Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:42:31 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Would you rather overspend on Smith, Flynn or draft pick?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Poll
Question: What should we do or should have done about the QB postiion
Offered Flynn more money?   -3 (20%)
Throw big dollars at Alex Smith?   -0 (0%)
Reach in the draft?   -7 (46.7%)
Continue to hope one falls into our lap?   -5 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Would you rather overspend on Smith, Flynn or draft pick?  (Read 80565 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:37 am »

To get a QB we will have to overspend as most teams do. We could have given Flynn a little more money. We could still throw big dollars at Smith. We could reach in the draft on an even bigger risk or do what we always do and hope one falls into our lap?  We all see where that has gotten us.

So what do you think?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:41:55 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:24 am »

i think signing Garrard took us out of Smith sweepstakes.

Our QB's will be Moore, Garrard and rookie draft pick
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:41:24 am »

Just added a poll ...

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 09:57:02 am »

Personally I hope you do anyone of the top 3.

I think the smart move would to give Matt Moore a year to prove he is or is not a franchise QB. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:00:58 am »

None of the above.

Alex Smith sucks

Matt Flynn = Kevin Kolb

Not ok with reaching in the draft.

My preference is to roll with Moore and re-visit again next year.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:01:27 am »

Personally I hope you do anyone of the top 3.

I think the smart move would to give Matt Moore a year to prove he is or is not a franchise QB. 

Isn't that just hoping one falls into our lap?

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:34:41 am »

Give me reach in the draft. Especially with the new rules, taking a flyer with a first round draft choice is not such a bad idea.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:44 am »

Everyone wants to fire Ireland cause they think he sucks.  If you reach in round 1 or "take a flyer" with 8 overall, he's dead man walking.

You take flyers in round 5-7, not at 8 overall.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:15 am »

Everyone wants to fire Ireland cause they think he sucks.  If you reach in round 1 or "take a flyer" with 8 overall, he's dead man walking.
Not if the flyer is a QB.  Everyone is desperate to sign someone, anyone. If he picks Tannehill in round 1, everyone will forget all about Flynn. Now if Tannehill doesn't fall to #8 he's in trouble, but I still think he will as I don't think Cleveland is gonna pick him at #4, not with the top WR and RB probably still on the board. People always get all excited about QB's in the draft and talking about them coming off the board in the top 10 slots, but I seriously doubt 3 of the top 4 picks are gonna be QB's. It just doesn't happen that way.

My only fear now is that Tannehill will be there at #8 and Miami will pass over him. If that happens then I think Ireland is gone before the next draft. He'll never be able to recover from it (hell he may not recover now even if he picks Tannehill).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:11:05 am by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:40 am »

My biggest fear is he will be there at 8 and we select him. this is a huge reach and since we aren't getting a decent QB prospect, it would be better to get someone servicable and not waste a pick just because. We would have been better to spend money on Flynn which wouldn't have cost us an actual servicable player.  In fact it would have allowed Moore to try and compete so in acutuality you are getting two opportunities listed above.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:26 am »

We have to give Moore another year at this point. Pappy, reaching in the draft is stupid. We all know Tannehill isn't a number 8 talent. Anyone saying he is going in that top order is also saying that he does not belong in that talent group. Taking him would be worse than if we had taken Quinn with our pick. Anyone who can seriously say right now with the benefit of hindsight that we should have done that needs their head examined (and don't give me BS about not using hindsight).

Moore was 6-3. He was not nearly as bad as you guys have been letting on. I agree he is not the guy to lead us to the promised land but we cannot afford to miss out on a first round draft pick right now.

What we should have done, personally I think we could have ponied up a bit more money for Flynn. That is the only reach I would accept.

My vote was based on what we should do at this point though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:23:31 am by Phishfan » Logged
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:25 am »

Anybody second-guessing Miami passing on Ryan Mallett and drafting Thomas instead? -EK
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:20 am »

My biggest fear is he will be there at 8 and we select him. this is a huge reach and since we aren't getting a decent QB prospect, it would be better to get someone servicable and not waste a pick just because.
Who? Assume that Luck, RGIII, and Blackmon are gone at #8. Who do you pick?

Same question Phish.  Who's there at #8 that knocks your socks off?

Yeah I realize that #8 is too high for Tannehill, but I don't really see anybody else that makes sense. I'm going to vomit if they take another offensive lineman in the first round. And I'm not saying start him this year. I'm saying start Moore and have Garrard back him up or vice versa, but pick Tannehill and start grooming him. If in a year you're not convinced he has what it takes then you start this whole process again next year.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:15:43 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:58:45 am »

Anybody second-guessing Miami passing on Ryan Mallett and drafting Thomas instead? -EK
I have been since the draft.  Not that I'm convinced that Mallett is anything special as he's not done anything yet, but Thomas hasn't impressed.

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:52 pm »

I've seen at least a few Mock's having Miami draft Tannehill, with the general comment, "Tannehill is a second-round prospect, but like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder, he has been pushed up into top-10 consideration because of the demand for quarterbacks." -EK
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray