Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:28:24 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jeff Ireland is not the devil
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jeff Ireland is not the devil  (Read 11861 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:08:18 am »

A good post from Armando this morning

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth

I agree with most of what he said.  Ireland has definitely made some bad moves, and what GM around the league hasn't?  I think the perception around the league is that the Dolphins are a team, you as a player don't want to play for, and you as an agent don't want to deal with the front office.

I think the perception is reality.  It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I believe MIA is not as bad as every talking head from ESPN top NFL Network has them out to be.  Are we worse than WAS, SEA, BUF, CLE, etc?  Hell no.

I think the play on Manning was the only call to get us a brand name at QB to make the transition from mediocre team to playoff contender immediately.  It didn't work out.  He chose another girl for the prom.

As for Flynn, MIA decided not to overpay for a position where they already had someone of his caliber.  Matt Moore is a career backup, but he did a great job last year, considering what he was thrust into.  How many TDs did Marshall drop last year?  I bet it was as many as he caught, maybe more.  Reggie had an excellent season, considering some limitations on the line.

The DEF came into it's own after a rough 4-5 game start.  How many games were they blown out of the water?  The only game where the DEF truly looked crappy & run off the field was the MON game vs the NY Sucks.

I'm waiting for 2012 Draft to see what areas the Phins make pickups to address some areas on the team.  I don't think we're some 12-4 or 11-5 team, but I also don't think we're bottom of the barrel team either.

Let's give Philbin a chance this year, along with some new Coords and see what they can do.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:38 am »

This seems like the John Lennon post that comes every time the majority start bitchin'. "All we are saying is give Peace a chance!!"

Not buying it. Ireland has consistantly alienated people on and off the team outside of making poor choices. Regardless of if Ireland actually hits on a player or two he is more negative than positive for this team.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:02 am »

The only game they looked bad in was the Jets game? Thinking you must have meant the Pats game, but either way a defense that gives up leads in what- 5 or 6 games- didn't improve all that much. They had to be one of the worst fourth quarter D's in football. In December- before they gave up combined 46 4th quarter points to the Bills, Pats, and Jets to close the season, their defense was 8th overall through three quarters, and 23rd in the league in the 4th. You CAN'T win games that way! That's not on Ireland, that's on the talent that is on the field. -EK
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:22:04 am by EKnight » Logged
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:48:49 am »

At least the devil knows what he is doing, knows who he is up against, and has a goal and a strategy.
JVides
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:02 am »

I don't dislike Jeff Ireland.  I think that if someone started telling me a story about his mother's job, and then mentioned she worked for a pimp, I'd be hard pressed not to blurt out something stupid.

I think he did well last year in selecting Mike Pouncey, Daniel Thomas, Charles Clay, and Jimmy Wilson (who had his moments).  The jury's out on Edmond Gates and I don't know who Frank Kearse is.  Out of 6 picks, I'd say 4 were hits (for what they need to do).

If he can continue to do that, he'll be OK.  There are plenty of people in the NFL with less than stellar personalities who are idolized because they do their jobs.  If he drafts well, he'll be fine.  If he doesn't, well...

"under wandering stars I've grown
by myself but not alone
I ask no one"
Metallica, "Wherever I may Roam"
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:25 am »

There are plenty of people in the NFL with less than stellar personalities who are idolized because they do their jobs. 
This might not be true. Actually he is allegedly pretty arrogant as well some other things even in this article. His personality is pretty bad.
I am aware agents talk behind his back (if they do it with me I'm assuming they do it with others) and complain of an arrogance that is baffling and approach that sometimes borders on bullying

I mean seriously ... even peace loving Ricky Williams had negative things to say about him and he never talked bad about anyone.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:11 am »

Calling Ireland "The Devil" is far too generous. The Devil is bigtime, has a plan, and knows how the hell to implement it. Now The Devil probably has minions that attend to his needs, e.g. fetching him a ham & cheese sandwich. Ireland is more like The Devil's minion.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

Calling Ireland "The Devil" is far too generous. The Devil is bigtime, has a plan, and knows how the hell to implement it. Now The Devil probably has minions that attend to his needs, e.g. fetching him a ham & cheese sandwich. Ireland is more like The Devil's minion.

Because we all know how bigtime folks love those ham and cheese sandwiches.  Roll Eyes
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »

I mean seriously ... even peace loving Ricky Williams had negative things to say about him and he never talked bad about anyone.

Exactly

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 05:12:56 pm »

Ireland and his moves arent the problem, but the perception of him by current and former players is a serious problem. Whether its the truth or not means nothing. The perception is he is an ass with no people skills who treats people badly. That will prevent him from being a successful NFL GM.

He might be the best guy in the world, but the perception of him makes it impossible for him to do his job at a high level at this point. And that is a fact
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:28 pm »

^ I agree with this.

I drink your milkshake!
bsfins
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:23:21 pm »

Ireland and his moves arent the problem, but the perception of him by current and former players is a serious problem. Whether its the truth or not means nothing. The perception is he is an ass with no people skills who treats people badly. That will prevent him from being a successful NFL GM.

He might be the best guy in the world, but the perception of him makes it impossible for him to do his job at a high level at this point. And that is a fact

to add to this...

Jason La Canfora talking about Miami,kind of being goated,about Why all the Miami hate...He said along the lines of....A veteran player,well respected player in Miami saying, Don't sign here...

It left me scratching my head...Hmm a veteran well respected player in Miami? Hmm...Dansby? Long? ...Err...Burnett is respected around the league?

Take it for what it's worth...I have no links, it was just live on NFL network...
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:07 pm »

^^ Jason La Canfora talking about Miami,kind of being goated,about Why all the Miami hate...He said along the lines of....A veteran player,well respected player in Miami saying, Don't sign here...

It left me scratching my head...Hmm a veteran well respected player in Miami? Hmm...Dansby? Long? ...Err...Burnett is respected around the league?

Take it for what it's worth...I have no links, it was just live on NFL network...

Probably Bell on his way out the door
tepop84
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:27:58 pm »

His moves are the problems, replacing players with equal quility players that cost a draft pick.  Poor talent evaluation. Like Benny sapp, he has all of a season, then the offseason, has sapp lined up as number 3 corner and after 1 game (after his contract gets guaranteed) decides that sapp isn't good enough to be the dolphins 3 4 or 5 cb, and cuts him. Anyway you cut it, that is a terrible move.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:48:05 pm »

I don't know. Seems to me that most of the people that are saying that are guys that didn't receive a contract from Miami. Could that just be some sour grapes? Maybe. I think there's some truth to this, but I also think any GM who is thought of as a player's best friend is probably not doing his team any favors either. He likes to play hardball and he's rubbed some folks the wrong way. I don't particularly see that as a big problem unless it's preventing you from getting the guys you REALLY want. So the question is was Peyton Manning put off by Ireland or did he just think that Denver was a better fit? That's a question that only Peyton knows the answer to and I doubt you'll ever get a straight answer from him.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray