Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:16:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Trayvon Martin case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46 Print
Poll
Question: Do you think Zimmerman is
Guilty   -5 (25%)
Not Guilty   -2 (10%)
Self Defense   -1 (5%)
You don't know enough to decide   -12 (60%)
Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Trayvon Martin case  (Read 148961 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #525 on: June 19, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »

I watched the bond hearing. George Zimmerman was not asked about finances, so he cannot lie about finances. He made no statement at all in regards to finances. The only time George was on the stand during the bond hearing was to provide a brief statement to the family which the prosecution then followed up on (but they could not get to where they wanted to go because it did not line up with the original questioning acccording to the judge).
Then that explains why he has not been charged with perjury.

But that still does nothing to explain why he conspired with his wife to hide the true nature of their finances from the authorities, particularly when their finances are a matter that is relevant to the court proceedings.  No one is saying that George is going to be charged with perjury; we are saying that his effort to conspire with his wife to hide this information from the authorities is damaging to his credibility.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #526 on: June 19, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

I never denied that it creates issues. I'm saying he did not take the stand a lie as was insinuated.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #527 on: June 19, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »

Actually, his wife lied. You are misrepresenting what happened.

He conspired with his wife to hide a large sum of money prior to his bail hearing.
He conspired with his wife to lie. I am not misrepresenting anything. If he never lied or did not try and cover up the money he would be fine.
His own attorney admitted this hurts his credibility and makes it harder for a jury to trust him and his word.
I never said he took the stand and lied. But he and his family presented themselves to the court as being broke. He actively coached his wife on how to change passwords, amounts to move, number of transactions a day, etc.
This is hardly the actions of a person who made an "honest mistake".
He did not even tell the court he had a second passport and gave it to his attorney later.
This guy is a liar and conspires with others to lie to the court. He has no credibility period.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #528 on: June 19, 2012, 07:29:49 pm »

Fact, he never made any statements regarding money during his bail hearing. Therefore he could not lie about money.

Listen, you can call him a cheat and say that he has credibility issues but the term liar is inaccurate because he never said anything.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #529 on: June 19, 2012, 07:48:49 pm »

Phishfan, have you ever heard of the term "lie of omission"?

You keep bringing up what George said "on the stand" but no one is accusing him of perjury; what he said on the stand is not precisely at issue.  He conspired to deceive the court as to the state of his finances.  If "liar" isn't the correct term, what is?  Cheat?  Fraud?  Con man?

Is there really a meaningful distinction to be made between any of those in the context of impact on the case?  Do you think the jury will say, "Oh, well since he isn't technically a liar, but actually a fraud, I guess no harm, no foul?"  What is the actual point you are making?

Once more for emphasis: no one is accusing him of perjury.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:50:23 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #530 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:10 pm »

I think my point is straight forward. I said he can be called a cheat. He did not tell any lies though. No need to continue going around on this anymore.
Landshark
« Reply #531 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:11 am »

Turns out they didn't accept the resignation of the police chief, but now they've fired him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/bill-lee-sanford-police-c_n_1614018.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D171708
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #532 on: June 21, 2012, 02:32:34 pm »

And the witch hunt continues, so sad. How can they not accept a resignation but still fire someone. That shit seems kinda shady, but then again this whole thing seems kinda fucked up. On another note, this whole bail situation seems moot to me. I could be wrong, but in my opinion bail should be based on flight risk. Zimmerman had GPS monitoring and had to inform law enforcement as to his location. He was not a flight risk. What does his finances have to do with any of it ? Two people in the exact same situation, one with $100 in the bank and one with $100,000 in the bank should have the exact same bail. Either you can pay your bail or you can't............

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #533 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:17 pm »

And the witch hunt continues, so sad. How can they not accept a resignation but still fire someone. That shit seems kinda shady, 

It was the city council who refused the resignation but it was the city manager who fired him. Two different entities.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #534 on: June 21, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »

And the witch hunt continues, so sad. How can they not accept a resignation but still fire someone.
The pension and benefits you receive for resignation are not the same as when you are fired.

On another note, this whole bail situation seems moot to me. I could be wrong, but in my opinion bail should be based on flight risk. Zimmerman had GPS monitoring and had to inform law enforcement as to his location. He was not a flight risk. What does his finances have to do with any of it ? Two people in the exact same situation, one with $100 in the bank and one with $100,000 in the bank should have the exact same bail.
Fortunately, that's not the way the law works.  We don't have a fixed-bail system, because that would result in either a bail that's so expensive that lower-income people are forced to stay in jail, or a bail that's cheap enough for upper-income people to completely ignore as a deterrent to flight.

badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #535 on: June 21, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »

The pension and benefits you receive for resignation are not the same as when you are fired.

So they basically tried to steal his pension and benefits as far as I can tell. Turn in your 2 weeks notice and then stop coming to work when the 2 weeks is up is what he should have done. What kind of crooked job won't let you resign. He needs to sue their ass ASAP !!!!

Fortunately, that's not the way the law works.  We don't have a fixed-bail system, because that would result in either a bail that's so expensive that lower-income people are forced to stay in jail, or a bail that's cheap enough for upper-income people to completely ignore as a deterrent to flight.

No that's very unfortunate. People are being penalized for being more successful financially ? In general, in life people that make more money can have things that less prosperous people can't have. Zimmerman was not upper class and was not a flight risk, I'm sure he was highly monitored. The donations he was given will be eaten up quickly by legal fees, living expenses, and security. It's not like he would have had any income while on bail anyhow. So lets just say for a minute that Zimmerman didn't receive any donations. But after his bail was set, I went and gave him the money to pay his bail. No one could say anything then, so what's the difference ?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #536 on: June 21, 2012, 03:52:58 pm »

It is not meant as a form of punishment and that is why you get it back. Bail is set to keep people from fleeing. He wasn't a flight risk and in fact is under 24 hour surveillance. He should have never been brought back to jail. The bail thing is actually just seems to be something to appease the public in many people’s opinion.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #537 on: June 21, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »

The bail thing is actually just seems to be something to appease the public in many people’s opinion.

Most of this whole clusterfuck seems to be to appease certain people opinions. Not like it affects me that much, but hopefully he will be acquitted and then this whole show will be worth its weight in gold for the entertainment value. I'll laugh my ass off at the three ring circus that follows, should be a hoot.

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #538 on: June 21, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

Badger- you really don't understand that people with more money are inherantly a greater flight risk because of their wealth and the things they have access to than poorer people? Were you being facetious or serious? For example, if one guy has a private jet, and another guy has an '87 Chevy Nova- you really believe the flight risk is the same?? -EK
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #539 on: June 21, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »

Badger- you really don't understand that people with more money are inherantly a greater flight risk because of their wealth and the things they have access to than poorer people? Were you being facetious or serious? For example, if one guy has a private jet, and another guy has an '87 Chevy Nova- you really believe the flight risk is the same?? -EK

I reckon Zimmerman has closer to an '87 Chevy Nova than a private jet. I'm sure that we can agree with that, can't we ? I should know, after all my first car was a light blue '87 Chevy Nova, otherwise known as a 75 HP Toyota Corolla, lol.....
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray