Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:39:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Would you rather overspend on Smith, Flynn or draft pick?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: What should we do or should have done about the QB postiion
Offered Flynn more money?   -3 (20%)
Throw big dollars at Alex Smith?   -0 (0%)
Reach in the draft?   -7 (46.7%)
Continue to hope one falls into our lap?   -5 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Would you rather overspend on Smith, Flynn or draft pick?  (Read 80670 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »

Now David Garrard isn't going to make the first cut? Yet he is competing for the starting QB job. The logic you are using is as confusing as Ireland's.
I would expect that if Miami drafts Tannehill that all 3 will be competing for the starting QB job. If they fail to draft a QB, you can expect another QB to be brought in and they'll probably end up keeping only 2. Which 2 will be the question.

No one is handing David Garrard the starting QB job. Now if he's healthy and is doing the best come the start of the season, he'll stay and could even be the starter, but a lot would have to fall into place for that to happen in my humble opinion. It's just as likely that Garrard's health or skills have deteriorated and he doesn't make the final roster.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:41 am »

Now David Garrard isn't going to make the first cut? Yet he is competing for the starting QB job. The logic you are using is as confusing as Ireland's.

He is competing for the starting job in the same sense every player in camp will be competing for a starting job.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:56 am »

I think he's doing a little more than that considering he's being paid more than Matt Moore. You don't pay him more without the expectation that he will perform. -EK
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 10:51:31 am »

^^The question is not what is your expectation, the question is how does he perform? If he's better than Moore he'll play, if he's not he won't. How is that different from anyone else on the team?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:42 am »

I think he's doing a little more than that considering he's being paid more than Matt Moore. You don't pay him more without the expectation that he will perform. -EK

With the fuzzy math he is paid more than Moore. Moore was already under contract so I expect his signing bonus was already paid. Either way they are not factoring it into his base salary this year which I have heard is either $2.5M or $2.75M. Garrard's base deal is $2.25M. If you add his signing bonus (the fuzzy math since we are considering that for moore who earned it last year) is an additional $1M bringing him to being paid more than moore this season.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 11:37:01 am »

^^Which is why I would expect him to be more than "just another guy competing for a starting job." I mean, does anyone REALLY believe they would bring him in and pay him more than their incumbent? Dubious... -EK
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 11:44:28 am »

OK,once again he isn't being paid more without fuzzy math. Secondly, Moore's deal is the equivalent of a backup deal because that was what he was signed as and Garrard's money is approximately the same. Don't get me wrong, I don't think either is a great QB. But I expect Matt Moore will be the starter on opening day.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:01 am »

Fuzzy math? Bottom line- he's making more next year than Moore is. You can "fuzzy math" that all you want, but if there were no expectations, they would have paid him less, especially with his age and the fact that he didn't play last year due to injuries. If he was coming in to ride the pine, you pay him what an older, removed-from-the-league-for-a-year QB would get- a much smaller salary- especially win the financial straps Miami has. It seems to me that because of his pay, the expectation is that he will have a legitimate chance at starting. -EK
bsfins
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:14 pm »

My honest answer,is I don't know....I want them to pick a horse,stick with that horse,stand behind the horse,and build around him....I feel it needs to a guy,the whole organization is behind.....

This well,the GM likes this guy,the head coach thinks he's ok.The OC can make him work because it's what the head coach,and GM wants,but it's really not his type of Qb.He'll work for now till someone better comes along...Or the Head coach gets fired...

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 02:42:55 pm »

Fuzzy math? Bottom line- he's making more next year than Moore is. You can "fuzzy math" that all you want, but if there were no expectations, they would have paid him less, especially with his age and the fact that he didn't play last year due to injuries. If he was coming in to ride the pine, you pay him what an older, removed-from-the-league-for-a-year QB would get- a much smaller salary- especially win the financial straps Miami has. It seems to me that because of his pay, the expectation is that he will have a legitimate chance at starting. -EK
You really think that's how they figure the depth chart, who makes the most?  Guess they don't need to let us know anymore if that's the case because we could figure it out by just looking at salaries.  Huh

Yes he has a legitimate chance at starting...if he outperforms Moore. That TOTALLY depends on how Moore and Garrard PLAY and has NOTHING to do with how much they are paying either of them. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:45:47 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 02:53:45 pm »

Probably the same reason it's hard for you to comprehend that in a salary called league, no one is going to pay a player that you think isn't going to even make the roster, starter dollars unless they have an expectation of him to start. -EK
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 02:59:09 pm »

Probably the same reason it's hard for you to comprehend that in a salary called league, no one is going to pay a player that you think isn't going to even make the roster, starter dollars unless they have an expectation of him to start. -EK
But that's just it, he DIDN'T get starter dollars. He got a 1 year contract for a couple million. That's BACKUP money. Just because it's more than the money you gave to last year's BACKUP who now happens to be the starter is irrelevant.

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 03:16:05 pm »

Just because you say it's irrelevant doesn't make it so. The fact that Moore was the starter and he is paid more that Moore means he got starter money. Twist that however you want, the math doesn't lie. Who is getting more money? Don't give me "fuzzy math" BS. Simple question- which one, Moore or  Garrard? They wouldn't have paid him more if they had expected- as you do for some reason- that he won't even make the roster. What kind of logic is that? -EK
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:19:13 pm by EKnight » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 03:18:14 pm »

In total money Garrard will make more than Moore will. In terms of whose salary is higher, it is Matt Moore. Garrard does not make starter money, neither is making starter money. To say Garrard was given starter money and handed the job is laughable.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:20:24 pm by Phishfan » Logged
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 03:22:07 pm »

Why would you take off their signing bonus? He got paid that didn't he? They didn't have to give it to him or give him a bonus as high as it was. The fact that the bonus they gave him made his salary higher than Moore's and they had total control over that shows me, even more, that they expect him to make the roster and compete for the starting spot. If he was just a warm body or just there to push Moore, he would have been paid less- likely by a smaller bonus. It's equally laughable that anyone would think Miami would pay a guy who they didn't even believe would make the roster more than their incumbent QB. -EK
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:28:22 pm by EKnight » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray