Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:46:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ireland doesn't seem to think this is a rebuilding year.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ireland doesn't seem to think this is a rebuilding year.  (Read 1067 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: January 24, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/24/2605681/miami-dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland.html

“Are we rebuilding? I do not believe so. Are we continuing to build? Yes. We are going to build around what [coach] Joe Philbin’s vision is, a collaborative effort [with] what I’m looking for. I do like the core pieces of this roster.”

I agree. The last half of the year showed that the Dolphins have enough pieces to be competitive. They need some upgrades and if they found one at QB, that would go a long way toward making 2012 something to look forward to. That and a new coaching staff could be all we need to get back to the playoffs or at least contending for the playoffs.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:16:27 pm »

Don't read anything into this other than Ireland isn't a moron. 

Cause only a moron would say, "yeah, we consider this a rebuilding year.  We will field a team, but nobody really expects to make the playoffs in 2012, hopefully we will be in the mix in 2013."

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:29 pm »

The NFL has changed. Rebuilding is a word (which I use and shouldn't really) that is dead and buried in the NFL. Every team is on a 1 year plan for the most part. The days of giving a coach or GM 3 to 4 years are over with.

You ain't gotta win big but you better show progress and steady progress or else your screwed as a coach/gm. 

On to Ireland's quote, the defense is there. It's not perfect by any means  but it was better than a lot of the defenses that was in the playoffs this year. And was the BEST defense in the AFC East by a very wide margin. It wasn't even close actually. It's all about the offense. Getting some playmakers at WR and TE and a legit QB to throw the ball to them. Fix a spot or two on the o-line as well.

This isn't a total rebuild. Rebuild the offense, YES! Blow it up actually. On defense though not much needs to be added. Pass rusher, #2 CB, a safety.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 05:40:47 pm »

The NFL has changed. Rebuilding is a word (which I use and shouldn't really) that is dead and buried in the NFL. Every team is on a 1 year plan for the most part. The days of giving a coach or GM 3 to 4 years are over with.

I agree with half of that. 

Coaches/GMs still get a couple of years to build a team.  So I disagree with you there.

But you can't use the word.  At the begining of the season you can't say, "we see this as a build/rebuild year"  cause you are implying you have already decided you ain't making a run for the playoffs.  That is loser talk.

End of the season you might say, "we had a rebuilding year, and expect to do better next year"  But you never talk about the future as rebuilding.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »

I don't really think we're rebuilding, either.

I'd say that we have a few positions to work on, but if we can get good QB play, then we can win some games and make the playoffs.  In fact, a lot of that will be helped if the Jets and Pats fall off a bit.

I drink your milkshake!
el diablo
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:50 pm »

Its more like re-tooling. Every team does that every year. Rebuilding implies a vision. I'm not seeing that. "Rebuilding" around a 3rd level candidate doesn't imply a vision. It implies a scapegoat.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray