Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:24:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  #1 area of need to address
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: #1 area of need to address  (Read 13913 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:34 am »

For me: Columbo

That guy is just not getting it done.  He's a liability on both passes and runs.  If you overpay to fix that position and not just fill the position with someone slightly better, but considerably better, it should make a big difference. 

I drink your milkshake!
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:56:41 am »

Defensive Back.  In this division you now have to have at least 5 guys who can play man-to-man instead of the traditional getting by with two or three.  Otherwise those two losses to New England this year are going to be permanent.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:07:29 am »

For me: Columbo

That guy is just not getting it done.  He's a liability on both passes and runs.  If you overpay to fix that position and not just fill the position with someone slightly better, but considerably better, it should make a big difference. 

I think we can plug Jon Jerry in Colombo's spot and be fine. Jerry played very well the 2nd half of the year at a couple spots, LT being one of them when Long went out. If Jerry can hold the fort at LT, he can damn sure play RT.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:24:33 am »

Secondary and for God's sake ANYONE on D who can cover a tight end. Miami hasn't been able to keep a tight end in check for years now, and even with the upgrades of Dansby and Burnett, facing the Pats duo twice a year is murder. The D was the 6th worst in the league against TE's gaining yards. -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:27:08 am »

The #1 area is QB.

After that, its either pass rusher or CB. Misi and Sean Smith are backups at best.
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:34:40 am »

this team has a lot of holes...

amazing to me that now entering year 5 of this regime, this team is so thin, and has so many holes to plug.

they don't have a 2nd receiver (assuming you look at marshall as a #1), the secondary could use some help, could use another edge pass rusher, o line is still not all set (mind boggling), could be looking for a nose tackle, need another pass catching tight end, all while needing to upgrade qb.

i just don't see it being wise in giving away picks to move up to get rg3 at this point. stay put at #9 (or #8), and pick best available out of wr/cb/pass rusher
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:10 am »

they don't have a 2nd receiver (assuming you look at marshall as a #1), the secondary could use some help, could use another edge pass rusher, o line is still not all set (mind boggling), could be looking for a nose tackle, need another pass catching tight end, all while needing to upgrade qb.

I don't think the o-line is as bad as thought by many. It's not perfect but its not awful either. Pouncey was good. Long if/when healthy is very good. Neither of them are probably going anywhere its safe to say. Jon Jerry played very well this year in the 2nd half of the season and filling in for Long. I think he answers our void at RT. Incognitio was fine at LG. So aside from RG (which you might keep Carey or fill it with Garner if healthy). I'm not sure our o-line is a huge mess.

I mean Reggie rushed for 1,000 behind a line with Colombo, take him out and upgrade that spot alone and you upgraded the unit. Of course if you can upgrade do it, but I don't think its a huge need or at the top of the list. QB, CB, and OLB is
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:45:31 pm »

i have grown tired of sean smith. he is not very good in coverage on playing the ball. he can run with most receivers, but stands and watches when the ball gets there and hopes he drops it. then waves his arms incomplete like he made a play. i wouldnt have a problem replacing him with a decent starting corner.

i also think the right side of the o line needs to be addressed. and maybe some depth at rb later in the draft and a free safety.

all told, unless a qb falls into your lap on draft day, dont be surprised if you get more moore next year.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:48:45 pm »

i have grown tired of sean smith. he is not very good in coverage on playing the ball. he can run with most receivers, but stands and watches when the ball gets there and hopes he drops it. then waves his arms incomplete like he made a play. i wouldnt have a problem replacing him with a decent starting corner.

i also think the right side of the o line needs to be addressed. and maybe some depth at rb later in the draft and a free safety.

all told, unless a qb falls into your lap on draft day, dont be surprised if you get more moore next year.

If we don't trade up, then you go after Flynn. If they can't land him, then next season will have similar results to this season with Moore at QB.

I don't see RB as an issue at all next year. Bush/Thomas will be a fine duo especially with Bush entering a contract year. He is running for $$$ next year.

For 2 years I have been killing Sean Smith and he hasnt improved much. Hands of stone as you said he watches plays instead of making them. They ought to charge him an admission. As a 3rd or 4th CB he is fine. As a starter he is way out of his league
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 03:52:18 pm »

Reggie rushed for 1,000 behind a line with Colombo

I get what you're saying, but that's making light of Colombo's ineptitude, imho. Top-10 rushing in any direction but right tackle and right end. 31st in those two directions. That's an astounding difference.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 04:37:21 pm »

I think we can plug Jon Jerry in Colombo's spot and be fine. Jerry played very well the 2nd half of the year at a couple spots, LT being one of them when Long went out. If Jerry can hold the fort at LT, he can damn sure play RT.
Then why wasn't he starting in place of Columbo prior to Long being hurt? Obviously the coaching staff didn't agree with you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:39:46 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:42:12 pm »

Replace Columbo and then sort the secondary, get some depth at both positions.

I think that while Qb is clearly a need the worst thing is to reach or overpay for someone like Flynn when let's face it i could throw a few td's at Qb for green bay, potentially another Cassell.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »

Then why wasn't he starting in place of Columbo prior to Long being hurt? Obviously the coaching staff didn't agree with you.

Because he was working extra time with Sparano after practice all season and they felt he wasn't ready till about mid-November. By then the season was over and they wanted Jerry as a "swing" back-up at both Guard and Tackle. And he was getting playing time when Long as healthy at Guard and Tackle at times to give guys a breather for a series here or there.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 10:57:21 pm »

Because he was working extra time with Sparano after practice all season and they felt he wasn't ready till about mid-November. By then the season was over and they wanted Jerry as a "swing" back-up at both Guard and Tackle. And he was getting playing time when Long as healthy at Guard and Tackle at times to give guys a breather for a series here or there.
So he couldn't beat out potentially the worst RT in the league? High praise.

I can't believe that you of all people still believe in this guy. He's a bust.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

So he couldn't beat out potentially the worst RT in the league? High praise.

I can't believe that you of all people still believe in this guy. He's a bust.

It takes longer with some guys, from all reports the light bulb went off with him in mid to late November. We stayed with him this long might as well stick it out. He is still very young
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray