Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:31:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ross Sends Impassioned Message At League Meetings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ross Sends Impassioned Message At League Meetings  (Read 7260 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »

Lots of nothingness but he did address all reporters and allow them to answer questions.

Speaking for the first time in a public forum since he introduced Joe Philbin as the team’s new head coach in January, Ross reiterated his commitment to General Manager Jeff Ireland and to doing whatever’s necessary to improve the roster. He, Ireland and CEO Mike Dee sat at one end of a long table during a break in the action at the league meetings and fielded questions from the local and national media.

The last time the league meetings were held at The Breakers in Palm Beach back in 2008, Ross received his official approval from the 31 other owners and was allowed into their elite fraternity. He has learned a lot about being an NFL owner since then.

“It’s a real experience,” said Ross, who took over as majority owner after the 2008 season. “I’ve had more owners come up to me and say, ‘Hey, I didn’t know what was going on for four or five years.’ Once you step in there this is a different business. You can succeed in business. It’s a lot easier do that than this is and it’s not easy to do that in these times, as we all know. But it’s difficult to win because you know what players you want, but that doesn’t mean you get them. A lot of things are out of your control, we’re all competitive and I haven’t lost at many things and I’m not planning on losing here.”

It’s precisely that approach that led Ross to pursue Peyton Manning earlier this month in hopes of landing that franchise quarterback. He authorized the large free agent contract signed by inside linebacker Karlos Dansby two years ago and the money paid to nose tackle Paul Soliai last year with the franchise tag.

Ireland has been given carte blanche to spend what he needs in free agency and the draft to bolster the roster and position the Dolphins to make a serious playoff run. The only thing standing in Ross’ way has been the salary cap.

“Let me tell you, money will never be an issue for us becoming a winning football team. That I can tell you right now,” Ross said. “We have to live with the limitations of the salary cap as all teams do and sometimes you lose players. You’ve got to put your money where you really think it’s going to have its biggest impact.

“But I think we have a lot of players expiring and we’ve got to make sure we don’t make stupid mistakes by signing players with big salary bonuses that are really going to impact the cap. One thing I’ve learned is this is one helluva complex business and trying to figure out how you’re going to maneuver things around playing within the system.”

As the 20-minute interview session with the media progressed, Ross became more and more passionate in his answers. He was very cognizant of the criticisms being aimed in Miami’s direction and promised to engage the fans even more going forward to add a sense of transparency to the organization.

Perhaps the most telling moment for Ross came when he was asked about what has been perceived as three strikeouts under his watch in the last year – two involving a head coach and the missed opportunity with Manning. Ross fired back with the kind of answer fans should appreciate.

“You know what? I’ll do it again and again,” he said. “I’m going to be bold and you know what? You don’t lose for trying and if I can find the right guy I’m going to be bold in getting him and I can’t worry about losing, because nothing ventured is nothing gained.”

Ross is intent on taking that same fiery approach to the fan base and does not want to leave them in the dark about anything he and the organization are doing.

“I’d really just like to thank the fans and we’re going to be engaging you a lot more,” he said. “I think you’re going to see a different organization. You saw what we did when we visited the newspapers and we are going to be a lot more responsive and I think you’re going to see that in the future. We’re in a new world today. You can’t have a bunker mentality anymore.”

MORE TOPICS COVERED BY ROSS: There wasn’t a question Ross wouldn’t answer, even if it meant reminding everyone that he is moving forward. To that end, what went into the decision to trade Marshall was something he identified as being in the past. Here’s some of what Ross had no issue addressing:

Ross on how the roster looks now: “We think we have a fine nucleus. We’re excited where we’re going. Rome wasn’t built in a day. From where the team was before me, I think it’s better. You see the nucleus. They continue to fight. I don’t think anyone has ever had a turnaround that part of the season with the start they had (0-7 to finishing 6-10). We know where there are some weaknesses. We’re looking to correct that.”

Ross on his early impressions of Philbin: “He’s much better than I thought. I was excited about him. The energy he has brought, the staff he has assembled, the plan he has – you are going to see a lot more energy from this organization. You are going to like the offense he has. We have the guy who put together the best offense in the NFL. You’re going to see an exciting brand of football.”

Ross on the criticism Ireland has taken: “I think it’s unfair. I don’t like it. I don’t think Jeff likes it. It’s unfair. It’s an unfinished product. If you look at his past, he’s done a great job with the draft. He’s a great talent evaluator, as hard working as anyone as I’ve ever met, as smart as they come on the football side. What are you judging him on? The team is not the same as when we arrived. It’s a lot better. We’re a lot closer. You’ve got to get breaks.”

Ross on his long-term plans at quarterback: “We’re going to keep looking to upgrade that. I’m very excited about Matt Moore. As he got more experience, the team got better. That’s a good place to start. There’s a lot of good personnel on that team.” Ross on whether the Dolphins miscalculated Manning’s interest level: “I met with his father (Archie Manning) earlier in December. We spoke about it. He loves South Florida. He wanted to be in a place where he was most comfortable, and he didn’t know anybody in our house. He wanted to be in a place where he had familiar faces around him. I went after him. If I didn’t go after him, I wouldn’t be interested in wining. I want to win today, not tomorrow.”

Ross on choosing to call two fans: “I’m a passionate fan, as they are. When someone is passionate enough, they’re going to go out and protest. That’s the type of fan I want to talk to. I wanted to talk to someone that passionate.”

Ross on the perception of his team: “You always want to be concerned. You listen to it. That’s why I wanted to engage the fans. That’s why I made the phone calls. I think it’s unfair. Winning resolves all issues. It’s not like we lost anything. We all knew where we were at the end of the season.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Ross-Sends-Impassioned-Message-At-League-Meetings/fd9f2d29-e699-421f-9cae-098170109c57

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:38:53 pm »

Oh I think it's something. I think he has learned a few things. I think he's realized that the whole "Bunker" mentality as he puts it has backfired on him and on Ireland too.  I also think he's learned that WANTING a QB upgrade and GETTING a QB upgrade are 2 COMPLETELY different things. It's fine to say you'd LIKE to get a QB upgrade, it's another to state that you HAVE to get a QB upgrade. One makes it look like you understand your team's needs, the other makes you look desperate.

I like what Ross has done lately. It won't change his image overnight, but he didn't get there overnight either. It's going to take time and a few POSITIVE moves before that happens. Talk is cheap. Bring in a solid draft. Have a solid season. Those things will go a long way to fixing your image.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »

"We have a fine nucleus..Rome wasn't built in a day"

"I want to win today, not tomorrow"

Huh Roll Eyes Huh Huh Roll Eyes

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
el diablo
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »

"I want to win today, not tomorrow."

Really? Wanting and doing are two different things.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:23 pm »

"We think we have a fine nucleus. We’re excited where we’re going. Rome wasn’t built in a day. From where the team was before me, I think it’s better"

LOL, what a load. That's why you tried to get Manning, Flynn, Fisher and whoever else keeps turning you down. But hey, This what we have now is what we wanted all along... ok.

Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:48 am »

"We think we have a fine nucleus. We’re excited where we’re going. Rome wasn’t built in a day. From where the team was before me, I think it’s better"

LOL, what a load. That's why you tried to get Manning, Flynn, Fisher and whoever else keeps turning you down. But hey, This what we have now is what we wanted all along... ok.

LOL, what a load.  You replaced "fine nucleous" with "complete team and no room for improvement". 

We got turned down by a QB that could have chosen from half the teams in the league and a head coach that had plenty of options as well.  Who cares!  It means nothing.  Flynn wanted starter money, not compete for starter money.  The best guy to make that call was our head coach and he didn't think he was worth starter money without more starts.

How about this quote by Ross in regards to his efforts to get Manning and Fisher...

“You know what? I’ll do it again and again,” he said. “I’m going to be bold and you know what? You don’t lose for trying and if I can find the right guy I’m going to be bold in getting him and I can’t worry about losing, because nothing ventured is nothing gained.”

By the way, you should really watch the press conference and see how serious the guy is.  I truly believe he wants to win and realizes you can't get there with gimmicky moves.  We are going to build through the draft, so get used to it.  I for one agree with it but it will take a few years to get things set.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:29 am »

^ sure...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray