers?  I won't freak if you say Chambers because I think he was a reasonably close second.  But still, it would be hard not to question the judgement of someone who says Marshall isn't the best we have had here in a very long time.

You make some decent points. But being the best WR on a franchise that has been bad to god awful for a decade now, so what?! It's like claiming to be the smartest stooge out of the 3 stooges, yeah you are the smartest of the bunch, but who cares you are still an idiot! Marshall has been the best WR, ok but that still doesn't make him anything special. Just the best of a bad bunch.

And because we are in a salary cap era doesn't mean he is worth his cap number. Whoever our next GM is I hope they try to re-work Marshall's deal or go play hard ball "Vernon Carey Style" like we did with him in August.

And for every Henne overthrow of Marshall in the endzone the past 2 years there is an equal amount of easy Marshall drops in the endzone. It all balances out in the end.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 01:30:57 pm »

You make some decent points. But being the best WR on a franchise that has been bad to god awful for a decade now, so what?! It's like claiming to be the smartest stooge out of the 3 stooges, yeah you are the smartest of the bunch, but who cares you are still an idiot! Marshall has been the best WR, ok but that still doesn't make him anything special. Just the best of a bad bunch.

And because we are in a salary cap era doesn't mean he is worth his cap number. Whoever our next GM is I hope they try to re-work Marshall's deal or go play hard ball "Vernon Carey Style" like we did with him in August.

And for every Henne overthrow of Marshall in the endzone the past 2 years there is an equal amount of easy Marshall drops in the endzone. It all balances out in the end.

Just so I understand, are you saying cut Marshall if he doesn't renegotiate his contract? 

The way I see it, we have at least 4 receivers on the roster each year.  We have replaced every receiver on the roster with the new regime through a mix of drafting and free agency.  Each year Marshall will have at least 6 receivers in camp competing to dethrone him as the #1 guy.  If we ever have someone that is better than him, I will gladly jump on board and say that he should not be paid #1 money and if he doesn't renegotiate then he can go.  But until that time, I have no problem paying the guy enough to keep him satisfied while he patiently waits for us to get our QB situation resolved.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 01:46:22 pm »

Just so I understand, are you saying cut Marshall if he doesn't renegotiate his contract? 

NO! But try whatever it takes to get that contract reduced. It has to be re-worked. The Fins are getting screwed on this deal big-time
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 01:54:05 pm »

NO! But try whatever it takes to get that contract reduced. It has to be re-worked. The Fins are getting screwed on this deal big-time

OK, not sure it will work, but OK. 

The thing is that he isn't producing points but he is producing in catches per game and yards per game.  His drop numbers are up, but he gets targeted a lot.  So even if he is underproducing considering his contract, it isn't by so much that I think he would negotiate.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 04:12:55 pm »

To be honest, when I think of incompletions to Marshall in the end zone (in 2010), the vast majority were straight up drops by him.  I haven't been able to see all the games this year, but of the ones I have, I think every TD drop was Marshall's fault.

Also recall the question...  What receiver have we had in Miami in the last 10 years that was better than Brandon Marshall has been in Miami?
I mean, Marshall is good, and probably the best we have had since Marino's days.  That being said, he hasn't even completed 2 years in Miami yet, he almost never plays a full season (over his career), and the best year he's turned in (so far) was inferior to that of our last legitimate #1.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 01:50:02 am »

NO! But try whatever it takes to get that contract reduced.

I think you have to be prepared to cut, or else you're just bluffing.  What's to "try"?

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray