Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:41:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tannehill's pro day.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tannehill's pro day.  (Read 9287 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: March 29, 2012, 01:22:50 pm »

If we don't take him at 8, he'll still go within the first 15. It's possible he's gone at #8.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/03/tannehill-pro-day-under-way-dolphins-in-the-house.html?cid=6a00d83451b26169e20168e965026b970c

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »

that would be the ultimate reach.  Like Ted Ginn level of reach.
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:58:28 pm »

^^^ Agreed
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »

I'll third that.  Let another team reach for the guy.  With the pieces on this team, the Dolphins might be able to Lose for Landry or Bite for Barkley.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »

I'll third that.  Let another team reach for the guy.  With the pieces on this team, the Dolphins might be able to Lose for Landry or Bite for Barkley.
Why can't they do both? I like the odds of picking 2 potential franchise QB's over the odds of picking just one.

suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »

Now you're getting greedy. LOL

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:53 pm »

More than greedy, it is fantasylike. Rememebr what laughing stocks the Lions were fro drafting 1st round WRs three years in a row. Just think about the backlash of drafting continuous QBs while not addressing other needs. Throw into the mix that one of them is expected to need to sit a year before putting him on the field.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:30:35 pm »

More than greedy, it is fantasylike. Rememebr what laughing stocks the Lions were fro drafting 1st round WRs three years in a row. Just think about the backlash of drafting continuous QBs while not addressing other needs. Throw into the mix that one of them is expected to need to sit a year before putting him on the field.
Who said they wouldn't address other needs though? Miami has 5 picks in the first 105 picks in the upcoming draft. The draft is deep at WR and DE. You could double down on both of those positions and still take Tannehill in the first round or you could spread the love around and still manage to get players for 4 positions PLUS a QB with a reasonable expectation of some of them playing. It isn't exactly a novel idea to pick up a QB in the middle of the first round and not expect to start him that year and if he doesn't pan out pick another one. That used to be done quite a bit, only recently has there been so much emphasis put on playing a QB in his first year and pretty much making him a franchise QB or bust.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:45:38 pm »

I don't see him being there at #8 anymore. Even if Cleveland passes, Jax can trade down and still get a WR or DE (they have the same needs as us). I could see a team jumping Miami to get him. (ie Buffalo or even Seattle still, teams that can afford to let him sit while others play, Flynn's deal really is only a 2 year deal, not much lost if he sucks)

If Miami falls in love with him, they are risking a lot by standing pat and hoping he falls to them. If they flat out don't care (which we have seen Ireland NOT care about QB's since he has came here, he treats it as "just another position") then might as well not draft a QB and wait till next year.

Taking a Weeden or Osweiler because they are taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB even though they don't have a lot of confidence in him is stupid. Might as well take another WR or DE who can play right away instead of a QB who you don't think can "solve the issue" some day.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:47:13 pm by MikeO » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:10:38 pm »

I don't see him being there at #8 anymore. Even if Cleveland passes
I think Cleveland taking Tanehill is a smoke screen. They had reps at the Tannehill pro day, but it wasn't their big guns, they were at Trent Richardson's pro day. I think what they would really like is for someone to offer up something crazy to move up to the 4th pick and I think that's why they are dangling the thought that they are taking Tannehill out there to the likes of Miami. There's too much value on the board at #4 for them to take Tannehill. Miami should NOT trade up with Cleveland to get him. I'm NOT on board with that.

Jax can trade down and still get a WR or DE (they have the same needs as us). I could see a team jumping Miami to get him. (ie Buffalo or even Seattle still, teams that can afford to let him sit while others play, Flynn's deal really is only a 2 year deal, not much lost if he sucks)
This is more likely, but the problem with trades is that you have to have a trading partner. Just because you want to move down a couple places, doesn't mean someone is willing to move up a couple or vice versa.

If Miami falls in love with him, they are risking a lot by standing pat and hoping he falls to them.
But I don't think they are in love with him. I think they believe he would offer a lot of value at #8, but I don't think they believe they should give away anything to try to move up to get him. If you're going to move up, you want to get the top guy at his position like maybe they would go after Blackmon if they moved up. They won't move up for Tannehill.

If they flat out don't care (which we have seen Ireland NOT care about QB's since he has came here, he treats it as "just another position") then might as well not draft a QB and wait till next year.
It's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of being smart about it. Wait to see what happens. Let the others do somethign stupid like Washington did to move up to #2. If someone takes Tannehill before you pick, then take the best available player and look to address the QB slot later in the draft.

Taking a Weeden or Osweiler because they are taking a QB for the sake of taking a QB even though they don't have a lot of confidence in him is stupid.
I agree, but on the other hand if Tannehill is gone at #8 and you think that Weeden or Osweiler might be there in the 2nd round and you think they are only a bit behind Tannehill, then take a WR or DE or whatever and maybe look at some of these guys in the 2nd round or perhaps even later. Perhaps one of them falls to the 3rd round, package a couple of 3rds to move up and get him for a steal in the 3rd round. That makes some sense too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:12:56 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:13:14 pm »

Cleveland is bringing Tannehill into Ohio for a visit. They announced that yesterday

If you don't think Weeden or Osweiler can be a starter and a guy to lead you to the promise land then taking them period is silly. Especially in Rounds 2 or 3. I have no problem taking flyers on Qb's late, but in round  2 or 3....if you don't believe its a foolish pick.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:14:58 pm by MikeO » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray