Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:26:22 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A new angle on the Marshall trade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: A new angle on the Marshall trade  (Read 9386 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »

And smacking women around in night clubs.

and dropping more TD's than he caught

and the 11 million dollar price tag

Two out of three are relevent.  Lets face -- nobody gives a shit about if the guy is an ahole off the field.  Eleven million dollars to have a guy drop passes is steep even if he has the character of Tim Tebow. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:51:06 pm »

Sorry for the thread hijack, please feel free to split my comments into another thread if you feel it necessary.

I have more respect for players like Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Matt Cassel etc. than players like Randy Moss, Vince Wilfork, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino etc.  Guys that had to fight just to get a shot to be on the field.
I understand where you are coming from, but I think it's a bit misguided as well especially when comparing Brady to Marino. Marino wasn't handed the Miami Dolphins QB job either, he earned it with his play, just like Brady. The only difference between Marino and Tom Brady is that Tom didn't get a chance to showcase his talents in college like Marino did and was therefore drafted in the 5th round. Here's a quick history lesson on Dan Marino.

Marino had success at QB at every level of Football until his senior season at Pitt where he struggled. He was drafted late in the first round because of that poor showing. When he was drafted, Miami was coming off a superbowl visit. David Woodley was a young QB with a lot of mobility and was backed up by veteran Don Strock. Marino was not expected to crack the starting lineup in his first year as it was assumed that his poor senior season in college indicated that he'd need time to adjust to the NFL. Shula frowned upon putting rookie players on the field and doubly so when it came to the QB position, however once Marino got to Miami, he immediately noticed the difference between Marino and Woodley. Just watching the 2 throw the football around it was obvious that he had skills that Woodley did not possess, but still he decided Marino needed more time on the bench before he would be ready to play. After 3 games of watching Woodley and the offense struggle however he decided to put Marino in late in a game against Oakland. Marino rallied the team to 2 late TD's and posted a 117.3 QB rating. Shula went back to Woodley however to start the next 2 games where Woodley continued to struggle, so Shula gave Marino another chance in a game against New Orleans where Woodley was 4 of 12 for 34 yards and a pick and 7.6 QB rating. Marino went 12 of 22 for 150 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT in relief and Shula decided to give Marino his first start in the next game. Woodley never again played for Miami.

So no one knew that Marino would become a superstar either. He certainly had shown enough in college to think he might be decent in the pro's, but he was the 6th QB taken in the draft in '83 which just happened to have a lot of 1st round talent at QB that year so a lot of teams passed over him too. Not as many as passed over Brady, but he still had a bit of a chip on his shoulder too when he came to Miami. He was not handed the job, he straight up outplayed the starter and made the most of his chances when he was given the chance to play. I completely understand your position on Tom Brady, it's only natural that you would put him on a pedestal, but I think you need to cut Marino a little slack. You've made several remarks about Marino in the past that I've shown to be less than factual. I don't expect you to think as much of Marino as I do for example, but I think you should show a little more respect to him especially given the circumstances that you're posting on a Dolphins website, who happen to be division rivals with your Patriots. I wouldn't dream of going on a Patriots website and slighting Tom Brady, I think it's a bit underhanded for you to do it here.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:27:40 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »

Speaking of factually inaccuracies, Brady was drafted in the supplemental portion at the end of the 6th round, not the 5th round.

Many teams passed on Randy Moss another player in that list with Marino.  Marino was drafted to replace Woodley, it was going to happen.  The only real question was would it be week 1 of '83, week 1 of '84, or sometime in between.  It happened in between.  This is no disrespect on what he accomplished once he became the starter.

But I don't get that excited about guys like Marino (or for that matter Wilfork or Devin McCourty, or Nate Solder) as I do for guys like Brady, Cassel, Danny Woodhead, Greg Camarillo etc having success. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:48 pm »

Speaking of factually inaccuracies, Brady was drafted in the supplemental portion at the end of the 6th round, not the 5th round.
Sorry, my bad. I don't profess to know a whole lot about Brady. I wish you would admit that you don't know a whole lot about Marino.

But I don't get that excited about guys like Marino (or for that matter Wilfork or Devin McCourty, or Nate Solder) as I do for guys like Brady, Cassel, Danny Woodhead, Greg Camarillo etc having success.
Fair enough, I have a certain sense of pride when it comes to guys like Bernie Parmalee myself, but I don't have to disparage the likes of Marino to make that point. Just because Marino had success in college, doesn't somehow undermine what he was able to accomplish in the pro's.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:39:51 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 03:42:54 pm »

, but I don't have to disparage the likes of Marino to make that point.

I really can't fathom what in my post you considered disparaging to Marino (or for that matter Wilfork, Peyton and Moss)

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:31 pm »

I really can't fathom what in my post you considered disparaging to Marino (or for that matter Wilfork, Peyton and Moss)
It wasn't just this post, it's past posts as well. You've made it quite clear that you're not that impressed with Marino or what he accomplished and that you are with Brady. We get it. You can stop doing that now.

This has nothing to do with Wilfork, Peyton or Moss, it has to do with Marino and your lack of respect for him on these forums. I wouldn't mention it if it wasn't a Miami Dolphins website. Some of us here rather appreciate what Marino did for this franchise and I for one would prefer that you don't use him to make a point especially when it comes to Tom Brady. It's not respectful and like I said, a little underhanded. You don't have to agree with me to respect my wishes. There's plenty of other NFL players you can use to make your point and probably would work to underline your point better than Marino anyway.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:17:34 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »

Hoodie, when you speak of The Marino, you had better use a more respectful tone.

Only Dolphin fans may disparage Dolphin players on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray