Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:09:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  So you say you don't want Tannehill at #8. Who DO you want?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: So you say you don't want Tannehill at #8. Who DO you want?  (Read 8532 times)
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »

I think his dad is military. He's had a few minor missteps; showboating, throw me the damn ball, dui after driving down to a Cowgirls game and visiting with Dez. Nothing too major.

On the field there isn't too much to complain about.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 03:52:07 pm »

I've heard the "upgrade for anyone under center" statement before, though.  Namely with Brandon Marshall.  How would this be different?  Is it the speed?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 04:10:53 pm »

^^^ The speed...a little.  The hands...a lot. The guy could catch a typo in a Chinese tax manual.

I don't believe Blackmon will be available at #8, but if he is, I'd have no problem at all with Miami snagging him. I think he has the upside to become a Larry Fitzgerald-caliber WR, and this team could use a playmaker of that level.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »

The speed. The "less of a head," thing, fewer drops. Insofar as Brandon Marshall went, he WAS an upgrade over anyone Miami had at receiver before or since. There's a ton of fans who are going to be scratching their heads trying to figure out how to replace an avg. of 83 catches and 1100 yards a season with Miami. I get that he didn't score frequently- but none of the receivers did. As long as Miami has a QB issue, they won't succeed- I get that, but the glaring hole at WR without Marshall is going to be evident if someone great- not good, but Pro Bowl quality- can't be picked up. -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:19 pm »

Someone please sell me on Blackmon? 

Is he available at 8?  Does he make an immediate impact?

Give me a hard sell.

Can't give you the "hard sell" because I am not a total believer. He is the best WR in this draft. Although I believe it was Mayock who  just put Floyd ahead of him after Floyd's pro day. Regardless, the vast majority of "experts" have him #1.

He isn't Dez Bryant who everyone compares him to. He isn't Calvin Johnson (the 2 most recent elite WR's to come out of college.) He is a step below both. Now, he would be the best WR on Miami's roster if they got him, but the odds of him slipping past Cleveland, St.Louis, and Jax is very slim. All 3 are in the market for a #1 WR and all 3 pick before Miami. Can't see it happening.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 05:28:06 pm »

^^ most of the experts actually say he's a better route runner and safer pick than Dez. Clearly, Blackmon's no CJ, but everything I'm reading says he's better than Bryant at that stage. From Warren Moon: ""He's a beast, isn't he?" Moon said. "He's like Dez Bryant with all of his brain cells. He's a guy that has all those skills that Dez Bryant has, but he's not the knucklehead that Dez Bryant has turned out to be with Dallas. And a much better route runner than Dez Bryant is." Comparing their last years at OSU, Bryant's best year at Oklahoma State saw him catch 87 balls for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns as a sophomore. Blackmon caught 111 receptions for 1782 yards and 20 touchdowns as a sophomore. He then came back and caught 121 balls for 1,522 yards and 18 touchdowns as a junior. -EK
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:07:29 pm by EKnight » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

A little more for ya Maine...

Mike Mayock's drawbacks on Blackmon

WEAKNESSES Blackmon is not as quick off the ball as his athleticism would suggest. He has good top-end speed and acceleration in the open field, but struggles to get enough burst to separate in short areas. An elongated stride makes it difficult for him to run sharp routes. Much of his production came from making plays at the point of the catch and after; he doesn't get himself open through route-running. He is an all-or-nothing blocker who can't recover after whiffing, and will have to improve in that area. His stride hampers his ability to change direction and could be his biggest problem in the NFL, where he'll be covered by premier athletes.

He compares Blackmon to Anquan Boldin

Blackmon has a good frame and seems taller than he is. He is barely six-feet tall, but his elite leaping ability makes him a jump-ball, red-zone threat. He can excel from any spot on the field, and is reminiscent of Anquan Boldin when running "drive" and "underneath" routes.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 11:05:02 am »

Mayock is killing Coples these days, HE isn't even sure if he is a 2nd round player...

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples - who has visited the Dolphins and remains in the mix at No. 8 - "would win the bathing suit competition" but should not be a first-round pick because of questionable effort. In fact, Mayock said he's not even sure he would take him in the second round.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:14 am »

Thanks, guys.  I really should pay better attention to college ball.  I'm not a complete idiot with all the names, but I don't know the nitty gritty like some of you do.  We have a lot of really good knowledge on these boards with the college players, drafts.  Makes for good conversation.

My .2 on drafting a WR at #8:  Unless he has Calvin Johnson potential, I would pass.  Too many holes in other areas to address.  I would not stretch for a WR at 8.  I've seen that movie too many times, I know the outcome.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »

Latest update on what Miami would need to do to get Tannehill is move up to #3 by trading with Minnesota. ESPN's "draft value" chart sets up the following: Minnesota’s No. 3 overall pick is worth 2,200 points. Miami’s No. 8 pick is worth 1,400 points. Therefore, the Dolphins have 800 points to make up with their remaining draft picks.

Miami’s second-round pick (No. 42 overall) is worth just 480 points. Miami also has two third-round picks (No. 71 and No. 72) that are worth 235 and 230 points. Therefore, the Dolphins most likely would have to give up their first-, second-, one third-round pick and an additional late-round pick to make the trade. That is swapping four picks in this draft for one.

With SO many holes to fill, I just don't see this happening. The more I read about Tannehill as a whole, the more soured I get on him. He makes horrible decisions- far worse than what Moore does. Last year, he had 15 interceptions against The Big 12. By comparison, Robert Griffin III had 14 picks in the last two seasons combined.

In the final 19 minutes of the Oklahoma State game he had three interceptions alone, and A&M blew a 17-point lead to lose. The next week, he fell apart in the second half as A&M below an 18-point lead to Arkansas.

And in the losses to Oklahoma and Texas later in the season, Tannehill threw a combined six interceptions. Aside from one against OU that was tipped at the line, he showed a combination of locking in on one receiver, not reading the defense correctly, not being on the same page with his wide out and throwing into tight coverage or double teams – or all of the above.

Overall, A&M blew significant leads to OSU, Ark, KSU, Texas and Missouri. In those 5 games Tannehill directed their offense to a combined 1st half lead of 113-58. In the second half, Tannehill managed a stumbling offense to 60 points while their opponents were scoring 132 points. When a great first half offense turns to junk in the second half, that's a QB issue. How many games did Miami lose in the second half last year? I see no need to compound this problem by adding a QB with a penchant to do just that.

Despite what Mike Mayock has said, I think Coples will be the most talented player still on the board at #8, and with Wake holding out, I have no problem drafting a 6'6" 285 DE. For every Mike Mayock, there's another writer who thinks he's a good gamble because of his size, speed, and ability to play multiple positions on the D line. -EK
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 05:00:01 pm »

Latest update on what Miami would need to do to get Tannehill is move up to #3 by trading with Minnesota.
Miami's not moving up. Either Tannehill is there at #8 or they take someone else, end of discussion. All the talk that Miami needs to move up to #3 to get Tannehill is pure BS being put forth by guys that either don't have a stake in the draft or is coming from other teams hoping that Ireland is stupid enough to listen to all the BS and will actually give up 4 picks to do it.

Hell it was just last week that they had Philly giving up their 1st and 2 2nd's to move from 15 to 4 to take Tannehill. Why the hell would Miami trade up to #3 with 4 picks when they can easily move up to #4 with 3? Next week Miami will be trading up to #2 to get Tannehill. It's all BS.

I'll be shocked if Tannehill is not there at #8. In fact I would be more shocked if Tannehill is not there at #8 then I would be that Tannehill is there at #8 and Miami doesn't take him.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:11:25 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:42 pm »

All the talk that Miami needs to move up to #3 to get Tannehill is pure BS being put forth by guys that either don't have a stake in the draft or is coming from other teams hoping that Ireland is stupid enough to listen to all the BS and will actually give up 4 picks to do it.

^THIS

This is all talk from the talking heads at ESPN TV shows to the blowhards online.  Tannehill is NOT, I repeat NOT, a good investment at this point in the draft.  you get him later in the 2nd round, great, but in the top-10?  you got to be shittin me.  I believe if Blackmon is available at #8, you take him.

I still believe they should trade up and get Blackmon and take Kirk Cousins later on.  I believe he's got more upside than Tannehill.  Never have I seen a QB go from non-existent at the beginning of the college season, to top-5 pick in the draft.  Like someone said earlier, he threw 18ints against Big-12 DEF this year.  Big-12 DEF are some of the worst in the nation.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 06:23:56 pm »

At most Miami moves up to 6 or 7 to get Tannehill which would only cost them their 2nd or one of their 3rd's, not an outrageous price to pay to get your future franchise QB. I don't see them going to 3.

I still think Weeden is in play for Miami. I could see them going DE in Rd 1 and packaging their 2nd rounder a 3rd rounder and a 2nd next year (or something along those lines) to get into the bottom of Rd 1 or top part of Round 2 and grab Weeden.

Miami has a history of drafting guys they don't bring in for visits. And there was a report today that Miami is talking up Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler around the league. And out of those 3 they haven't brought Weeden in for a visit or spent any 1-on-1 time with him, the other 2 Miami has spent a lot of time with.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

This is all talk from the talking heads at ESPN TV shows to the blowhards online.  Tannehill is NOT, I repeat NOT, a good investment at this point in the draft.  you get him later in the 2nd round, great, but in the top-10?  you got to be shittin me. 
Tannehill is a Top 10 talent in this draft. He is a top half of the 1st round player. Late 2nd that's just not even realistic or worth addressing.

I still believe they should trade up and get Blackmon and take Kirk Cousins later on.  I believe he's got more upside than Tannehill.  Never have I seen a QB go from non-existent at the beginning of the college season, to top-5 pick in the draft.  Like someone said earlier, he threw 18ints against Big-12 DEF this year.  Big-12 DEF are some of the worst in the nation.
Cousins has an ordinary arm nowhere near an NFL level arm. He is a 4th or 5th round talent. His accuracy stinks and he is a career back-up. IF that!

And the experts are saying Tannehill will have a higher grade than any QB in next years draft (Barkley, Jones...etc) based on his size, tools, and make-up.  And you have never seen a QB go from non-existent to a Top 5 pick. I have, his name is RGIII!!!! Last year it was CAM NEWTON!!!! Two guys who weren't anywhere on the NFL radar but played themselves into the #1 and now the #2 overall pick in the draft.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »

RG3 played himself into the top of the first.  At the conclusion of the season, Tannehill was not considered a first-rounder.  His explosive rise has not been based on his play, but rather the excessive over-analysis by talking heads.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray