Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:55:49 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Can we resign Jake Long?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can we resign Jake Long?  (Read 4704 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »

Unless I am wrong, 2012 will be his last season under contract to us. The team is in shambles obviously and he may want to look elsewhere. So, do we do everything we can to resign one of the best O-Line guys in the league, or do we let him walk and do "Rebuild Part 14"?
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:59 pm »

Unless I am wrong, 2012 will be his last season under contract to us. The team is in shambles obviously and he may want to look elsewhere. So, do we do everything we can to resign one of the best O-Line guys in the league, or do we let him walk and do "Rebuild Part 14"?

Simply not an immediate concern.  But it is a discussion that will happen if we get through midseason and it doesn't happen.

To justify your post a bit, I did think he would be one of the 1st players we would attempt to restructure and extend.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:56:57 pm »

You don't "re-sign" a guy coming off a bad year with injuries. Make him prove he is healthy and his old self. The 1 thing the Fins are doing right is NOT re-working his deal and giving him an extension.

They can always franchise tag him and under the new CBA the tag numbers have gone down a lot.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:19:43 pm »

You don't "re-sign" a guy coming off a bad year with injuries. Make him prove he is healthy and his old self. The 1 thing the Fins are doing right is NOT re-working his deal and giving him an extension.

They can always franchise tag him and under the new CBA the tag numbers have gone down a lot.

His injury wasn't that severe.  We shut him down to prevent bigger issues.  I would agree with your line of thought had it been something with some major rehab and down time.

Plus, you really don't want to franchise a left tackle if you can avoid it.  That costs you big and hits your cap pretty hard.  I would consider an extension sooner than later.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:46 pm »

His injury wasn't that severe.  We shut him down to prevent bigger issues.  I would agree with your line of thought had it been something with some major rehab and down time.

Plus, you really don't want to franchise a left tackle if you can avoid it.  That costs you big and hits your cap pretty hard.  I would consider an extension sooner than later.

which injury? The shoulder? Back? or Knee. He has 3 of them!
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »

I hope he plays lights out to start the season and we can rape some team for some draft picks on a sign and trade.
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:55 pm »

I hope he plays lights out to start the season and we can rape some team for some draft picks on a sign and trade.

He'll be traded to Denver for Tebow and a bundle of 4th round picks tomorrow

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Fins4ever
Uber Member

Dan the Dolphin

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

====================

Mike, that is also my take. IF he stays healthy, he will be asked to take a pay cut. Remember, the Fins were stuck paying #1 overall money. With the new CBA, those days are gone and even though the LT is important, the Fins will be looking for a better value. IMO, paying a guy 12 mil who never touches the ball is not a good idea.

To lack vision is worse than being blind - Helen Keller
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray