Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:14:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Free Agency discussion.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Free Agency discussion.  (Read 6825 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 01:35:43 am »

The Giants defense was terrible in the Super Bowl. They let Brady complete 16 straight passes against them and JPP their best player on defense batted down 1 pass in the 1st quarter and did nothing the rest of the game. NOTHING!
Are you kidding me? They scored 17 points! Only 15 more points then the Giants Defense! Their drives consisted of a safety, FG, 3 and out, TD, TD, 3 and out, INT, PUNT, END OF GAME. They scored on 3 of 9 drives and turned the ball over on 2 drives. That's FANTASTIC against the Patriots. I dare you to find anyone who did a better job of containing New England this year. Yeah, Brady got hot for those 2 TD drives, but other than that he wasn't very effective. Who DIDN'T think that Brady would take them down the field on that last drive? Certainly not Belicheck who LET the Giants score to give Brady enough time to do it. He didn't even cross mid field!

You're nuts MikeO. The Giants defense wasn't flawless, but they played well considering the offense they were matched against. And your forgetting the reason that New England only had 9 drives in the game, because their defense couldn't get Giants off the field and were almost doubled in time of possession. It was also the LACK of defense by New England that brought them down.

And JPP had 2 batted down passes, a tackle for a loss and hit the QB once which I think was on the play where the ball was picked off? Yeah, he did NOTHING. Next time try watching the game rather than just the highlights.

If the Giants defense is so poor and the Dolphins defense so good, why did New England score a combined 65 points against Miami in 2 games and only 37 against the Giants in 2 games? And it wasn't because Miami's Offense was so bad, because Miami scored 48 against New England and the Giants only scored 45 against them. How do you explain this MikeO?

Oh yeah, stats don't mean anything when they DON'T support your opinion.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:06:47 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 07:03:48 am »

Brady broke a Super Bowl record vs the Giants Defense....FACT!

If Welker doesn't drop the ball the Pats win and the Giants defense comes up short...FACT!

But if your whole defense on why the Giants are a good defense is that  I didn't watch the game, that's weak bro! Once again you are pointing out a "handful" of good plays and passing it off as them must being a good defense. When you can count the good plays on one hand it proves they aren't a good defense.

Once again, your failure to read is getting you worked up over nothing.  I never said the Dolphins defense was "so good" or "great" as you say. I just said they are better than the Giants and an above average NFL defense which is "GOOD ENOUGH" in this league!! That isn't an insane stance to take!  The Dolphins Defense is GOOD ENOUGH! There is no reason to keep investing in it as it currently stands. Miami can win and win big with this current defense! Teams (like the Giants, Pats, GB...etc) have won big with much lesser defenses! That's the point! The Fins defense isn't the 85' Bears or the 00' Ravens, or the Dungy's Bucs....NOT EVEN CLOSE AND NOBODY IS SAYING SUCH LIKE YOU ARE IMPLYING! In 2012 going forward they are a solid NFL defense, and upper half of the league NFL defense which is all it needs to be in this game these days.

And you want to cherry pick stats. Either the stats count or don't. If they count then the Giants are a bottom 5 defense and the Fins are an above average and the #6 scoring defense in the league. If they count then the Giants ARE the 27th team in total defense. If they don't count then you can make your case  of NE vs Miami for 2 games or NE for 2 games.And why NE for "common opponent" why not use Washington?!  But you can't cherry pick the stats you want to use and ignore the others. Which is what you are doing!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:34:54 am by MikeO » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 07:42:39 am »

If Welker doesn't drop the ball the Pats win and the Giants defense comes up short...FACT!

I didn't realize that was for the game winning touchdown?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 07:48:14 am »

It was the game winning play where if he catches it, they have a 1st down and they can run out the clock!  Roll Eyes

Pats had the lead and Giants only had 1 timeout. GAME OVER if he makes that play. GAME OVER!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:34 am »

It didn't need to be a touch down. If he catches that, that's the end of the game. The refs even said that when Welker dropped it, "Well, that was the game".
el diablo
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:12 am »

Brady broke a Super Bowl record vs the Giants Defense....FACT!

If Welker doesn't drop the ball the Pats win and the Giants defense comes up short.

Brady broke a Super Bowl record and the Pats still only scored 17 points. Fact!
The infamous Welker drop happened on 2nd down. Fact.

The difference between the Giants defense & Miami defense is a pass rush. Solai is about to leave and Jason Taylor retired. That's why you invest in defense. The best way to attack Brady (elite QB in the division) is getting in his face. FACT. You can't sit back and hope you stop him.

The Pats have 2 stellar TE's. That is a match up problem. FACT.

Ignoring the defense will put the Dolphins right back here next year with people saying, "They need more offense."

This a rare opportunity where they can address both sides of the ball. Again, both.

So, in keeping in line with the thread...
Flynn is an option only if he signs for less than $10 million. Personally I would look at a 2nd rd pick to address the QB option.
The problem is with only about $16 million to play with and a top 10 pick, they can't "break the bank" and address other areas.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 10:49:39 am »

Weakest argument ever. IF Miami hadn't lost a game this year, they would have won the Superbowl. IF Matt Moore would have played as well as Drew Brees he would have been MVP. IF MJD sucked he wouldn't have won the rushing title. You can put "if" in front of ANY situation and create whatever outcome you want. That's not realistic. Regarding you having never said the Dolphins defense was great- you said in numerous threads how they were so "dominant" all year. Now they're only "good enough?" Here's an "if" for you- it Miami's defense hadn't coughed up FIVE 4th quarter leads this year, the would have been 11-5, not 6-10. That's not even close to "good enough." -EK
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:28 am »

It was the game winning play where if he catches it, they have a 1st down and they can run out the clock!  Roll Eyes

Pats had the lead and Giants only had 1 timeout. GAME OVER if he makes that play. GAME OVER!

I think it is mathematically impossible to simply run out the clock with over 4 minutes still left on it. They had to get first downs or score still.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:38 am »

Mario Williams? God no. Great player, but NO! Coming off a year where the Packers, Patriots, and Super Bowl Champs the NY Giants all ranked in the bottom 5 in defense and yet all had outstanding seasons where they either were at the top of the NFL all year or won the whole damn thing in the end, why build up a stellar defense? It makes zero sense in this day in age. 

Gotta say, I watched the Superbowl too, and it seemed like Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Jason Pierre-Paul had their moments making Tom Brady look uncomfortable.  Further, every time we beat the Patriots over the years, it seemed like Tom Brady was wearing Jason Taylor for half the game.  No pass rush, no chance.

On the flip side, what's it going to cost to get Mario Williams?  Are we talking $15 M a year?  Is he going to wreck the cap?  If so, Miami's not "one player away" and should keep that money to shore up QB, WR, TE, or RT.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:02 am »

Aha...a Super Bowl debate thread cleverly disguised as a Dolphins free agency thread.

Huh

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 02:49:02 pm »

I would really like to have Mario Williams, but he will probably be too pricey.

I think the cornerback from the Ravens, Webb would be a nice pick up.

I really want a healthy Peyton Manning, otherwise Matt Flynn.  I also wouldn't be upset with Josh Johnson competing with Matt Moore and possibly a second round QB.  Johnson is only 26 and has a ton of athletic ability.
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 04:47:21 pm »

Jermichael Finley, Dashon Goldson, Carl Nicks, Peyton Manning/Matt Flynn

assuming any of that is possible

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »

I would like to see one of three people signed...

1) Peyton Manning
2) Eli Manning's older brother that isn't named Cooper
3) Archie Manning's second son

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:01 pm »

Peyton Manning would be instant relevancy. I don't care if its only for a year or two, but that kind of credibility boost would be awful nice for this franchise right about now.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 05:18:55 pm »

I would like to see one of three people signed...

1) Peyton Manning
2) Eli Manning's older brother that isn't named Cooper
3) Archie Manning's second son

If he can't throw to his left, which the media has intimated to be the case, Miami might as well sign Cooper.

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray