Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:13:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Report: Williams has instituted bounties at multiple stops around the league
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Report: Williams has instituted bounties at multiple stops around the league  (Read 12698 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:58 am »

I recall Belichick getting the absolute max available in spygate (a paltry $250k fine or something).

What kind of world do we live in where we discuss athletes & coaches and call a $250K fine paltry? What sickens me is how many of those guys end up broke anyway.

Back on topic, I thought it was a $500K fine but might be mistaken.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:49:05 am »

What kind of world do we live in where we discuss athletes & coaches and call a $250K fine paltry? What sickens me is how many of those guys end up broke anyway.

BB was fined $250K personally.  The team was fined $500 K.  Total fine was 3/4 of a million. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Landshark
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:45 am »

If he makes $5 million, a $250K fine is most certainly a paltry sum.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:00 am »

^^^ And my point is, what kind of world is that?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:17 am »

I disagree with you on Williams.  I don't think he will see a football field this season, except from a TV at home.
I will say this...

The NFL is taking an awfully long time to make a move on this, and the longer they take, the longer ESPN gets to do what they do when they don't have real news: manufacture the news.  As days and weeks pass, we will inevitably see more stories go from calls for fines, to calls for suspensions, to calls for firing, to calls for lifetime bans.

So I will temper my original statement and say that the longer the NFL drags this out, the more severe the punishments will become for all involved parties (not just Williams).

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 01:09:11 pm »

Today Rex Ryan was asked about the bounty program and said that he offered his players bounties as well being it is one of his favorite candy bars.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 12:47:49 am »

Well, looks like I was completely wrong.  Goodell came down with the hammer of God on the offenders:

- $500k fine for the Saints + two second-round picks confiscated
- GM Mickey Loomis suspended for 8 games
- Head coach Sean Payton suspended for a year
- Assistant coach Joe Vitt suspended for 6 games
- Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams suspended "indefinitely" (but at least a year)

This kind of makes Spygate and Tripgate seem like a slap on the wrist, but whatever.  It's nice to see management being held to a standard close to that of the players, for once.

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 01:25:18 am »

I know they tagged Brees, but how does this effect talks?
el diablo
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 06:27:07 am »

Talk about a Ten Ton Hammer. Wow!

As far as Brees, it depends. Depends on how desperate the Saints are to have a silver lining. And how willing Brees is to lead this train wreck.
Landshark
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 07:58:46 am »

Goodell reached across the country and knocked the Saints squarely on their butts.  They will have to either designate an interim head coach or get rid of Sean Payton. 

As for Brees, it depends on whether or not he wants to be there.  If I'm not mistaken, the cost to acquire a franchised player is two first round picks although the team can negotiate for less.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 08:01:46 am »

What does suspending a GM for 6 games do? Is that just saying he's not going to be paid for 6 weeks?
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 08:39:01 am »

If I'm not mistaken, the cost to acquire a franchised player is two first round picks although the team can negotiate for less.

The Saints slapped Brees with the exclusive franchise tag. As the name implies, no other team can approach him.

The Saints are always free to try and work out a trade, but since Brees hasn't actually signed the tender (and reportedly has no intention of doing so anytime soon), any potential trading partner would almost certainly require Brees to agree to a contract of some sort (meaning a trade wouldn't be feasible without Brees' accept).
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 09:18:34 am »

What does suspending a GM for 6 games do? Is that just saying he's not going to be paid for 6 weeks?

and can't make player moves, be involved with the team etc.

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »

I figured the punishment would be big.....but WOW this was a complete shock. I figured Williams would get a year off but not Payton.....I think Goodell wanted to send a clear message to the league and he did just that.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »

The punishments don't just reflect the bounty program, but the cover up after they got caught the first time and continueing it. 

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray