Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Trayvon Martin case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46 Print
Poll
Question: Do you think Zimmerman is
Guilty   -5 (25%)
Not Guilty   -2 (10%)
Self Defense   -1 (5%)
You don't know enough to decide   -12 (60%)
Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Trayvon Martin case  (Read 148853 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:18 pm »

Sanford's fine. It's everyone else who is out of control. I ate lunch today, as I do every wednesday at the local "chicken place". As you can imagine ... lot's of black and white in there. It's as blue collar a place as you can get ... I would imagine. Lot's of school board, police, fire, county and city workers and we all sit around yakking with each other.

Anyway the general sentiment is everyone in town is over it. Most of the protests you see or have seen has been conducted by outside people. There is even a movement to have the police chief reinstated by current police, fire, government officials and citizens.

I swear what i see on tv and wht i see every day is world's apart. i mean if youask me or you ask the CNN people who have been camped out doing absolutely nothing for weeks I'm sure you will get two different stories but honestly, it hasn't changed.

Aside from a kid dying which is horrible, the city, county and other local municipalities are suffering pretty badly. There is already talk of cutting people next year as they are way over budget dealing with this mess and everyone knows they were alreadyin bad shape.

please excuse my typos. this pc has issues.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:58:30 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2012, 05:54:58 pm »

On the eve of his facing charges, this is a strange story of events from his former attorneys.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303815404577336143953995600.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_5

I think Zimmerman is having a nervous breakdown ... but who wouldn't under these circumstances? The thing I have to ask is why these guys felt they were his attorney? I mean ... they never even met the guy.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:41 pm »

Looks like they are going to charge Zimmerman. Too bad he will not get a fair trial..

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »

It looks like the Stand Your Ground law may not apply.  If that's the case, Zimmerman is in for a rough time.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/ken-blackwell/truth-about-stand-your-ground-laws-and-why-they-dont-apply-trayvon-martin-case

"Under any version of the facts, Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law did not apply in the Trayvon Martin incident. If Zimmerman pursued a confrontation with Martin, then Zimmerman was an attacker and cannot claim SYG. If Zimmerman’s account is true that he was on the ground and Martin was on top of him, then retreat was impossible, so there would be no duty to retreat anyway. A victim in such a situation can use deadly force, but only if he reasonably believes he is being attacked with deadly force.

To our knowledge, that is the law in all fifty states. It was the law before SYG statutes were ever passed, and SYG did nothing to change it."

If this is true, this case would be handled just as it would be in any other state without a similar SYG law.

Landshark
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2012, 10:48:07 pm »

According to the prosecutor, the Stand Your Ground law may be a tough defense to counter.  He is being charged with second degree murder, which means the state will have to prove malicious intent. 

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:50:27 pm by Landshark » Logged
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #230 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:10 am »

Regardless of any our opinions:  if this case didn't make it to trial, at least, the entire state of Florida would burn to the ground.

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2012, 02:01:09 am »

Looks like they are going to charge Zimmerman. Too bad he will not get a fair trial..

Really? Where is your proof? It sounds as if this prosecutor actually reviewed all the evidence, too include stuff the public has not seen like the autopsy and ballistics reports before she made her decision.
This is the type of case that makes or breaks careers, and I doubt she is going to rush in and go for charges she has no chance of proving.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:46 am »

I would just like to mention that after all has been said so far, this is really what I was looking for: a trial.  I'm not hunting for a particular verdict.

If it turns out that Zimmerman's account was accurate and he is found not guilty by a jury of his peers, then so be it.  Contrary to how it may seem, I never wanted him to be convicted of a crime based solely on the circumstantial evidence I cited... I simply felt that said evidence put his statements in enough question to warrant an indictment, particularly given the seriousness of the (potential) crime.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:44 am »

Really? Where is your proof? It sounds as if this prosecutor actually reviewed all the evidence, too include stuff the public has not seen like the autopsy and ballistics reports before she made her decision.
This is the type of case that makes or breaks careers, and I doubt she is going to rush in and go for charges she has no chance of proving.
I think I mentioned already but if not... I know a guy who works for the child protection agency in Jax who has intimate knowledge of her and he said day one that she would prosecute. She has a history of taking things to trial that others would not and was a big reason for her selection. She may have enough evidence but historically just because she gets them in court doesn't mean she wins them.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2012, 10:25:00 am »

It looks like the Stand Your Ground law may not apply.  If that's the case, Zimmerman is in for a rough time.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/ken-blackwell/truth-about-stand-your-ground-laws-and-why-they-dont-apply-trayvon-martin-case

"Under any version of the facts, Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law did not apply in the Trayvon Martin incident. If Zimmerman pursued a confrontation with Martin, then Zimmerman was an attacker and cannot claim SYG. If Zimmerman’s account is true that he was on the ground and Martin was on top of him, then retreat was impossible, so there would be no duty to retreat anyway. A victim in such a situation can use deadly force, but only if he reasonably believes he is being attacked with deadly force.

To our knowledge, that is the law in all fifty states. It was the law before SYG statutes were ever passed, and SYG did nothing to change it."

If this is true, this case would be handled just as it would be in any other state without a similar SYG law.

I think it really depends on the judge in the case. There are instances where the shooter has "pursued" the victim and stand your ground has been upheld. Charles Podany witnessed a speeder in his neighborhood. He grabbed a gun and jumped on his bike to get the license plate number. The passenger confronted him and a fight ensued where Podany drew his gun and killed his attacker. The judge at the pre-trial hearing granted immunity under the law.

This law has been pretty unevenly enforced throughout the state. It will be very curious to see what the courtroom evidence is and how the decision is rendered.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:25 am »

I would just like to mention that after all has been said so far, this is really what I was looking for: a trial.  I'm not hunting for a particular verdict.

I agree, and I'm glad to hear you say that.

I would go one further and even be OK with a judge throwing the case out, if the evidence allowed for such a decision.  Trayvon (and the community) deserved the proper legal channels for this case to play out and up until yesterday, it hadn't.

I think that it's not Zimmerman's fault what the law is.  He should not be held accountable for bad legislation.

Instead, we should learn from it and adjust the legislation.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »

I would go one further and even be OK with a judge throwing the case out, if the evidence allowed for such a decision...

If that happened, I'd drop a dollar on a prop bet that says Zimmerman gets shot by someone looking for "justice" that they didn't feel was achieved with the case being thrown out.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »

If that happened, I'd drop a dollar on a prop bet that says Zimmerman gets shot by someone looking for "justice" that they didn't feel was achieved with the case being thrown out.

This is said with every big court case, but Casey Anthony and OJ are still walking around.

I drink your milkshake!
Landshark
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49:57 pm »

I'll bet there are some people looking to do that already, which is why his lawyers were saying they had lost contact with him and the prosecutor is saying that he is somewhere in Florida in police custody.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »

The hate for Zimmerman is nowhere near where it was for someone like Casey Anthony.  I think that people are more mad at the police department, the law, etc -- rather than the actual man.  I think that some people are even sympathetic towards Zimmerman.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray